My fellow Christians, what would Pentecost look like Today?

What makes your list the true objective? It is good stuff but hardly trumps:

1. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
  2. “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
  3. If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.
  4. Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
  5. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
  6. Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
  7. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.
  8. For the word of God is living and active
  9. Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.
  10. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God

1. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
  3. If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.
  4. Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
  7. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.
  10. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God

What makes it the true objective is the simple question of why God has called us to do all 10 things that you just listed. What is the chief purpose in mind?

All of those things point towards God's glory. Man was made in God's image, as a reflection of God's nature, and the commandments and obedience we are called to is a calling to be more in that image, chiefly, showing more glory. Those things are not ends in themselves; they are means by which the end, God's glory, is accomplished.

What makes it the true objective is the simple question of why God has called us to do all 10 things that you just listed. What is the chief purpose in mind?

All of those things point towards God's glory. Man was made in God's image, as a reflection of God's nature, and the commandments and obedience we are called to is a calling to be more in that image, chiefly, showing more glory. Those things are not ends in themselves; they are means by which the end, God's glory, is accomplished.

For the benefit of mankind. For the betterment of all people. I am not sure why there is any doubt or discussion about this. Glorification of God isn't the end all, be all. God isn't that vain.

For the benefit of mankind. For the betterment of all people. I am not sure why there is any doubt or discussion about this. Glorification of God isn't the end all, be all. God isn't that vain.

It's not vanity because God is actually rightfully deserving of glory and praise. The definition of our fallen state and sin is God not being glorified and honored and praised as He ought to by humans who live for self rather than for Him. If you think that mankind is the center of the narrative of Scripture you're being fed some bad and dangerous teaching.

It is God's presence, and not our own, that we severely lack and are in desperate need of in life. If God's love for us made US central and focused on OUR value, it would distract us from what is most precious, namely, Himself. God's focus on Himself is the most loving thing towards us imaginable. The idea that the narrative of Scripture is the benefit and betterment of all people does not seem in compatibility with the Son of God giving up his heavenly rights to be tortured and murdered on the cross, with God allowing Satan to decimate all areas of Job's life, or with Paul's thorn in his side that he pleaded to be removed and God purposefully said no.

When Jesus is praying his priestly prayer in intercession for mankind, notice how the focus is barely even actually on mankind:

"When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed."

This is the way that God incarnate prayed while being loving towards mankind; he prayed that his glory would be upheld and displayed. Why? Because his glory is our hope.

Also notice how Jesus chooses not to heal Lazarus, and what his motivation in doing so is:

"Now a certain man was ill, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. 2 It was Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was ill. 3 So the sisters sent to him, saying, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.” 4 But when Jesus heard it he said, “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”

5 Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. 6 So, when he heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was."

You are right. Jesus' words are all about Glory and nothing about how we treat others. Glory, glory, glory---that's all that seemed to matter to him. I forgot.

I see where you are coming from. On the other hand, I think the way we treat others could be considered a form of glorifying God.

edit: I'm just jumping in here at the end of this thread. I did not read all the back and forth. lol

A real response, I meant. But that's okay too.

#16.

1. Be kind, tenderhearted and forgiving towards one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Scripture is saying do those things as a reflection of God. Make your nature more like His. In other words, God is receiving more glory when you do these things.

2. That you love one another as I have loved you. The greatest commandment being loving God. Same thing as #1.

3, 4, 5, 6. same idea

7. Do what is honorable in the sight of all. Honorable in who's sight? God's, of course. He defines what is honorable, and He is the only one deserving of honor. Do what is honorable is synonymous with "live in honor of".

8. Not sure why you included this.

9. Be imitators of God, because God's glory is broadcast most brightly through vessels that look the most like him. Think of it like this; the Mona Lisa is a glorious piece of art. Imitation paintings, the further they are from actually looking identical, don't bring the justice or glory it deserves. However, a near replica, a superb imitation, shows off it's glory that much more.

10. See #1 and so on. All of that being a sacrifice TO God.