Robinson - National Player of the Week

Really good article about KRob in the World Herald today:

But Robinson's doubts about whether she could compete in the Big Ten lasted longer than you would expect, even up until as recently as the start of conference play two weeks ago. They had lingered ever since Robinson spurned Cook's original offer to join the Huskers.

Then a prep star at St. Francis High School in Wheaton, Ill., Robinson turned down Cook's overtures to come to Nebraska, instead signing with Tennessee. Cook was perplexed. The Volunteers had a respectable program in the Southeastern Conference, but couldn't match NU's pedigree or promise. To Robinson, a player who harshly critiqued her own faults, it made a twisted sort of sense.

I didn't think I was big enough. I didn't think I had the skill set to play here,” she said. “He always reminded me, 'You underestimate how competitive you are and how much you want to win and how much that drives you.' ”

If that last superlative is in question, here's one that isn't. Robinson is, without question, Nebraska's most indispensable player. A six-rotation outside hitter, she leads the team in kills (4.55 per set) and digs (3.89), while establishing herself as the Huskers' top passer. Her 5.67 kills per set in league matches leads all Big Ten players, and she's on pace to total the most kills by an NU player since the rally scoring format changed to 25-point sets in 2008.

So, now that we're playing inside the best conference in the country and facing Top 25 teams on a regular basis she's playing BETTER!?!?? Crazy.

The variety of attacks she can make from a variety of spots on the court is unbelievable.

The variety of attacks she can make from a variety of spots on the court is unbelievable.

One of the best all around vb players I've seen at the college level. To think if she would have been here 4 years....yikes.

well at least she is here now. Maybe her detour in the sec is what she needed for confidence and growth.

The thing that really blows me away is Cook's skill in identifying and developing talent. Maybe he should be our football coach!

Really good article about KRob in the World Herald today:

But Robinson's doubts about whether she could compete in the Big Ten lasted longer than you would expect, even up until as recently as the start of conference play two weeks ago. They had lingered ever since Robinson spurned Cook's original offer to join the Huskers.

Then a prep star at St. Francis High School in Wheaton, Ill., Robinson turned down Cook's overtures to come to Nebraska, instead signing with Tennessee. Cook was perplexed. The Volunteers had a respectable program in the Southeastern Conference, but couldn't match NU's pedigree or promise. To Robinson, a player who harshly critiqued her own faults, it made a twisted sort of sense.

I didn't think I was big enough. I didn't think I had the skill set to play here,” she said. “He always reminded me, 'You underestimate how competitive you are and how much you want to win and how much that drives you.' ”

Wow. I never read this until now. She definitely looks like she is playing with confidence and I think she is only going to get better as the season progresses.

The comment about being "big enough" threw me. She's a physically large person. She's proportionally built so if you saw a picture of her in, say, a parking lot or away from something demonstrating scale you'd think she's just another tall-ish girl. But she's a tall 6'2" and she's the definition of "big-boned," that term so often used to describe someone fat, but which technically means they have a large frame/bone structure. And she can clearly put muscle on that frame.

Cook saw her potential in High School and tried to get her here back then. It's clear she didn't just miraculously become a good player (note her SEC accolades). Apparently Kelsey is one of those people for whom the biggest hurdle isn't physical, it was mental.

The comment about being "big enough" threw me. She's a physically large person. She's proportionally built so if you saw a picture of her in, say, a parking lot or away from something demonstrating scale you'd think she's just another tall-ish girl. But she's a tall 6'2" and she's the definition of "big-boned," that term so often used to describe someone fat, but which technically means they have a large frame/bone structure. And she can clearly put muscle on that frame.

Cook saw her potential in High School and tried to get her here back then. It's clear she didn't just miraculously become a good player (note her SEC accolades). Apparently Kelsey is one of those people for whom the biggest hurdle isn't physical, it was mental.

I'm befuddled by the 'big enough' part as well. Maybe it was just a confidence thing more than anything with her? Funny thing is she is playing some big time volleyball right now pun intended lol. I'm so glad she decided to spend her senior season with us. It's gonna be a lot of fun watching her the rest of the season.