Season Tickets

So they were talking about season tickets for Husker Football this morning on the radio this morning. It sounds as though there are still some available for this upcoming season with the stadium expansion and the like. I am a current season ticket holder and have been for 3 or 4 years now. It is something that I plan on keeping up as long as I can and am in no way complaining about pricing or anything by this post, just curious what everyone else thinks.

My question, for those either in the know or are into marketing etc out there, how do you keep something cool while making increased revenues without raising prices too high that you price out the average consumer? I hear stories of people that have great seats and have had them for ever and pay almost nothing above their face value for the seats and then there are people who pay more for not as good of seats. Like everything else the prices have gradually gone up over time. Is the general public reaching their max in terms of what they can pay for season tickets and that is why there are still some available? Do some people think there is a huge waiting list and therefore do not even try hence the availability? What are your thought about the seat license or donation that season ticket holders have to make? Are there other areas the University can use to increase revenues while passing on some of that back to us by controlling the amount we have to pay?

What ideas do you have out there to combat this issue? It is always hard when you have something of value keeping it valuable and increasing revenues while still making it accessible to the entire fan base.

What say you Husker Nation?

This is somewhat in reference to some comments in Sip's column yesterday about the Big10 divisions and attendance in such. As long as the program is respectable and doesnt completely go into the tank callahan-style, there is not way in hell the AD will allow the sellout streak to end regardless of expansions and such. There will be promotions. Discounts on seats and/or donations. Every seat will be sold one way or another.

Also, I think ticket prices are ticket prices, but isnt placement based on donation amount?

Lastly, I never see myself getting season tickets. I've made every game I've wanted to over the last decade through the secondary market, whether it be the stubhubs and ticket hippos or people I know that are looking to sell there tickets for a particular game. 1, I dont really have the money for a donation of the caliber required for decent seats. 2, I get to sit in different seats throughout the stadium and experience different people. Im always afraid of getting season tickets next to some grumpy old fogie that makes attending a game a sh**ty experience and Im stuck there. Lastly, I get to pick and choose which games I want to go to without worrying about trying to dump my tickets if I cant make it.

All the tickets cost the same, the donation to get them is different, as accountability said.

I'm not sure what to make of stories about people keeping their seats for cheap as I've also heard stories of people having to give up their seats because they didn't want to pay more. The I would tend to think the latter is closer to the truth but it's hard to say.

You are grandfathered into the amount of donation you are currently making and they do not ask you to pay more unless you want to improve your seats, so if you have 50 yardline seats and have had them since 1965 and are paying face value for the seats but only making a $100 dollar donation you will continue to do so until you die, give them to someone else or cancel the tickets. So when I get older and want to pass on my seats to my children I can do so but they will pay current market value for them to transfer them in their name or if I cancel them the next person will pay more than I did.