Randy York: Was Nebraska a catalyst in 'Bama dynasty?

Nexus

I'd like to see Saban at Michigan State again... I'm sure he'd average around 8 wins a season.

People want too believe that he isn't an excellent college coach, but that just isn't true.... He is as good as there is.........

I highly doubt he would be having the success he has at Alabama as he would if he went back to MSU. Its the kids he can recruit at Alabama, and kids wanting to go to Alabama. Kids don't just want to go to MSU like they do the SEC. All the success can't go to just Sabin though. He isn't coaching all those kids alone. A decent amount of his success is due to his assistants. Something a lot of people tend to forget about. I think much of Alabama's defense has its success because of Kirby Smart than it does Nick Saban.

I'd like to see Saban at Michigan State again... I'm sure he'd average around 8 wins a season.

People want too believe that he isn't an excellent college coach, but that just isn't true.... He is as good as there is.........

Saban has been an excellent coach at places like LSU and Alabama. He'd be an excellent coach at places like Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Texas, USC without a doubt in my mind... But put him at Nebraska.. I just don't know.

2000- 8/4

2001- 10/3

2002- 8/5

2003- 13/1

2004- 9/3

48/16 @ 75% win ratio. He would have been reamed and fired if he was here at Nebraska during that time period. I wouldn't say he was a great coach at LSU, but I would say he was a decent one. One season he had a 1 loss.

Saban has been an excellent coach at places like LSU and Alabama. He'd be an excellent coach at places like Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Texas, USC without a doubt in my mind... But put him at Nebraska.. I just don't know.

2000- 8/4

2001- 10/3

2002- 8/5

2003- 13/1

2004- 9/3

48/16 @ 75% win ratio. He would have been reamed and fired if he was here at Nebraska during that time period. I wouldn't say he was a great coach at LSU, but I would say he was a decent one. One season he had a 1 loss.

Look at the recruiting classes. The first couple years tend to not factor in as much, as he doesn't have "his" kind of players yet.

Oh, and how many national titles does he have, regardless of talent? ----> See ND, USC, LSU, Texas.

Saban is the best coach in the NCAA. End of story. Stop this non-sense that you'd like to see him at MSU so that he would suck.

Saban might also be the best recruiting coach we have today, as well.

Saban has changed the direction of every program he's been apart of.

Saban is the head coach on the best team in college football. I guess if by default that makes him the best coach, then I suppose you can call him that. But IMO you can easily make a case for Chip Kelly or Urban Meyer for that matter as well.

2000- 8/4

2001- 10/3

2002- 8/5

2003- 13/1

2004- 9/3

Look at the recruiting classes. The first couple years tend to not factor in as much, as he doesn't have "his" kind of players yet.

Oh, and how many national titles does he have, regardless of talent? ----> See ND, USC, LSU, Texas.

Places like USC and Texas are kicking themselves every year because they know they should be in the national title conversation every single year. Some people at Nebraska are upset with Bo. But If Nebraska had that same kind of talent in our backyard as Texas and USC does and weren't winning 12 games a year, we'd be canning coaches every 2 or 3 years.

Saban is the best coach in the NCAA. End of story. Stop this non-sense that you'd like to see him at MSU so that he would suck.

Saban is the head coach on the best team in college football. I guess if by default that makes him the best coach, then I suppose you can call him that. But IMO you can easily make a case for Chip Kelly or Urban Meyer for that matter as well.

Chip Kelly was handed Oregon as an up and coming program to begin with. Oregon people weren't overly torn by him leaving, seeing as Helfrich is Chip Jr., supposedly. Chip is a good head coach, but he was handed that program in pristine condition.

Have a better case with Urban, but would still like to see what he does at OSU. Saban demands perfection, achieves it, and demands more. No one prepares like Saban. No one motivates like Saban. He also dominates the SEC, for the most part. Urban is close, we'll see.

Chip Kelly was handed Oregon as an up and coming program to begin with. Oregon people weren't overly torn by him leaving, seeing as Helfrich is Chip Jr., supposedly. Chip is a good head coach, but he was handed that program in pristine condition.

Have a better case with Urban, but would still like to see what he does at OSU. Saban demands perfection, achieves it, and demands more. No one prepares like Saban. No one motivates like Saban. He also dominates the SEC, for the most part. Urban is close, we'll see.

No one prepares like Saban? No one?

I highly doubt he would be having the success he has at Alabama as he would if he went back to MSU. Its the kids he can recruit at Alabama, and kids wanting to go to Alabama. Kids don't just want to go to MSU like they do the SEC. All the success can't go to just Sabin though. He isn't coaching all those kids alone. A decent amount of his success is due to his assistants. Something a lot of people tend to forget about. I think much of Alabama's defense has its success because of Kirby Smart than it does Nick Saban.

So you can just plug anyone in at Alabama and win? I don't think so, and the late 90's and earl 2000's proved that much. Every coach has too have great recruits too win championships, but you can't hold it against a guy that he was able too bring in top-shelf talent. Saban is the brains behind that Alabama defense, similar to the way Bo is here at Nebraska.

Harry---- Saban would win at Nebraska, and it wouldn't take him long too do it, IMO.....

So you can just plug anyone in at Alabama and win? I don't think so, and the late 90's and earl 2000's proved that much. Every coach has too have great recruits too win championships, but you can't hold it against a guy that he was able too bring in top-shelf talent. Saban is the brains behind that Alabama defense, similar to the way Bo is here at Nebraska.

Harry---- Saban would win at Nebraska, and it wouldn't take him long too do it, IMO.....

Well to each their own.

Nick Saban is benefitting from being an absolute workhorse as well. You can bet, just by judging his demeanor and character, that he just flat out works his ass off. He has found the necassary tips and tricks and has perfected his craft, and now he is essentially on cruise control. Just like Osborne did. What's gonna make Nick recognized as better than Osborne? The fact that Osborne stepped aside at the top of his game. That and that alone will allow the preceding event to happen. Nick may win 2 or even 3 more titles. Then he may get burned, have a couple of bad seasons and get ran out of town as a victim of the godawful, insatiable expectations he himself has created. As Osborne said at his resignation press conference "I feel it's important to be able to walk away while you can still walk and still function" etc. But what I really interpret that as is it's important to walk away while you can still walk, before you are run out of town.

No one prepares like Saban? No one?

I guarantee you won't find another college coach that prepares like him. Guarantee.

Chip Kelly might have the most efficient, well run practice sessions in all of sports, and I know Saban takes that to a whole new level. Very, very rarely is his team unprepared for something they may see in the game. You can't surprise Saban, really. They prepare for everything.

If Chip prepared his defense like his offense, maybe their would be an argument. But at this time, Saban combines great preparation, with great recruiting, with an absolutely brilliant mind and a thirst for success. (Essentially, take everything that made MJ the best bball player ever, transform it into football, and turn it into a coach. Smarter, works harder, and wants it more. That's Saban.)

Well to each their own.

What has Saban done in his coaching career too make you believe otherwise? He has done a lot more too support my argument, that is for sure....