Seau Family sues NFL

True2tRA

I understand why they did this, I'm sure there is a lot of pain and sadness they are dealing with involving the loss of Junior Seau. To me though, suing the NFL is entirely the wrong way to go for two reasons.

One, it makes this look like a money grab. It makes it look like they are more interested in benefiting financially from all of this. I know it might be harsh to say, but wouldn't it be more respectful and helpful in the name of their lost family member to partner with the league in forming new ideas for safety. One of the points of the lawsuit stated that the NFL was negligent in deliberately ignoring the risks associated with traumatic brain injuries endured through an NFL career. Obviously the concussion issue has come to the forefront much more over the last five years or so, but I ask, what more can the NFL do? I mean, they have 'pussified' the game a lot as it is. They have clearly made a lot of changes, the fines are through the roof. Helmet technology is examined, then re-examined over and over again to find the best ways to protect players heads. I mean really, what more can they do? Make the NFL a flag football league? Which leads to point two.

How much will this damage the game as we know it? I don't know about some of you, but i really think the game has lost some value with the insane amount of roughing calls. I mean, I saw a play in the Falcons-Niners game where a Falcon "touched Kaepernicks' helmet and was penalized for roughing the passer. That call turned what was a third and long into a first down that changed the entire complexion of that game! That isn't the only call either. There have been so many the last few years it's hard to count. Yes, there have been some legitimate calls. Defensive players launching, or spearheading, towards defenseless recievers is dirty in my opinion. It should be called. To me, the rest of this stuff is just destroying the game. With lawsuits like this continuing, the damage to the game will only get worse.

These players know what they are getting into. They strive to compete at this level. They know the risks. They've played the game from the beginning of their lives. You can take serious hits at all levels of football. It's part of the game, and to me, even though I've taken a few brutal hits myself, I say it should stay part of the game ( I also dished them out). The offenses in the NFL and NCAA are setting records week in and week out. This is due to the protection the NFL is giving them across the board. It's diminishing the game. The stats, the records from the old days are being blown out of the water and everyone thinks it's because the players now are so great. Well, though that might be part of it, it is not the whole case. The game was different back then. The game was tougher. It was harder to earn the numbers. We had Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson both trying to break single season records in the same year. ALL TIME RECORDS. Records held by guys like Jerry Rice and Eric Dickerson! We have multiple quarterbacks throwing for 4500 yards now in a single season like it's just the "norm". Throw out the record books if this is what the game is coming to. In my opinion it is almost becoming a whole other game.

Question is, would Junior Seau have wanted his family to go on damaging a game that he devoted so much of his life to?

• Fire 2

I'd love to be sympathetic to their cause, but now I can't, because they've voluntarily become a part of what is wrong with people these days. Junior knew the risks he assumed every time he suited up, and so does everyone else who plays the game. Sure, what happened to Junior is tragic, but how is the NFL, or anyone else, to blame?

I doubt his family cares at all about the safety of the players currently in the NFL. They just want to use Junior's death as a way to make a lot of money.

• Fire 1
I'd love to be sympathetic to their cause, but now I can't, because they've voluntarily become a part of what is wrong with people these days. Junior knew the risks he assumed every time he suited up, and so does everyone else who plays the game. Sure, what happened to Junior is tragic, but how is the NFL, or anyone else, to blame? I doubt his family cares at all about the safety of the players currently in the NFL. They just want to use Junior's death as a way to make a lot of money.

I'll play devil's advocate.

Did he know he was at risk for dementia, memory loss, and severe depression? Did he assume those specific risks?

I'd love to be sympathetic to their cause, but now I can't, because they've voluntarily become a part of what is wrong with people these days. Junior knew the risks he assumed every time he suited up, and so does everyone else who plays the game. Sure, what happened to Junior is tragic, but how is the NFL, or anyone else, to blame? I doubt his family cares at all about the safety of the players currently in the NFL. They just want to use Junior's death as a way to make a lot of money.

I'll play devils advocate.

Did he know he was at risk for dementia, memory loss, and severe depression?

probably not, but neither did the nfl. and that is what they have to prove, that the nfl knew and did nothing. that will be near impossible, if not impossible.

probably not, but neither did the nfl. and that is what they have to prove, that the nfl knew and did nothing. that will be near impossible, if not impossible.

Youre playing a game. You are getting paid a sh#t-ton of money to play game. By playing that game you are running full speed into other people. Those same people are running full speed into you. You HAVE to know there are risks and that you assume them. You should know this the first time you ever put on a pair of shoulder pads or helmet.

Youre playing a game. You are getting paid a sh#t-ton of money to play game. By playing that game you are running full speed into other people. Those same people are running full speed into you. You HAVE to know there are risks and that you assume them. You should know this the first time you ever put on a pair of shoulder pads or helmet.

i was not disagreeing, and like i said, seau's family has to prove the nfl knew this would happen and did nothing to prevent it.

however, continuing the devil's advocate line of questioning, how much money is worth dementia, memory loss, severe dementia, and eventual suicide?

i was not disagreeing, and like i said, seau's family has to prove the nfl knew this would happen and did nothing to prevent it.

however, continuing the devil's advocate line of questioning, how much money is worth dementia, memory loss, severe dementia, and eventual suicide?

I know you werent disagreeing. I just quoted in order to lead into my comment.

As far as the question goes-There is no amount of money worth that to me. I'm sure there wouldnt have been for Seau either had he known this was going to happen. But we also need to note that there are also many players that played numerous years in the NFL that do not have any problems. But I also just dont know how you can blame the NFL for this. Yes they know now, but they did not know then. At some point in time, folks have to be held accountable (hehe). I'm sorry for the Seau family, and I agree that in this time of hardship they are looking for someone/something to blame. I am one that does not believe this is a cut and dried money grab, but it could be.

I know you werent disagreeing. I just quoted in order to lead into my comment.

As far as the question goes-There is no amount of money worth that to me. I'm sure there wouldnt have been for Seau either had he known this was going to happen. But we also need to note that there are also many players that played numerous years in the NFL that do not have any problems. But I also just dont know how you can blame the NFL for this. Yes they know now, but they did not know then. At some point in time, folks have to be held accountable (hehe). I'm sorry for the Seau family, and I agree that in this time of hardship they are looking for someone/something to blame. I am one that does not believe this is a cut and dried money grab, but it could be.

i agree completely. not to mention, past players are saying this now, but if you ask any player right now if they will continue playing even with the known risks, they will keep playing. and i think if you asked a lot of the players that are named in the class action suit at the time they were playing if they would sign a disclaimer or waiver, they gladly would to continue playing the game. this is all hindsight for them now, but i imagine they had a different disposition when they were younger and still playing.

Yes, you would have to know there were some risks, but did you know of those specific risks or the extent of those risks?

If the NFL did, and the players didn't, the future of the NFL is in a lot of trouble.

that will be very hard to prove.

There have been multiple studies going back years showing similar conclusions with CTE.

The NFL's inside research (PR) teams shrugged them off each time.

In response, the NFL Concussion Committee (“NFL Committee”) denied a link between concussions and cognitive decline, claimed that more research was needed to reach a definitive conclusion,8 and later stated: “[w]e own this field. We are not going to bow to some no-name Nigerian with some bullsh#t theory.”

Again, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.

I think this will take YEARS. Some things I've read guess it won't come to trial until 2018 (if ever).

what do you think will happen? you seem to suspect the nfl is in bigger trouble than i assume.

I think the NFL will settle. BILLIONS will be paid. The next CBA will be locked tight with assumption of liability.

EDIT: The ONE lawsuit dealing with concussion symptoms settled for a half million last summer. One person.