JUCO OT Carl Nicks

Player: Carl Nicks

Hometown: Salinas, CA

Position: OT

Height: 6’5.5”

Weight: 325

40 time: 5.09

Visit Date: December 9, 2005

Scholarships offered: Arkansas St., Washington, Nebraska, California, Louisville, Wisconsin

Favorites: Committed to Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: NR/

Bid Red Report:JC/ :star:star:star:star

Assessing the talent: He will ned to contribute right away to be considered a success. He has two years to play two.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 75% Anytime the Huskers can secure a visit, their odds go up dramatically.

Well since it is rumored that he is the 19 commit, I would think yeah we still go after him. SUpp. he commited, he just needs to go tell his family I think his dad wants him to stay in californa. He would def be a nice grap. Now if we could just get a Safety lol and a cb the class would be all but wraped up.

NH, the coaches are wanting Walton at DT from what I understand.

Yeah i am aware of that but Walton wants to play OT/OG in college. Does Blake have any tricks up his sleeve to convince him to come over to the defensive side of the ball? We will see

Then again, we could do what several programs do and tell him we will give him a chance to try out at offense but then switch him to defense.

Visit Date: December 9, 2005

Scholarships offered: Arkansas St., Washington, Nebraska, California, Louisville, Wisconsin

Favorites: Committed to Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: NR/

Bid Red Report:JC/ :star:star:star:star

Assessing the talent: He will ned to contribute right away to be considered a success. He has two years to play two.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 75%

Nicks to be a 'Husker

By GEORGE WATKINS

The Salinas Californian

The University of Nebraska football team opens its 2006 season Sept. 16 at national champion USC, and Carl Nicks intends to be part of the action.

Nicks, a 6-foot-5, 320-pound lineman from Hartnell College, made a verbal commitment to Nebraska on Sunday after visiting the campus this past weekend.

A graduate of North Salinas High School, Nicks will leave for Nebraska in May with his wife and two-year-old daughter.

He will be inserted as the left offensive tackle for the five-time national champion Cornhuskers.

After a tour of the football facility and married-players housing area, Nicks had a sit-down conversation with current Nebraska and former Oakland Raider coach Bill Callahan before making his decision.

"I was kind of star struck at

first,'' Nicks said. "But he (Callahan) was real nice. I liked everything about the school.''

Nebraska, which won national titles in 1970, 1971, 1994, 1995 and 1997, went 8-4 this year and plays Michigan Dec. 28 in the Alamo Bowl.

While Nicks received plenty of attention from other Division I schools, none were as persistent as Nebraska.

"About a week before our bowl game (Hartnell's Nov. 26 Graffiti Bowl) my phone was ringing off the hook,'' Nicks said. "A lot of schools like Cal were interested, but Nebraska was fired up every time they called.''

Nicks will make it official when he signs on what is known as National Letter of Intent Day - the first Tuesday in February.

The offer from Nebraska capped a sometime discouraging college career for Nicks, who was given a ride to New Mexico State as a defensive lineman straight out of high school.

He left New Mexico State after just one year.

"I just didn't feel comfortable there,'' Nicks said.

But he fit right in at Hartnell, where he was reunited with his high school line coach Max Matsuhara.

"The two people who have been my biggest supporters are my dad and Max,'' Nicks said. "Max is an awesome coach.''

The honors continue to roll in for Nicks. Since being named first-team All-Coast Conference, he was named to the state All-American first team and the All-NorCal squad.

"This proves that you can play at Hartnell, and if you work hard and have the skills, you don't have to go elsewhere to be noticed,'' Hartnell football coach Larry Souza said.

Souza said he sent Nebraska a tape of Hartnell's 66-60 win over Sequoias and five minutes into the film Nicks became a priority recruit.

"Callahan said, 'Let's go get him,''' Souza said.

Originally published December 13, 2005