Archie Griffin vs. Tommie Frazier

knapplc

Archie Griffin vs. Tommie Frazier   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Griffin is the second player in this round to face back-to-back Cornhuskers. Griffin defeated Rich Glover in the last round, but faces a much sterner test in Frazier.

#2 seed Archie Griffin cruised his way to the Elite Eight having defeated:

#63 Sterling Sharpe

#34 George Gipp

#47 Rich Glover

Archie's opponents earned a grand total of five points through the tournament, with all five going to Glover in the last round.

Touchdown Tommie Frazier fought his way to the Elite Eight after defeating:

#55 John Hannah

#23 Sammy Baugh

#3 Jim Brown

Tommie's opponents have earned a total of five votes - two for Hannah and three for Jim Brown.

I think Griffin is over-rated in this bracket. The two Heismans stand out but I'm wondering if that was more for lack of competition (publicity-wise) than outstanding play. His senior year he ran for 1400+ yards, averaged 5.5 yards per carry and scored 4 TDs. In fact, the next three RBs in the Heisman voting that year all had significantly better stats than Griffin. His junior year was better at 1600 yards, 6.6 ypc and 12 TDs.

I guess you can argue that Frazier's stats weren't elite either but he has National Championships to bolster his resume.

I think Griffin is over-rated in this bracket. The two Heismans stand out but I'm wondering if that was more for lack of competition (publicity-wise) than outstanding play. His senior year he ran for 1400+ yards, averaged 5.5 yards per carry and scored 4 TDs. In fact, the next three RBs in the Heisman voting that year all had significantly better stats than Griffin. His junior year was better at 1600 yards, 6.6 ypc and 12 TDs.

I guess you can argue that Frazier's stats weren't elite either but he has National Championships to bolster his resume.

I still can't believe he beat out Glover.

Rich Glover is one the greatest Huskers of all time.