I also had a root canal at about 18 years old. That basically removes the nerves from the inside. Many years later the tooth started to grey/darken so an endodontist would reopen the canal (no numbing required) and basically bleached it from the inside. Had that done quite a few times but eventually all the drilling weakened the tooth so they ground it off and put a crown on it. About two weeks later I hit myself in the mouth with a racquetball racquet and snapped off the tooth post. Had to have a metal post put in and a new crown. I am now 49 and for the past ten plus years have had to have it recemented about every two years. The original tooth root is now so worn that it can't be cemented anymore. Getting an implant on April 4th. I'd hate to tell ya the amount of money I've spent on this one tooth. It's front center top though, what am I gonna do? The implant hopefully will be the last $5-$6 grand I spend on it.

It still freaks me out that all the drilling etc after the original root canal has been done with no numbing. I was very nervous the first time he fired up the drill with no shot.

• 2 weeks later...