Where does Carbon really come from - Global warming issue

OK......

Humans play a part in global warming.

Every system of continual improvement I have been involved with is based around the theory that you tackle the largest problems first.

So.....

a) What country is producing the most pollutants?

b) What is the main sources of those pollutants?

China produces almost 29% more CO2 than we do and are at the top of the list of polluting countries.

Sources of their pollution.

Well, they are a problem,no doubt about that. But I guess I like to focus on our own issues first. Your link makes me glad that I've managed to avoid travelling to China for business throughout the years. I don't claim to be an expert on any of this stuff, but I'd be interested in hearing what people's opinions are on what our country should do if we would take action.

that picture of china on a rainy day compared to a 'sunny' day - I'd hope for rain every day.

Solutions: (move forward on all options)

1. Move ahead wt nuclear - clean, proven technology - for the most part has been safe but we all know the risks from the accidents in USSR, Japan, Three Mile.

2. Continue wind farm development as well as solar

3. Develop bio fuels other than corn (food based). Even using the waste products/oils from restaurants, etc.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/biofuels/10-biofuel-crops.htm#page=0

This article lists the top 10 bio sources but says # 1 is Switchgrass:

Forget corn. The heck with soybeans. Don't even mention palm oil. If anyone wants to take a look at the wonder plant that has the potential to reduce the world's appetite for oil and save the planet from global warming, drive through the Great Plains and look out the window. What you will see is grass -- switchgrass.

Unlike corn, using the cellulose in switchgrass to make ethanol requires less energy from fossil fuels. Furthermore, cellulose ethanol contains more energy than corn ethanol, so there's a dramatic reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. Although there are no great switchgrass plantations or farms, scientists are currently working on various methods to make switchgrass the energy of the future. For example, researchers at Auburn University in Alabama grew test plots of switchgrass that produced 15 tons of biomass per acre. The scientists say that each acre can also produce 1,150 gallons of ethanol each year [source: Oak Ridge National Laboratory].

When farmers begin growing switchgrass as an energy crop, they will use less fertilizer, pesticides and water. The neat thing about switchgrass is that as a perennial, farmers only have to plant it once. Scientists say switchgrass provides five times as much energy as it takes to grow, and it grows on marginal land not used for farming. Therefore, farmers are not taking cropland away from food production [source: Biello].

In the interim:

1. CNG for autos - burns cleaner and is abundant. Get a system, through incentives, of CNG stations established along freeways.

Also find ways to reduce cost of the hydrogen car

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/05/02/toyota-hydrogen-fuel-cell/2128523/

2. Burn more of our own oil - and get more of it out of the ground - reduce the costs and pollution of transporting oil around the world. I thought I had heard that our oil burns cleaner than Saudi oil anyway - perhaps someone can confirm. I know the oil sands of Canada isn't a clean alternative - however we are burning a lot of it.

3. Expand development of methane hydrate - as a bridge fuel - abundant and burns much cleaner than most fossil fuels -Interesting article - the blessing and curse if we never run out of oil (fossil fuels)

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/05/what-if-we-never-run-out-of-oil/309294/

• Fire 1

OK......

Every system of continual improvement I have been involved with is based around the theory that you tackle the largest problems first.

So.....

China produces almost 29% more CO2 than we do and are at the top of the list of polluting countries.

Well, they are a problem,no doubt about that. But I guess I like to focus on our own issues first. Your link makes me glad that I've managed to avoid travelling to China for business throughout the years. I don't claim to be an expert on any of this stuff, but I'd be interested in hearing what people's opinions are on what our country should do if we would take action.

Can we do both? That would be the best situation for our industries that compete directly with China. I want clean air and water. I believe if we want that for our industries in the US, we should demand that for any industry that imports to the US.

OK......

So.....

that picture of china on a rainy day compared to a 'sunny' day - I'd hope for rain every day.

Solutions: (move forward on all options)

1. Move ahead wt nuclear - clean, proven technology - for the most part has been safe but we all know the risks from the accidents in USSR, Japan, Three Mile.

2. Continue wind farm development as well as solar

3. Develop bio fuels other than corn (food based). Even using the waste products/oils from restaurants, etc.

http://www.howstuffw...rops.htm#page=0

This article lists the top 10 bio sources but says # 1 is Switchgrass:

Forget corn. The heck with soybeans. Don't even mention palm oil. If anyone wants to take a look at the wonder plant that has the potential to reduce the world's appetite for oil and save the planet from global warming, drive through the Great Plains and look out the window. What you will see is grass -- switchgrass.

Unlike corn, using the cellulose in switchgrass to make ethanol requires less energy from fossil fuels. Furthermore, cellulose ethanol contains more energy than corn ethanol, so there's a dramatic reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. Although there are no great switchgrass plantations or farms, scientists are currently working on various methods to make switchgrass the energy of the future. For example, researchers at Auburn University in Alabama grew test plots of switchgrass that produced 15 tons of biomass per acre. The scientists say that each acre can also produce 1,150 gallons of ethanol each year [source: Oak Ridge National Laboratory].

When farmers begin growing switchgrass as an energy crop, they will use less fertilizer, pesticides and water. The neat thing about switchgrass is that as a perennial, farmers only have to plant it once. Scientists say switchgrass provides five times as much energy as it takes to grow, and it grows on marginal land not used for farming. Therefore, farmers are not taking cropland away from food production [source: Biello].

In the interim:

1. CNG for autos - burns cleaner and is abundant. Get a system, through incentives, of CNG stations established along freeways.

Also find ways to reduce cost of the hydrogen car

http://www.usatoday....l-cell/2128523/

2. Burn more of our own oil - and get more of it out of the ground - reduce the costs and pollution of transporting oil around the world. I thought I had heard that our oil burns cleaner than Saudi oil anyway - perhaps someone can confirm. I know the oil sands of Canada isn't a clean alternative - however we are burning a lot of it.

3. Expand development of methane hydrate - as a bridge fuel - abundant and burns much cleaner than most fossil fuels -Interesting article - the blessing and curse if we never run out of oil (fossil fuels)

http://www.theatlant...-of-oil/309294/

Well I agree with the switchgrass vs. corn. I've been saying that for about 5 years now. +1 to you sir for all the information you referenced

OK......

So.....

Can we do both? That would be the best situation for our industries that compete directly with China. I want clean air and water. I believe if we want that for our industries in the US, we should demand that for any industry that imports to the US.

After having to show Chinese engineers how we make products here in the States about a dozen times so we can move the production over there I don't want to even mention that country. BTW, those guys have zero ability to troubleshoot, have an original thought or develop a process on their own. Whenever anything goes wrong over there, guess who they call for help. As far as I'm concerned China is going to do whatever it wants and the rest of the world won't be able to do much about it. I'd rather worry about us and would like us to be an example for the rest of the world. At this point, I don't see that happening.

OK......

So.....

Oh really? China produces 29% more CO2 than the US? Well their population is 419% larger than that of the United States. On a per capita basis the United States produces over 3 times the carbon emissions that China does. The United States has among the highest carbon emissions of any nation and among nations of any sizeable population to speak of, only Australia and Canada come close, but of course their populations are much much lower than that of the US. WE are the ones to blame for the most irresponsible environmental abuse when it comes to carbon emissions.

OK......

So.....

Oh really? China produces 29% more CO2 than the US? Well their population is 419% larger than that of the United States. On a per capita basis the United States produces over 3 times the carbon emissions that China does. The United States has among the highest carbon emissions of any nation and among nations of any sizeable population to speak of, only Australia and Canada come close, but of course their populations are much much lower than that of the US. WE are the ones to blame for the most irresponsible environmental abuse when it comes to carbon emissions.

At least we reduced in the past couple years. That's a start, albeit a very small one.

This is a great thread. Most of the key aspects of dishonesty are on display.

1. Cherry Pick'n Data

True or False: "released data showing that there has been no statistically significant stock market change for almost 12 years between April 1997 and April 2009."

2. False Context

If your Dr. told you five years ago to lose weight and as a result you went from 275 lbs to 270 lbs. and then you took a 4 day cruise, that cruise ship "in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control" your weight if you gained 4 lbs. on the trip.

"Of course you know about these evil calories that we are trying to suppress - it’s that vital energy unit that is required for us humans and all animal life.

I know, it's very disheartening to realize that all of the calorie savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of drinking bud light, getting diet coke with your Big Mac Extra Value Meal, trying sushi that one time, parking one row futher away from the office front door, cutting back at the Val's Buffett to either brownies or blondies but never both ...well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

3. Factual Errors

The fossil fuels emissions numbers are about 100 times bigger than even the maximum estimated volcanic CO2 fluxes.

4. "Deliberate Ignorance"

Abe Lincoln made it a crime to sell the army a bunch of rations that--while you might not be 100% sure that they are spoiled and not fit to eat--you have enough brains that it would be foolish for you to assume they where not spoiled. Deliberate Ignorance in posting false things to a message board isn't a crime, but just because something isn't illegal doesn't mean you should do it.

tumblr_m7n12dkXdP1qkmmne.gif

OK......

So.....

Very true. Is that due to China being such a great steward of the environment? Or is it a result of their economic situation throughout their population.

LINK

Almost 30% of China's population live on under $2 per day. I'm sure that number sky rockets for the amount that lives under $5-10 per day. It's pretty hard to live in a manner that consumes carbon burning energy in those conditions.

Now, I'm assuming there is nobody here who wants to put more and more of our population in that category so they stop consuming energy from carbon.

Compare their environment around their industries and tell me they are doing a much better job than we are.

• Fire 1

If we are going to key on the US because we are such horrible people compared to the rest of the world.....

LINK

61% of our greenhouse gases come from either transportation or electricity generation.

So.....what are you willing to do to cut this down? It has been stated that we produce 3 times per capita the CO2 that China does. So....let's use that as a goal.

What are you willing to do in your life to cut down 2/3s of your driving and electricity useage?

Air conditioning is a major usage of electricity. Are you willing to go without that this summer?

I bet most of my driving is to and from kids activities. I guess we can cut those out and we would save that driving. Anyone willing to do that?

These are things that I'm sure the people living on $2 per day do without.

LINK

At any level of development, human impact on the environment is a function of population size, per capita consumption and the environmental damage caused by the technology used to produce what is consumed. People in developed countries have the greatest impact on the global environment. The 20 per cent of the world’s people living in the highest income countries are responsible for 86 per cent of total private consumption compared with the poorest 20 per cent, who account for a mere 1.3 per cent. The richest fifth account for 53 per cent of carbon dioxide emissions, the poorest fifth, 3 per cent. A child born in the industrial world adds more to consumption and pollution levels in one lifetime than do 30-50 children born in developing countries. As living standards rise in developing countries, the environmental consequences of population growth will be amplified with ever-increasing numbers of people aspiring, justifiably, to "live better." Rather than assign blame in the debate over environmental challenges, both current and new consumers need to realize and address the consequences of their levels of consumption.

How are you willing to commit to consuming less?

LINK

At any level of development, human impact on the environment is a function of population size, per capita consumption and the environmental damage caused by the technology used to produce what is consumed. People in developed countries have the greatest impact on the global environment. The 20 per cent of the world’s people living in the highest income countries are responsible for 86 per cent of total private consumption compared with the poorest 20 per cent, who account for a mere 1.3 per cent. The richest fifth account for 53 per cent of carbon dioxide emissions, the poorest fifth, 3 per cent. A child born in the industrial world adds more to consumption and pollution levels in one lifetime than do 30-50 children born in developing countries. As living standards rise in developing countries, the environmental consequences of population growth will be amplified with ever-increasing numbers of people aspiring, justifiably, to "live better." Rather than assign blame in the debate over environmental challenges, both current and new consumers need to realize and address the consequences of their levels of consumption.

How are you willing to commit to consuming less?

Well, we recycle as much as possible, use cloth diapers for our child, have canvas grocery bags and reusable produce bags, have a vegetable garden where we grow a fair bit of our own food, and a rain barrel to collect water from the gutters for watering plants. The very basics that everyone should be doing, really.