JUCO OT Victory Haines

Juco lineman from Utah wants to be part of NU tradition

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Dec 10, 2005 - 11:59:35 pm CST

This time of year, Nebraska is looking for recruiting victories.

The Huskers received a sizable victory Saturday — 6-foot-7, 285-pound Victory Haines.

The offensive lineman from Snow (Utah) College gave Nebraska a verbal commitment to accept a scholarship offer, becoming the third player in three days to pledge to the Huskers.

“I feel the Nebraska coaching staff has a desire to win and knows how to win,” Haines said. “I also feel there’s a rich tradition, and I want to be a part of it.”

In the past two days, tight end/defensive end Ben Martin of Lincoln Southwest and safety/running back Corey Young of Millard North had given Nebraska verbal commitments. Haines got into the act Saturday, becoming the 17th player known to have committed to NU’s class of 2006.

Haines will have two seasons to play two at Nebraska. He plans to enroll at NU in January and be ready for spring practice. He turned down scholarship offers from Hawaii, Duke and New Mexico State and was receiving overtures from Illinois and New Mexico, he said.

At Snow College, Haines started every game during the last two seasons. He played right tackle this season, protecting a left-handed quarterback’s blind side, after playing right guard in 2004. He said Nebraska apparently is recruiting him to play tackle.

“I can play everything but center,” he said.

Haines was among seven recruits making official visits to the Nebraska campus this weekend. They attended the Huskers’ practice Saturday afternoon at the new indoor facility and later were on hand for the team’s banquet. Haines made his commitment to coach Bill Callahan before the banquet.

Nebraska offensive line coach Dennis Wagner played the lead role in Haines’ recruitment. A native of Logan, Utah, Haines becomes the fifth junior college player and fourth offensive lineman in the Huskers’ 2006 recruiting class.

I don't like it. I would have waited to the bitter end and picked up a high school kid. Even if he was way down on the list. These guys have to come in a produce right away. I don't see him doing this. How in the world is Haines going to ever get ahead of Murtha. Murtha's been here for over two years studying the playbook. Even if Haines knows the plays, he's not strong enough. Is he ready to play this January or does he report in May??

I don't like it. I would have waited to the bitter end and picked up a high school kid. Even if he was way down on the list. These guys have to come in a produce right away. I don't see him doing this. How in the world is Haines going to ever get ahead of Murtha. Murtha's been here for over two years studying the playbook. Even if Haines knows the plays, he's not strong enough. Is he ready to play this January or does he report in May??

maybe they are thinking what if murtha gets hurts, he hasn't been the healthiest person hell what about playing him at og he did that in 2004 or just provide depth for the line. Wagner saw the guy play must have liked something about him.

I like it and here's why.

We need help on the line NOW. It takes more than a year to build a solid, deep line out of HS kids. It takes longer than two years even. Hell, in the years we had oustanding line, wasn't it pretty rare if you started on OL before you were a sophmore or junior?

As far as studying the playbook, as a lineman you have zone blocking, man on man blocking. Does this kid know how to zone block? What does his JC team do now? To me, being a O lineman is more about technique then it is about individual plays.

Visit Date: Dec. 9, 2005

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, New Mexico, Illinois, New Mexico St, Hawaii, Rutgers, Duke

Favorites: Committed to Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: N/R

Bid Red Report: N/R

Assesing the talent: Physical guy who excells at pass blocking and plays in the same conference as Denzell Issac who is also visiting this weekend. He's from Snow College (Utah). He earned all confernce honors and was a second team all selection.

Odds of committing: 90%

• 2 weeks later...