So I have a Wireless Netgear router model WNDR3300.

Lately for the past few weeks I have been only losing my connection with my WiFi on my iPhone 4S using when I'm browsing the web or watching YouTube videos. Yesterday iOS7 came out and in order to download the software update you had to be connected to WiFi. Since losing connection I googled a solution and someone had said that by changing your security to WPA2-PSK (AES). I went to routerlogin.net and changed my security from WPA-PSK (TKP) to WPA2-PSK (AES).

So I did that and it work perfectly and downloaded the software with ease. Came home from work and went to jump on my laptop and it wasn't connected to my wifi so I browsed for a network and couldn't find my two secured wifi networks. So I logged into routerlogin.net from my phone and changed it to WPA2-PSK (AES) to WPA-PSK (TKP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) and then both my laptop and iPhone didn't recognize any networks. So I went to bed and woke up and looked to up any networks on my iPhone and didn't find any but my laptop was connected so I changed my secured option back to WPA-PSK (TKP) and again my laptop and iPhone can't find any network and I can't login to routerlogin.net to fix whatever went wrong.

I called Netgear and supposedly there is a Rootkill thing on my computer and some other minor things that their tech can fix but it'd cost me $150 to get it fixed. I declined their outrageous price and thought it was weird that they couldn't fix the security options so I could get back to an established wireless connection.

What did I do wrong? Any suggestions? I just want my computer and iPhone to both have a solid wifi connection.

So I have a Wireless Netgear router model WNDR3300.

Lately for the past few weeks I have been only losing my connection with my WiFi on my iPhone 4S using when I'm browsing the web or watching YouTube videos. Yesterday iOS7 came out and in order to download the software update you had to be connected to WiFi. Since losing connection I googled a solution and someone had said that by changing your security to WPA2-PSK (AES). I went to routerlogin.net and changed my security from WPA-PSK (TKP) to WPA2-PSK (AES).

So I did that and it work perfectly and downloaded the software with ease. Came home from work and went to jump on my laptop and it wasn't connected to my wifi so I browsed for a network and couldn't find my two secured wifi networks. So I logged into routerlogin.net from my phone and changed it to WPA2-PSK (AES) to WPA-PSK (TKP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) and then both my laptop and iPhone didn't recognize any networks. So I went to bed and woke up and looked to up any networks on my iPhone and didn't find any but my laptop was connected so I changed my secured option back to WPA-PSK (TKP) and again my laptop and iPhone can't find any network and I can't login to routerlogin.net to fix whatever went wrong.

I called Netgear and supposedly there is a Rootkill thing on my computer and some other minor things that their tech can fix but it'd cost me $150 to get it fixed. I declined their outrageous price and thought it was weird that they couldn't fix the security options so I could get back to an established wireless connection.

What did I do wrong? Any suggestions? I just want my computer and iPhone to both have a solid wifi connection.

are your laptop and iphone both on power saver modes? How often do you restart your iphone? Have you tried factory resetting the router? not just unplugging it but there is a reset button the back. Try deleting your wifi network in the laptop then re add the network back in same thing for you iphone.

I'm guessing that what you mean when you use the word "rootkill" is rootkit. If that's the case, it can certainly interfere with your network connectivity depending on what sort of rootkit you got. Here are a few (free) programs that I'd suggest you download to rid a rootkit, if that's the case.

RogueKiller

TDSSKiller

Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit

After you run those three things, and you may need to run them each a couple of times, I would suggest running Malwarebytes to see if there was anything that fell between the cracks. If it turns out you did have a rootkit or any form of malware on your computer, then you get it cleaned up and you're still having the issue then there are a few things you could do. I'm sure they've already walked you through powercycling your modem and router...did they have you factory reset your router at all?

Also, you mentioned that you have two wifi networks?There a reason you have two different home networks?

I actually have a little bit of time, so if you do as well, I'd be happy to assist with the problem. Here's a link to a program called TeamViewer. If you have some time right now, download that program, then PM me your ID and password and I'll remote in and have a look.

My question to him would be how would he know if a "rootkill" is on your pc? Does your phone have a "rootkill" as well because it seems to have the same issue. Sounds like the guy is just stringing you along and he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about from his script.

As Maud said, quick way to find out would be to run the tools he has shown. I'd also add HitManPro and use the 30 day trial to scan and clean your machine. It seems to find things that malwarebytes misses and they work well together. Needless to say, I doubt you have a rootkit none the less.

Netgear wireless has always been shoddy in the first place and i've had numerous wireless issues with those pieces of crap.

Edit:

150 for removal of a virus/malware/trojan/etc is a little steep but my clients pay 135 an hour. You could always go a try your luck with GeekSquad, you'll probably be charged for 8 hours of labor and the issue will still be there though (NOT RECOMMENDED BTW).