OLB Richard Yeargin III

I think NU will only take one LB in this class, and I hope Yeargin is that guy. Great news that we are in his top 15. I would also like Jamarde Cobb, but he is primarily being recruited for RB (with an option to move to LB). Second on my list would be Jimmie Swain.

What makes you think we only take one LB this class, just wondering.

We graduated 7 (2 + 5) and pick up 8 (5 + 3) over the last two year. Only Anderson and Stakebaum will run out of eligibility this year. So, if my math is right, we only need one to break even. We could maybe add two LBs this year (if we get the right two), but I think there are other positions of need that should be focused on in this smaller class.

Anderson got a med redshirt he will be here for two years.

I've heard that the coaches said we will only be taking one lb, I imagine we will also take a hybrid like Gregory or Thomas Brown to stand up.

So, 3-4 instead of 1-2?

I'm no expert but my vote would be 2-3 each year.

Yup. Recruiting needs to be based upon the needs of the future, not who is graduating. Graduating classes can get off balance for a lot of reasons (redshirts, transfers, injuries, etc). That doesn't mean we need to keep them imbalanced going forward. Overall class size and the occasional immediate need will cause some variance, but in general we should strive to take roughly the same number at most positions most years. For LB that should be roughly 2-3 per year.

No one is graduating this year, atleast no scholly guys. It's already log jammed 2-3 more would be to many IMO. Els said they are looking to take one and I agree with that. We only have a hand full of offers out.

As I said above I bet they take a hybrid guy as well so i guess you can count that as 2 if you wanted but it will likely be a standup DE/OLB like this kid

We've taken 3 freshmen scholarship backers in each of the last two years... right now we will have 6 scholarship Freshmen. If you look at the classes ahead of them you have Santos, Anderson, and Roach as the only contributors...We have 3 years left including this upcoming season where we still have Afalava, Brown, Rose, Newby, Love, Banderas, and Santos. With Anderson and Roach graduating after the 2014 season, we can afford to easily take 1 LB this year and 2 the next year...IF we have 3-4 solid contributors out of the 6 freshmen we have now. Now I think there's a good chance Newby gets moved to Safety but that's another story. Take a look at each class of contributors below:

RSFR (Afalava, Brown, Rose)

TrFR (Newby, Love, Banderas).

SO (Santos) Pirman is moving to TE.

JR (Anderson, Roach)

SR (none that play)

I've noticed, If you look at our entire football roster. Each position has a player on team to player on field ratio of close to 20%. So for example... we have 28 OL on our roster for 2013. There are 5 spots on the field at a time... Which means at each position we have about 5 bodies. So 5 bodies competing for 1 spot gives each person about a 20% chance of earning that #1 spot. I've found each position to be about the same. If you look at scholarship players out of those 28, about 16 are scholarship guys.... so generally how it works is we have scholarships for a 3 deep and have enough walkons for a 2 deep. At LB, right now we have 15 bodies. Out of the 15 bodies, we have 8 or 9 if you count Pirman, scholarship players. It seems this trend carries out over all the positions. We want a 3 deep of scholarship players and a 2 deep of walkons. The hope is that we have a solid 60-65% of scholarship players develop like we hoped they would with about 30-35% who dont. Then hopefully out of a 2 deep of walkons we get a couple of guys who end up being diamonds in the rough who step up (like a spencer long or matt o'hanlon) to fill in for the scholarship players who didn't cut it.

So this year there's two linebackers I really like for us... #1 is this guy. #2 is Jimmy Swain. I think either could give us a good solid player for this class.

BTW... He is now 6'4" 225... and is projected at DE for many schools instead of LB. This may change things because we may want him at DE and Swain at LB.

Right, like I said above we want him as a stand up DE/OLB like Thomas Brown/ Afalava or Gregory should be. Swain would be our true LB target

I don't see Newby moving to safety he's going to be the real deal at LB

BTW... He is now 6'4" 225... and is projected at DE for many schools instead of LB. This may change things because we may want him at DE and Swain at LB.

Right, like I said above we want him as a stand up DE/OLB like Thomas Brown/ Afalava or Gregory should be. Swain would be our true LB target

I don't see Newby moving to safety he's going to be the real deal at LB

I think Newby needs to put on a good 10lbs of muscle to have the endurance and strength at the next level though. He's only listed at 210lbs at this time. I'd like to see him playing at 220... just for durability's sake. I think we redshirt him.

Ya I could see him getting a RS this year. He's going to a bit behind because he is still working on getting qualified. He got the grade he needed just won't clear in time to make the first summer session, might make the second but he should be fine by fall for sure.

We can't forget about Love at MLB either, word has it he has passed up Rose and he is picking up the D like a second year LB

If nobody ever got hurt, transferred or just plain didn't pan out, I'd agree with you guys. However, in real life, less than half of kids work out for whatever reason, and you had better plan for that by continually recruiting balanced classes at all positions.

If nobody ever got hurt, transferred or just plain didn't pan out, I'd agree with you guys. However, in real life, less than half of kids work out for whatever reason, and you had better plan for that by continually recruiting balanced classes at all positions.

True. But I still think we can get away with 1-2 in this years class. We need to focus a lot of energy on DB's with how many we have leaving over the next couple of years. We have a lack of young guys at the CB/NB spots. Next year I think we take 3 LBers again.

I'm OK with two and we'd likely survive fine with just one. I'm just leery of leaving holes in a long term depth chart, like we did by hardly taking any corners for a few years.

Yeah I think the hardly taking any corners for a few years is a huge hurt for us that we are going to endure over the next few years. One year it's okay. But two or more is problematic. I'm real nervous about them bringing in all these guys this year who are going to have to step it up and play next year and the year after without much experience.

I understand what you saying but I'm just quoting coach Els here, he said were only taking one, and it would be hard to get a couple quality guys with our depth chart anyway. I'd be good with two, but I think we need 5 DBs this cycle as well.

Yeargin plans to visit Ohio St on June 15! Wish we could have got him to come to Lincoln on that date for BRW instead. He already released his Top 15 on June 6 (as posted by Ed Helms). Ohio St wasn't on it (and have not offered yet), but Urban has been working on teammate Quincy Wilson (who will also be going to Ohio St on June 15 and is projected to commit to the Buckeyes). Hope we can still make a play for Yeargin.

Sidenote, both Yeargin and Wilson are invited to The Opening (along with their QB Sean White). University School is full of talent this year, and it shows with three guys out of one program going to The Opening.

BMFmEBlCcAAqpTD-300x300.jpg