I want to take a golf lesson. I've been playing for awhile and my handicapps around 10. I don't have any major flaws, but I just want to get better, more consistent with all clubs. Anyone take a lesson with a particular pro that has helped you out and you would recommend? I'd to stay in the Lincoln/Omaha area, but if it worth it, I'd drive awhile.

I'm out of touch with the local Nebraska pros since moving to Kansas but a couple of ideas: DO NOT go to a pro that has a 'system' they want to teach you. These pros will try to revamp your swing when it sounds like you need to tweak your game (with a 10 handicap that appears to be the case).

Do you track your stats from a round (fairways hit, greens in regulation, putts, ave driving distance, up and downs, etc) because the weaknesses of your game will be in the numbers. I play about 50 times a year and my handicap dropped to 10.4 last year. I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to get to the next step and a single digit, I was going to have to focus on more practice with an occasional tune up lesson from a pro. I have chosen to remain a low double digit golfer and not work at it.

I'm out of touch with the local Nebraska pros since moving to Kansas but a couple of ideas: DO NOT go to a pro that has a 'system' they want to teach you. These pros will try to revamp your swing when it sounds like you need to tweak your game (with a 10 handicap that appears to be the case).

Do you track your stats from a round (fairways hit, greens in regulation, putts, ave driving distance, up and downs, etc) because the weaknesses of your game will be in the numbers. I play about 50 times a year and my handicap dropped to 10.4 last year. I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to get to the next step and a single digit, I was going to have to focus on more practice with an occasional tune up lesson from a pro. I have chosen to remain a low double digit golfer and not work at it.

Actually, I just bought a hand held golf GPS device and it has the ability to track all the info you mentioned. I'll start doing so this year, but I know what my biggest issue is. I have trouble hitting greens consistently from inside150 yards. Therefore I need to get a bunch of up & downs from off the green throughout the round. When I do , I'll be in the 70's, if not, my score goes up to mid 80's.

A good local pro is a great tool.

If you don't find one you like, technology has allowed teaching through the internet. One of the best in the business is a young guy out of Jacksonville, Dan Carraher. He works with James Hahn and Matt Every on the PGA Tour. He has VERY reasonable rates and does lessons online. I think most would be shocked at his rates. If you have access to a camera or iPhone, I would highly recommend him.

dancarrahergolf.com/

It's definitely much easier to get video of your swing now to analyze and improve upon. Just make sure you do it properly or the video could be misleading.

Here's how (stolen from a post by a top-rated instructor in the nation)

1) from down the line (DTL), place the camera directly in line with the butt of the club at that height. If you don't have a tripod, use your bag or bag stand - those are about the same height. It's really important to aim the camera at the butt of the club and parallel to the target line - if you align the camera on the target line, the swing will look very different. Please don't have your friend hold the camera at eye-level - that doesn't work very well. Laying a club or alignment rod down below your hands, parallel to the target line tends to help when you're setting up the camera.

2) from face-on try to align the camera again directly at the butt of the club, perpendicular to the target line, again at butt of the club height. This is important for weight shift and ball position. I'm not trying to be nit-picky with angles, but it's pretty important to get these as close as possible if you want the best (and quickest) analysis.