Best Linebackers in NU History

TGHusker

With the good news of Zaire Anderson today (100% health and medical redshirt given), I thought I'd create my last "best of" list before national signing day. When I think of great NU D players I first think of D line and DB. But NU has had some great Linebackers. My list below is in chronological order, I really have a hard time ranking the LBs :dunno -

If I had to pick a top 5: Barrett Ruud, L David, Marc Munford, Alberts, Novac

My MVP Award would go to LaVonte David: Not saying he is the best LB ever at NU (maybe he is), just that he carried the 2011 D on his back. Without him, we would had lost many more games IMHO. He had the least supporting cast - Dennard was hurt a good portion of the year and wasn't 100% when he came back.

Which current players or recruits do you think will be on the all time great LB list? I forecast Zaire Anderson will be the next L David.

NU has had:

Tackle Machines: Barrett Ruud, L David, Marc Munford, Tom Novak (1940s didn't see him play, just based on what I've read- pretty outstanding in his day)

Blitz Guys: D Williams, Alberts, L. David - all showing great speed

Fumble casuing guys like Brodrick Thomas

Top Family: Barrett Ruud #1 in tackles, Brother Bo # 22, Father Tom # 26.

My list: ( I am sure you can add many others to it)

Tom Novak 1940s

Jerry Murtaugh early 1970s

Lee Kunz mid 1970s

Clete Pillen mid 1970s

Tom Ruud late 1970s

Marc Munford mid 1980s

Broderick Thomas mid 1980s

Ed Steward early 1990s

Travis Hill early 1990s

Trev Alberts early 1990s

Octavious McFarlin (best name) mid 1990s

Jay Foreman Mid 1990s

Carlos Polk early 2000s

Demorrio Williams early 2000s

Barrett Ruud mid 2000s

Bo Ruud mid 2000s

Scott Shanle mid 2000

Steward Bradley mid 2000

LaVonte David 2010-11

Terrell Farley, even though he shone for only one year?

Even though the '95 defense was full of stars, Farley was a standout and always seemed to fly to the ball and be a disruptive force. Lavonte David reminded me a lot of TF, in fact.

I was going to but him down - but thought he had the biggest supporting cast. Wasn't he the one that got the sack in the end zone against Florida or did he get the sack just the play before that ( I think we had 2 safeties in a row but the zebras were too nice on the 1st one to Florida)

I always hear the old-timers saying Jerry Murtaugh was the best. I never saw him play, but when he's on the radio he sounds like John Wayne, so that's gotta count for something.

I do remember McFarlin, Foreman, and Shanle being solid players, but I never recall thinking that they were necessarily that great. Shanle has had a better NFL career than I remember him having in college.

I'm surprised that OP's list doesn't include more impressive names, but it seems like Nebraska has often had LBs who had flashes of brilliance from time to time but didn't really put together stellar careers. Imagine if Will Compton had played his whole career like he did this past season. Imagine if Corey McKeon had not peaked as a sophomore and become the poster boy of the Cosgrove era.

I always hear the old-timers saying Jerry Murtaugh was the best. I never saw him play, but when he's on the radio he sounds like John Wayne, so that's gotta count for something.

I do remember McFarlin, Foreman, and Shanle being solid players, but I never recall thinking that they were necessarily that great. Shanle has had a better NFL career than I remember him having in college.

I'm surprised that OP's list doesn't include more impressive names, but it seems like Nebraska has often had LBs who had flashes of brilliance from time to time but didn't really put together stellar careers. Imagine if Will Compton had played his whole career like he did this past season. Imagine if Corey McKeon had not peaked as a sophomore and become the poster boy of the Cosgrove era.

yea, like I said in the OP, I first think of D linemen and DB when I think of great NU D players. Very true about Compton and McKeon. Compton took so long to develop - I remember he was going to be a great linebacker coming out of HS. He was Bo's big recruit as a 1st time HC.

Trev Alberts really made his hay as a DE in the new 4-3 in late '92 and '93. I'm gonna be a subjective poo-head and leave him off the list-for number's sake. He's definitely one of the best though.

1)LaVonte David-no doubt. Only 2 years. Literally carried the team. Speculatively "saved" the 2011 season with his incredible, game-changing strip of Braxton Miller. A tackling machine. Everywhere. Had instincts like no one-ever. His performance as a rookie in the NFL shows his time here was no fluke, and has thus made numerous NFL gm's look like complete asshats. Imagine a full 4 years.

2) Bo Ruud-broke the tackle record. Regardless of the team's performance, that says a lot. Also had success in the NFL. Was a bright spot in a relatively dark time. *EDIT* Barrett, not Bo.

3) Ed Stewart-recruited as a safey, but moved to LB in the 4-3. As solid as there was. Butkus finalists.

4) Broderick Thomas

5) Kenny Walker-sometimes it's about more than just football.

Honorable mention: Foreman. DeMarrio. Polk. Novak. Munford.

That's my list.

Edit: Mike Croel comes to mind.

Trev Alberts really made his hay as a DE in the new 4-3 in late '92 and '93. I'm gonna be a subjective poo-head and leave him off the list-for number's sake. He's definitely one of the best though.

1)LaVonte David-no doubt. Only 2 years. Literally carried the team. Speculatively "saved" the 2011 season with his incredible, game-changing strip of Braxton Miller. A tackling machine. Everywhere. Had instincts like no one-ever. His performance as a rookie in the NFL shows his time here was no fluke, and has thus made numerous NFL gm's look like complete asshats. Imagine a full 4 years.

2) Bo Ruud-broke the tackle record. Regardless of the team's performance, that says a lot. Also had success in the NFL. Was a bright spot in a relatively dark time.

3) Ed Stewart-recruited as a safey, but moved to LB in the 4-3. As solid as there was. Butkus finalists.

4) Broderick Thomas

That's my list.

Croel was a Bronco, and a damn good Husker. Kenny Walker also a Bronco. A legend really.

I like your list, Stewart for sure is up there. I also give Polk a lot of props. How can one argue with Lavonte David being one of the best. You really have to have him up there. Trev is right up there with him though. Man we've had some good ones.

I will say this, the only one I don't agree with is your number two. Barrett Ruud was a stud, Bo wasn't nearly as productive. I know your a homer for anyone named Bo, (sarcasm) but come on man. I know you meant Barrett. But I can still give you a hard time about it.

2) Bo Ruud-broke the tackle record. Regardless of the team's performance, that says a lot. Also had success in the NFL. Was a bright spot in a relatively dark time.

4) Broderick Thomas

That's my list.

Croel was a Bronco, and a damn good Husker. Kenny Walker also a Bronco. A legend really.

I like your list, Stewart for sure is up there. I also give Polk a lot of props. How can one argue with Lavonte David being one of the best. You really have to have him up there. Trev is right up there with him though. Man we've had some good ones.

I will say this, the only one I don't agree with is your number two. Barrett Ruud was a stud, Bo wasn't nearly as productive. I know your a homer for anyone named Bo, (sarcasm) but come on man. I know you meant Barrett. But I can still give you a hard time about it.

God damn you right. Barret not Bo. Bo never did anything that made me say "wow", except saving our ass against Ball St. Consider it edited.

The reason I put LaVonte #1 is because when I pick mvp's and such, I have this thing where I try to imagine where the team would be without that person. Obviously, the worse off they would be means the more valueable they are. We can look back on that 2011 season and easily make a pretty grim assumption where the team would be without LaVonte David.

The reason I put LaVonte #1 is because when I pick mvp's and such, I have this thing where I try to imagine where the team would be without that person. Obviously, the worse off they would be means the more valueable they are. We can look back on that 2011 season and easily make a pretty grim assumption where the team would be without LaVonte David.

Same reason I made him my MVP. -

Here are 2 "IFs and BUTs" thoughts:

1. As someone noted before: What if L David had been in the program 4 years? I think we'd be thinking of him as the all time greatest D guy at NU instead of Suh or at least in the same conversation.

2. What if L David had not been here? What would we be thinking about Bo P (not Ruud) now - easily could have had back to back years of almost worse ever kind of D performances. I think he saves Bo's career with that stripped ball against OSU. (OK I may have overstated that - but it was VERY BIG) If we lose big to OSU (which we were on the way towards), I think it sets us back for the rest of the season. There would not have been the biggest comeback ever & we may not have been the come back kids this past year - the OSU comeback gave us the "We can do this" attitude for this past year IMHO. All very speculative I know - but his impact on 2011 cannot be underestimated.

1. As someone noted before: What if L David had been in the program 4 years? I think we'd be thinking of him as the all time greatest D guy at NU instead of Suh or at least in the same conversation.

2. What if L David had not been here? What would we be thinking about Bo P (not Ruud) now - easily could have had back to back years of almost worse ever kind of D performances. I think he saves Bo's career with that stripped ball against OSU. (OK I may have overstated that - but it was VERY BIG) If we lose big to OSU (which we were on the way towards), I think it sets us back for the rest of the season. There would not have been the biggest comeback ever & we may not have been the come backs kids this past year - the OSU comeback gave us the "We can do this" attitude for this past year IMHO. All very speculative I know - but his impact on 2011 cannot be underestimated.

I can go with that. I remember tellin my wife not long before that play that we were witnessing a 2007-like meltdown right before our eyes.

D. Williams represents Bo's D from 2003. Williams had more of a supporting cast than L David did in 2011 but in some ways had a similiar impact. He seemed to come out of no where (literally on the blitz package) to become a real spark plug for that D. He elevated Bo's stance in Huskerland. Bo came in after Frank's 7-7 year and created a D that either should have saved Frank's job or promoted Bo to HC - but that is a debate that has been on many threads before. I think D Williams made NU D exciting again. Because of his speed, he was almost unstoppable off of the corner. Pity those QBs.

2. What if L David had not been here? What would we be thinking about Bo P (not Ruud) now - easily could have had back to back years of almost worse ever kind of D performances. I think he saves Bo's career with that stripped ball against OSU. (OK I may have overstated that - but it was VERY BIG) If we lose big to OSU (which we were on the way towards), I think it sets us back for the rest of the season. There would not have been the biggest comeback ever & we may not have been the come backs kids this past year - the OSU comeback gave us the "We can do this" attitude for this past year IMHO. All very speculative I know - but his impact on 2011 cannot be underestimated.

I can go with that. I remember tellin my wife not long before that play that we were witnessing a 2007-like meltdown right before our eyes.

Funny that we end up wt 2 of the 2007 meltdowns the next year.