Husker Class

jayhawk

I know it is tough after a loss, but I think how the school and fans handled UCLA's loss said a lot of great things about Nebraska. The tributes that were part of the game and how the fan base respected that situation says more than the result of the game about Nebraska. I wasn't at the game, so maybe I missed things, but it seemed like the fans there handled things in their usual, first tier fan way.

• Fire 1

I know it is tough after a loss, but I think how the school and fans handled UCLA's loss said a lot of great things about Nebraska. The tributes that were part of the game and how the fan base respected that situation says more than the result of the game about Nebraska. I wasn't at the game, so maybe I missed things, but it seemed like the fans there handled things in their usual, first tier fan way.

I hate to go here. I really do. I apologize now. But i'm gonna say. As fans, our nicey nice, respectful attitute and demeanor has spill way too much over to the team and coaches. Way too much nicey nice. And I know today aint the first time this sh#t's happened, but today it just appeared as though when we got the lead, we just took our foot off the gas for the sake of UCLA's feelings. Anyone else feel the same way? We had a chance to blow it wide open and knock em on their ass when the d was playin lights out and we just seem to nicen up too much. Just no killer instinct. And honestly, I havent seen it since the "dirtiest player in the NFL" played for us.

I think part of the issue was the UCLA was off their game. You could be right that it took the edge off the Huskers when they jumped out to the big lead. Your fans have always been great though and you won a lot of titles with your fans applauding other teams for great effort. I think blaming being a class act is not very accurate, if the past is a guide.

I think part of the issue was the UCLA was off their game. You could be right that it took the edge off the Huskers when they jumped out to the big lead. Your fans have always been great though and you won a lot of titles with your fans applauding other teams for great effort. I think blaming being a class act is not very accurate, if the past is a guide.

I'm not talking about the fans though. I'm talking about players and coaches. Sure Osborne was this Jesus like person, but he had a killer instinct too. It's simple competitiveness. Do what it took to win. He also had some rowdy assistants. Nebraska's run in the 90's also revealed some of the nastiest (and maybe dirtiest) players in college football. That's part of the swagger. That's part of killer instinct that we're lacking. I dont think the issues are as much of talent and scheme/x's and o's as it is pure psychology. There are major MAJOR head issues within the program right now. Even when we were winning, I didnt see the passion. Not on the field. Not on the sideline. f#*k the whole "act like you've been there" idea. It's not the damn NFL. It's f'ing college. Get the guys jumpin around. Get em excited. Play some ball. That's more concerning than anything. And what I'm saying is I think it stems from the fans. Not that I think the fans should not be respectful and nice, but damn it, once that ball kicks off until the 4th quarter clock reads zero, that stadium should be the nastiest in the country to play in, and I just dont feel it. It's football god damn it. Where's our frickin balls?

The fans having class and showing respect has nothing to do with our poor coaching staff.

yeah, that's the point I'm making. And right now, i think one has everything to do with the other. Like I said, too much nicey nice. I dont want the fans to change. It's awesome. Our behavior is what makes us who we are. Players and coaches on the other hand need to be flat out dicks. Nasty, play-with-your-hair-on-fire pricks from the time the ball is kicked off to that last second. WE DONT HAVE THAT NOW.

I hate to go here. I really do. I apologize now. But i'm gonna say. As fans, our nicey nice, respectful attitute and demeanor has spill way too much over to the team and coaches. Way too much nicey nice. And I know today aint the first time this sh#t's happened, but today it just appeared as though when we got the lead, we just took our foot off the gas for the sake of UCLA's feelings. Anyone else feel the same way? We had a chance to blow it wide open and knock em on their ass when the d was playin lights out and we just seem to nicen up too much. Just no killer instinct. And honestly, I havent seen it since the "dirtiest player in the NFL" played for us.

So if you hate to got here than don't. Thread is about the fans and UNL paying tribute to a family who lost their son. Not about players playing hard enough or coaches coaching right.

• Fire 1

Absolutely not. One thing I don't agree with is the connection you are making between our university's respectful demeanor and our output on the field; I simply don't believe there's even a single amount of correlation there. We as fans cheering for an opposing team after the game, or the team itself honoring a fallen member of said team doesn't have any relation to what you call "killer instinct." What is related to "killer instinct"- if you want to call it that, I don't necessarily believe in it myself in this exact term -is good coaching and player determination (the first of which is obviously lacking from J Pap).

With that said, excellence is different than winning, and I'd much rather have the former. Sometimes losing is a necessary ingrediant for excellence (on or off the field) along with being classy. (Of course, I believe we've passed the line of losing too much, but again, that has nothing to do with our classy demeanor.)