Where do we look for the remaining 4

dont athletic scholarships require a 2.0 gpa. listening to some of these guys during interviews on t.v. i think that 3.0 could be difficult to maintain unless the major was underwater basket weaving.

Not sure what you mean by "listening to them on tv"

If you mean some don't come off as sounding smart and the way they talk, you have to understand that not all of these kids are camera friendly. If you listen to Ross, Corey McKeon, Zac Taylor for example, these guys are just born leaders and aren't afraid to speak their mind. Some guys just aren't that way. Case in point Daren Sproles who was so shy taking to radio and tv people that he literally stuttered when he did so, but the kid was as smart as a fox in the classroom

when i was in college on a baseball scholarship i had to maintain a 2.0. i am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and i maintained 3.0. my scholarship only covered tuition so i had to work 40 hrs a week to pay for room and board.

you have to admit that not every player out there has Dane Todd's intellect, but they are not all blithering idiots either.

there are student athletes and there are athletes. 3.0 for student athletes is difficult 3.0 for athletes is almost impossible. i do believe that Nu has the best student athletes around....there is a reason that we lead the nation in academic all-americans.

now that we have strayed from the topic.....where do we go with the remaining scholarships?

***SNIP***

what i dont understand is why a student that qualifies for an academic scholarship cant go to school on that, instead of a football scholarship

question: johnny has really good grades and wants to be a doctor. he takes the SAT and scores 1590 and 35 on the ACT. he qualifies for and accepts a full ride academic scholarship. he enrolls and begins classes in the fall term. because he is board with just going to school he wants to do something extra to challenge him and in janurary he asks if he can walk on to the football team and he is given permission by the coach and he makes the team. now that he is on the football team and he is recieving aid by the university does his scholarship now count towards the 85 limit?

Under the bylaws, the key is whether they are a "counter". To be a "counter", the student-athlete has to be accepting financial aid that is based in any degree on athletic ability. Since an academic scholarship is not based on any degree on athletic ability, it doesn't count toward the 25/85 rule.

As Nameless pointed out, many if not most academic scholarships do not cover all costs as does an athletic scholarship, making it difficult to impossible for a lot of kids to attend school and play football on just an academic scholarship.

Personally, I would love to get a couple of DB's and with the third i guess a WR or OL would be good. As long as we get a safety/CB for a couple of those i'm happy.

OL OL and more OL! We have enough WR's at this point. Like someone stated earlier, we already have a lot of young talent there. Our needs in my opinion are dual purpose OL. That is players that can run AND pass block. Just my two cents. :restore2