Gay crackdown at the Olympics?

http://tv.msnbc.com/...ympic-visitors/

Six weeks have passed since Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law one of the harshest restrictions on LGBT expression in recent memory, sparking an international outcry and a corresponding spike in anti-gay violence. Six months remain before more than 40,000athletes, volunteers, and members of the press are expected to flock to Sochi for the 2014 Winter Olympics. Nearly 750 Americans will join the Team USA delegation, according to the U.S. Olympic Committee, but thousands more are expected to attend, including families, journalists and sponsors.

http://www.huffingto..._b_3744891.html

Many have called on the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to make strong statements against these laws, and some have even called for them to move the 2014 Winter Olympics from Sochi, Russia, to a place that is more accepting of all athletes. The IOC responded by declaring that they'd spoken to Russian authorities and had been assured that Olympic athletes and fans would be exempt from the anti-gay laws while in Sochi. Not so fast, responded Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko, who made it clear that Olympic athletes and fans would have to respect the host country's bigoted laws. And today, Russia's Interior Ministry stated unequivocally that the anti-gay laws will be enforced during the Olympic Games in Sochi.

The IOC's spokesperson replied, "[T]he IOC has a clear rule laid out in the Olympic Charter (Rule 50) which states that the venues of the Olympic Games are not a place for proactive political or religious demonstration. This rule has been in place for many years and applied when necessary." Indeed, Rule 50 of the IOC's charter states, "No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas."

I've seen the idea of a US boycott of the Socchi games brought up for the Snowden thing, but to be honest, I think it should be discussed in context of Russia's new anti-gay laws and the IOC's lack of support for gay athletes.

This is why you should never enter an agreement with Russia. How soon we forget Stalin and WWII.

I see what you're saying, but comparing anti-gay laws (I think maybe up to $1000 in flines, 30 days in the clink) to the Gulag is quite a stretch.

both are forms of oppression. i guess you could say they are a little more progressive now that they do not exile citizens, but it is still not a free country.

This is why you should never enter an agreement with Russia. How soon we forget Stalin and WWII.

I see what you're saying, but comparing anti-gay laws (I think maybe up to $1000 in flines, 30 days in the clink) to the Gulag is quite a stretch.

both are forms of oppression. i guess you could say they are a little more progressive now that they do not exile citizens, but it is still not a free country.

I agree, however, these laws aren't so far-reaching that cops are going into homes and breaking things up. It would be like going to certain Muslim countries where women are required to cover their hair when in public. The laws aren't saying you can't be gay, but that public displays are forbidden the same way that there would be repercussions if women were to show hair.

I agree, however, these laws aren't so far-reaching that cops are going into homes and breaking things up. It would be like going to certain Muslim countries where women are required to cover their hair when in public. The laws aren't saying you can't be gay, but that public displays are forbidden the same way that there would be repercussions if women were to show hair.

yeah. i do not think we are arguing. we just responded differently to that post. russia is definitely a different country than it was during the soviet era, but it is still backwards in many respects. but most countries are.

yeah. i do not think we are arguing. we just responded differently to that post. russia is definitely a different country than it was during the soviet era, but it is still backwards in many respects. but most countries are.

I know! That's why I can't wait to go there!

i hear it is a great place to take your kids.

I don't know man, I wouldn't want to do 30 days in a Russian jail...

i hear it is a great place to take your kids.

No way, man. The cost of those visas adds up REALLY quick.

It's really not just about the fine and 30 days in jail. It should be noted that Russian police are turning a blind eye to violence against gays by others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/world/europe/gays-in-russia-find-no-haven-despite-support-from-the-west.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Few gay people in Russia openly acknowledge their sexual orientation, and those who do are often harassed. When some gay people protested the propaganda law by kissing outside the State Duma, the lower house of Parliament, police officers stood by and watched as the demonstrators were doused with water and beaten by antigay and religious supporters of the bill.

Rights advocates said that Russia was growing more dangerous for gay people. This year, there have been at least two killings motivated by antigay bias in the country, includingthe savage beating death in May of a young man in Volgograd who was also sodomized with beer bottles.

Mr. Smirnov said that even in Moscow and in St. Petersburg, where there are large gay populations, as well as a thriving and visible gay night life that includes several gay bars and clubs, bias was inescapable.

“If you ask gays in Moscow whether they were attacked, or insulted, practically everyone will admit that it happened to him,” he said. “We are just at the very, very beginning of the movement for the rights of gays. And this new law, you know, it seals our mouths and ties our hands and feet.”

It's really not just about the fine and 30 days in jail. It should be noted that Russian police are turning a blind eye to violence against gays by others.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

To be fair, Russian police turn a blind eye to A LOT of stuff, especially if you're carrying enough roubles.

That's not the point, the point is you can't trust the Russian police to provide safety for our athletes and citizens who might attend the games.

The point I was making was that Russia implemented this law prior to the Olympics knowing full well that the IOC would not be able to do anything about it. This is Russian politics at it's best. Now everyone will have to walk in fear while in Sochi.

• Fire 1

The point I was making was that Russia implemented this law prior to the Olympics knowing full well that the IOC would not be able to do anything about it. This is Russian politics at it's best. Now everyone will have to walk in fear while in Sochi.

Everyone? That's a bit of fear-mongering