Josh Freeman...to KSU

txdrdubya

Don't get caught up in the Rivals stars. Yes, he deserves his 4 star ranking from them. Yes, he would fit this offense nicely. Yes, our coaches invested a ton of time in recruiting him. Yes, he's the next Frazier, blah, blah, blah.

How could he? Integrity. Period. Now listen, I'm not your casual poster, I've coached a state champion in the state of Texas. I've seen alot of smooth talkers come and go through our school walls, including Bowden and Stoops. The writing was on the wall when he thought about visiting OU. I'm not saying I knew this was going to happen, but coaches can be VERY convincing, with designing an offense around a QB as the best line imaginable. If Freeman changed his mind that quickly (while notifying the NE coaches with a text message saying do not call us back, then we don't need someone like that leading our team. Anyone that scared of competition needs to go elsewhere. We will not hand a starting job to anyone, nor should we.

No big loss. Mckeon, Ruud, Octavien, Barry Turner, Steve Allen will all lay a licking on him and make sure he knows he picked the wrong side to pass against. The blackshirts will make their presence known 1 way or another. He has to face us 4 times and we will get out shots in, you can guarantee that Callahan will give Coz the green light to punish him for that, plus the coward move of texting "don't call us we aren't coming"

QB recruit Freeman changes mind, says he's going to KSU

BY THE LINCOLN JOURNAL STAR

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 - 12:27:29 am CST

The changing of the guard at Kansas State apparently has caused repercussions for the Nebraska football team.

On Monday night, KC Metro Sports.com, based in Kansas City, Mo., reported that Grandview, Mo., quarterback Josh Freeman has changed his mind and will play football for the Wildcats instead of the Huskers.

“Nebraska is a great opportunity, but you only get to pick college once. I would hate to go to Nebraska and get redshirted. And that was the vibe I was getting from their coaches,” Freeman told Rivals.com on Monday night.

Freeman, who had verbally committed to NU in June, said he changed his mind after meeting new KSU head coach Ron Prince for the second time.

“He’s a young guy, and the energy I felt from him was different,” Freeman said of the new Kansas State coach.

Prince had recruited Freeman while offensive coordinator at Virginia. Freeman visited with Prince in Manhattan, Kan., for more than seven hours Sunday.

Freeman’s dad, Ron Freeman, told Metro Sports: “If a guy was going to mentor my son, I couldn’t do better than Prince.”

Freeman will reportedly start school at KSU in the spring.

Freeman, at 6-foot-5 and 226 pounds, was a four-star recruit in Rivals.com’s five-star system and when he committed to NU, had turned down offers from Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Wisconsin, among others.

Verbal commitments are non-binding until a player signs a national letter of intent.

Link

Don't get caught up in the Rivals stars. Yes, he deserves his 4 star ranking from them. Yes, he would fit this offense nicely. Yes, our coaches invested a ton of time in recruiting him. Yes, he's the next Frazier, blah, blah, blah.

How could he? Integrity. Period. Now listen, I'm not your casual poster, I've coached a state champion in the state of Texas. I've seen alot of smooth talkers come and go through our school walls, including Bowden and Stoops. The writing was on the wall when he thought about visiting OU. I'm not saying I knew this was going to happen, but coaches can be VERY convincing, with designing an offense around a QB as the best line imaginable. If Freeman changed his mind that quickly (while notifying the NE coaches with a text message saying "do not call us back"), then we don't need someone like that leading our team. Anyone that scared of competition needs to go elsewhere. We will not hand a starting job to anyone, nor should we.

Everyone please remember that he is 17 years old. Coaches pull this sh#t all the time. They simply stop calling and cease all contact with no explanation what so ever. Am I mad at Freeman...not in the least. Am I mad that he isn't going to attend Nebraska...yes without a doubt.

I don't want to see any name calling, Freeman is simply doing what he feels is best for himself, he's being selfish, and in the end is there really anything wrong with that????? He want's to be succesful. I personally believe he saw the writing on the wall. He won't be under center for another 4 years. Beck is better.

Look at it this way, we have another scholarship opened up for onje of those hard working Native Nebraskan walk-ons.

Published Tuesday

December 20, 2005

Prized NU '06 recruit backs out

BY MITCH SHERMAN

LINCOLN - The jewel of Nebraska's 2006 football recruiting class has been stolen

Quarterback Josh Freeman, secured as an NU commitment more than six months ago, has backed out of his pledge and defected to Kansas State, according to multiple reports Monday night.

Freeman, a 6-foot-6, 230-pound senior at Grandview High School in Kansas City, Mo., could not be reached for comment late Monday by The World-Herald.

According to Metro Sports out of Kansas City, he met with the Wildcats' new coach, Ron Prince, for seven hours Sunday in Manhattan, Kan. Prince visited Freeman at his home last week, but Freeman said at the time he still intended to sign with the Huskers.

The quarterback told rivals.com that the possibility of facing a redshirt season in Lincoln soured him on the Huskers.

"(Prince) is a young guy, and the energy I felt from him was different," Freeman said. "Nebraska is a great opportunity, but you only get to pick college once. I would hate to go to Nebraska and get redshirted. That was the vibe I was getting from the coaches."

Starter Zac Taylor returns as a senior next season. Harrison Beck played in two games as a true freshman this fall.

Freeman had planned to enroll at NU next month and battle in spring practice for playing time next fall as a true freshman.

His departure deals a severe blow to Nebraska's recruiting momentum.

The Huskers, after Freeman committed in early June, discontinued their pursuit of other top high school quarterbacks. He was the third member of a recruiting class that now stands at 20 with six weeks left until the signing period opens Feb. 1.

Nebraska coaches will likely scramble to fill the giant hole left by Freeman's decommitment.

He was rated as nation's No. 4 pro-style QB by rivals.com and the 94th-best prospect overall.

Freeman threw for 2,894 yards and 32 touchdowns as a senior at Grandview. He will play for the west team in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, Jan. 7 in San Antonio

Link

Freeman’s dad, Ron Freeman, told Metro Sports: “If a guy was going to mentor my son, I couldn’t do better than Prince

His dad seriously is a few fries short of a happy meal. Couldn't do better then a coach with no head coaching experience compared to a coach who took a team to the superbowl. Is this a joke or was JF's dad trying to insult Callahan?

Don't get caught up in the Rivals stars.  Yes, he deserves his 4 star ranking from them.  Yes, he would fit this offense nicely.  Yes, our coaches invested a ton of time in recruiting him.  Yes, he's the next Frazier, blah, blah, blah. 

How could he?  Integrity.  Period.  Now listen, I'm not your casual poster, I've coached a state champion in the state of Texas.  I've seen alot of smooth talkers come and go through our school walls, including Bowden and Stoops.  The writing was on the wall when he thought about visiting OU.  I'm not saying I knew this was going to happen, but coaches can be VERY convincing, with designing an offense around a QB as the best line imaginable.  If Freeman changed his mind that quickly (while notifying the NE coaches with a text message saying "do not call us back"), then we don't need someone like that leading our team.  Anyone that scared of competition needs to go elsewhere.  We will not hand a starting job to anyone, nor should we.

Everyone please remember that he is 17 years old. Coaches pull this sh#t all the time. They simply stop calling and cease all contact with no explanation what so ever. Am I mad at Freeman...not in the least. Am I mad that he isn't going to attend Nebraska...yes without a doubt.

I don't want to see any name calling, Freeman is simply doing what he feels is best for himself, he's being selfish, and in the end is there really anything wrong with that????? He want's to be succesful. I personally believe he saw the writing on the wall. He won't be under center for another 4 years. Beck is better.

Look at it this way, we have another scholarship opened up for onje of those hard working Native Nebraskan walk-ons.

I have to call BS on this one.p

Freeman laid it on the line. He said even after Prince's visit he was 100% a Husker. Suddenly he shows up in Manhattan, commits to a guy after a few days of recruiting him at KSU and he's sold?

Then to beat it all, he leaves the coaches a message saying "we're not coming, don't call back." That is completely disrespectful beyond all terms. For a team that has kept their word to you for 6+ months, that's all you have to say to them, via text message no less? That's BULLS***!

I was on another board and took up for Noel Devine because of stuff similar to this. Unfortunately, their is no way possible I can take up for Josh Freeman here.

Josh, karma is a b**** my friend. You may think "HA HA, I pulled one over on those coaches and got what I wanted." But in the end, is it really worth it?

The man I feel sorry for most is Ron Freeman.

Josh, karma is a b**** my friend. You may think "HA HA, I pulled one over on those coaches and got what I wanted." But in the end, is it really worth it?

Call it what you want, nothing is binding until signing day. I'm with you man, when and if Josh starts, I hope we crush him like we do to most stationary QB's. Do I want to hurt hi9m..no, but pound the sh#t out of him..yes.

Dude, I 'm telling you, coaches do this sh#t all the time.

Forget the coaches, that is their job, much like lawyers. Dont get angry at the lawyer, get angry at the scumbag who commited the crime and than didnt have the balls to stand up and admit he did it. Look, I understand being 17, i was there not that long ago, and I understand him doubting his decision, or being wowed by another coach, but if you do that, if you dont want to redshirt, if you dont want competition, if you dont want to go to Nebraska, than be a man and own up to it. Call up coach Callahan and explain to him why you are making this decision. The way he handled it was like a spoiled child, and frankly, I dont want that kind of attitude on the team, no matter how much talent is attached to it. Ill see you on the ground in two years at memorial stadium, and you better believe that I will be cheering the loudest.

Eric, I'll be honest with you. If Josh were to come back saying he had made a error in judgement, I hope the coaching staff tells him to f*** off, point blank.

In no way, shape or form would I want Josh Freeman to be a Husker again.

In all honesty, I would rather the Huskers take no QB than to take Freeman back.

Coaches do this all the time, I agree. However, most coaches don't invest 6 months on one prospect without an alternative plan. Does Freeman think that Evridge is going to lay down? Allan was a duel threat in high school. Callahan and Norvell's resumes are far superior to developing QB's than that of Prince, so what is his basis? IMO Freeman knew a redshirt was in the horizon from the start.

Nothing has changed, there will be competition at every major D1 school. Prince has already said that he wants a wide open offense, see Brent Schaeffer. Assurances about a starting job and/or playing time are about as sure as Eric the Red getting laid on a nightly basis. We were never going to guarantee Josh anything as a true freshmen. Institutions that compete for championships have QB battles every spring and those that can't handle the pressure transfer, see Ingle Martin (former Florida signee) at Furman.

Eric, I'll be honest with you. If Josh were to come back saying he had made a error in judgement, I hope the coaching staff tells him to f*** off, point blank.

In no way, shape or form would I want Josh Freeman to be a Husker again.

In all honesty, I would rather the Huskers take no QB than to take Freeman back.

I understand your stance exactly.

How about this from NH:

No big loss. Mckeon, Ruud, Octavien, Barry Turner, Steve Allen will all lay a licking on him and make sure he knows he picked the wrong side to pass against. The blackshirts will make their presence known 1 way or another.

I like that too.

hello, NU is in trouble if they want a top qb for this yr, because freeman made the switch to ksu, because he could start right again (if he came to NU he would have to rs, & if he is going to rs than what is the point of him graduating hs early - so, he picked ksu, where he will have little competition - which shows his unwillingness & lack of confidence to compete for a position, & lack of judgement since ksu will have little protection for him)

- but the reason that he switched to ksu is early playing time, which is also one of the reasons why cate is committed to ok st (& will stay committed), because he will play next yr - especially since he is a little more ready as a qb than freeman is, but than again freeman has a lot more upside then cate

- the reason why schaeffer is looking at the schools (nc st, ks st, ms, & wi) he is looking at is also because of playing time, which is all the more important to a juco player, therefore, there is a very little chance that he will be visiting NU, any time soon.

- in the end, mustain will probably stay w/ ar, but if he is considering a switch than it would be to the other schools (mia, mi, fl, tn, nd, & sc) he has considered throughout his recruitment (plus, if he stays w/ ar he will most likely start next yr)

it is just too late for NU to do anything - this is almost too solich-esque

p.s. I think NU will be calling bynes sometime this morning