I had a status earlier today referencing this, but I'll start a thread for a more in-depth exchange with all of you. It's going to be my Wife and I's 5th anniversary this year, and she is wanting to vacation somewhere. The anniversary is in September, so I suggested a Husker game. Well, that's not going to work for her. We have the necessary funds for a decent vacation, but I would like to do something as affordable as possible, with my stance being that vacations are a waste of money. Any suggestions?

i am a pretty big fan of the black hills. my wife and i spent a couple nights in a hotel and a couple nights camping out there. it was a lot of fun.

Any attractions to speak of?

the obvious is mount rushmore and then crazy horse. then there are some cool caves. you could spend the day at keystone (pretty tourist-y, but not a bad time). needles highway is cool, the badlands are not too far away, custer state park has some buffalo (my favorite animal). just a cool place to take it easy and plan a few things out. no need to rush around. a lot of cruising or hiking. you could spend a fancy night at downtown rapid or go up to deadwood for a nice dinner. deadwood also has a tatanka museum or park or something, but i enjoyed it. a lot to do in a pretty concentrated area, but you get to go at your own pace and do as much or as little as you would like.

edit: there are a lot of campgrounds and hotels, but i would recommend planning ahead on where you want to stay at night. we just showed up and struggled a little bit to find the type of places we would like to stay at. it worked out, but it was a little stressful at first.

also, reptile gardens and some bear exhibit.

• Fire 1

i am a pretty big fan of the black hills. my wife and i spent a couple nights in a hotel and a couple nights camping out there. it was a lot of fun.

Any attractions to speak of?

the obvious is mount rushmore and then crazy horse. then there are some cool caves. you could spend the day at keystone (pretty tourist-y, but not a bad time). needles highway is cool, the badlands are not too far away, custer state park has some buffalo (my favorite animal). just a cool place to take it easy and plan a few things out. no need to rush around. a lot of cruising or hiking. you could spend a fancy night at downtown rapid or go up to deadwood for a nice dinner. deadwood also has a tatanka museum or park or something, but i enjoyed it. a lot to do in a pretty concentrated area, but you get to go at your own pace and do as much or as little as you would like.

edit: there are a lot of campgrounds and hotels, but i would recommend planning ahead on where you want to stay at night. we just showed up and struggled a little bit to find the type of places we would like to stay at. it worked out, but it was a little stressful at first.

also, reptile gardens and some bear exhibit.

Fantastic, thanks man....

Sounds like you might be close to Memphis, TN. Lots of fun stuff to do/see if you are into the music scene...and the food is awesome.

tennessee is full of cool places. i really like chattanooga. spent a day there and recall wising i could have spent more time there. you could do a road trip through tennessee (memphis, nashville, chattanooga) then go to charleston and end up at savannah. that would be a fun trip.

Niagara Falls is an inexpensive place to visit. But it might cost a bit to get there. And although it's impressive, it is sort of a one-trick pony.

what better place to take your wife on an anniversary than the wettest place on earth?

fry.jpg