Bill Simpson tackles football concussions

That's pretty cool, he's always been a great innovator of safety in the racing field, seats, harnesses, fire suites, helmets you name it. Weight is something that everyone has been trying to deal with for awhile now and I don't think it's easy to keep the helmets light and maintain integrity, padding, and comfort. I would guess, like in the car industry, to make something lighter it takes more exotic materials and those tend to be more expensive.

He brought up a point I've wondered about now for several years, why does the outside of the helmet have be harder and distribute the force? I know it spreads the force out and lessens the impact on any one area but why can't they come up with something similar to crash barriers on a high way or safer walls in racing, something that is softer and increase the time of impact absorbing more energy? Probably a tall order but I've felt for awhile now that's probably safer than what we have currently.