Seau Family sues NFL

True2tRA

I think this will take YEARS. Some things I've read guess it won't come to trial until 2018 (if ever).

what do you think will happen? you seem to suspect the nfl is in bigger trouble than i assume.

I think the NFL will settle. BILLIONS will be paid. The next CBA will be locked tight with assumption of liability.

that sounds about right. billions seems like a lot, though.

What more can the NFL do? It can't be any more clear that they have taken huge steps do prevent further head injuries. Steps that have damaged the game in my opinion. How much further will they damage the game? I mean, the players have to know the risks. Even knowing the risks, how many of them would quit? How many would give up those fat paychecks they get each week, knowing the damage they are doing? Don't most of us have jobs that come with inherent risks? None of us here (maybe a few of you) are making the kind of money these guys are making. I sacrifice my life and my body every day at work, and trust me, what I make isn't even a blip on these guys' radar. I know the risks going in. It's my job, and I'm good at it. I trust that my skills will keep me from being hurt or making a fatal mistake. No matter what, bad things can happen no matter what line of work your in. I wonder if there is really enough cases of this in the big picture to prove there wasn't other things wrong in Seau's head, besides the hits he took in the league?

It's just another issue with our nanny state/perfect world society. People make decisions. They make bad ones. But it's not THEIR fault. It has to be everyone else's fault. People cant accept that they f'd up and made the wrong choice. No no. There has to be someone/something to blame, because I'm perfect, and I don't deserve to have something go wrong. So we have to make it tougher on others for the sake of an idiot. The struggle for a perfect world continues. There is no more such a thing as "sh#t happens". Someone/something is ALWAYS at fault.

Rant dun. I'm off my soap box now.

:boxosoap:madash

I'd love to be sympathetic to their cause, but now I can't, because they've voluntarily become a part of what is wrong with people these days. Junior knew the risks he assumed every time he suited up, and so does everyone else who plays the game. Sure, what happened to Junior is tragic, but how is the NFL, or anyone else, to blame? I doubt his family cares at all about the safety of the players currently in the NFL. They just want to use Junior's death as a way to make a lot of money.

I'll play devil's advocate.

Did he know he was at risk for dementia, memory loss, and severe depression? Did he assume those specific risks?

Specifically, no, but you have to be aware that injuries will take their toll over time, and some could very well be with you the rest of your life. Obviously you can never know ahead of time what those injuries will be and how they could affect you, but the awareness that you're probably not going to be in as good of shape when you're 50 as someone who has never broken a bone or had a concussion has to be there.

I see this same sort of thing happening in motocross. Track owners have to have insurance and everyone (not just the riders) has to sign a liability release form before they set foot on the track because of the possibility of someone getting injured and going after the people who own or built the track. It's just another example of people trying to find someone else to blame for their own misfortune.

It's just another issue with our nanny state/perfect world society. People make decisions. They make bad ones. But it's not THEIR fault. It has to be everyone else's fault. People cant accept that they f'd up and made the wrong choice. No no. There has to be someone/something to blame, because I'm perfect, and I don't deserve to have something go wrong. So we have to make it tougher on others for the sake of an idiot. The struggle for a perfect world continues. There is no more such a thing as "sh#t happens". Someone/something is ALWAYS at fault.

Rant dun. I'm off my soap box now.

:boxosoap:madash

i do not think, in the grand scheme, it is as bad as that. however, this nfl suit is pretty ludicrous. it is a person's present self regretting what their past self did, even though if they were their past self right now they would make the same decisions. even with these lawsuits, you do not see any current players quitting. you might see parents a little more reluctant to sign their kids up, but that is different.

• 2 weeks later...