Safety

JTrain

Have I misunderstood the forward progress rules for all these years? Tackle was clearly initiated at the two yard line and driven back into the end zone. No review. Kugler didn't even discuss it. He was discussing the spot where the knee went down, not forward progress. Someone explain.

It does seem like kind of a grey area, and forward progress is a judgement call anyway. The only other somewhat valid comparison I can draw is on a kick or punt return. If you catch the ball outside the endzone but your momentum takes you into it can be a touchback.

I think that's right. There isn't a detailed explanation in the rule book. It seems to be a judgement call on whether the refs think he would have gone into the end zone from his own momentum or not. He was slowing his momentum at the 2 and the impact from Gregory pushed him back. I figured they'd review it at least. Not that anyone really cared in this instance, but it'd be interesting to see if it happened in a bigger, closer game.

Correct as said earlier. The qb initiated the backward progress into the endzone. When you do that, you give up all forward progress prior to the motion, and your marked where you are down. In this case, it was obvious. Good question though. At first, at full speed, I too thought forward progress would award him to the one yard line, until I saw the replay.

When you do that, you give up all forward progress prior to the motion, and your marked where you are down.

What page is this on?

Like you said, it's not a written rule that I know of, but it's just common sense-implied if you will-that when the runner goes backwards on his own power, he doesnt have forward progress anymore.