lousy Big Ten to ruin ohios NC dreams

MichiganMan

And honestly, I think Penn State and Wisconsin have done that with the hirings of Anderson and BoB. Tough to say about Northwestern due to their injuries. Minnesota is kind of in the air with their coach right now. Michigan State finally has the full coachiing staff they needed to be dangerous.

I don't know what's going on with Pelini, because the talent is there, the coaching is there....it just somehow doesn't show on the field (in terms of the eliteness - right now you guys are good, but should be better) Iowa needs some improvement as well but is middle tier.

Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue need a serious overhaul.

Imagine what your record would be if with your young defense Braxton was lost for half the season, so was your offensive line, and one of your best receivers.

And honestly, I think Penn State and Wisconsin have done that with the hirings of Anderson and BoB. Tough to say about Northwestern due to their injuries. Minnesota is kind of in the air with their coach right now. Michigan State finally has the full coachiing staff they needed to be dangerous.

I don't know what's going on with Pelini, because the talent is there, the coaching is there....it just somehow doesn't show on the field (in terms of the eliteness - right now you guys are good, but should be better) Iowa needs some improvement as well but is middle tier.

Imagine what your record would be if with your young defense Braxton was lost for half the season, so was your offensive line, and one of your best receivers.

Considering their backup QB and depth I think they'd be fine.

QB was lost for 1/4 of a season as was our best RB. 2nd string RB was out for all but 3 games. Defense was decimated by injuries.

But I didn't know that about your O-line. That obviously explains a lot.

There is nothing intrinsically superior about a playoff over a regular season. Only two different ways of selecting a champion.

There is everything superior about earning your way to the championship on the field rather than having people and computers choose it.

In CFB you earn[ed] it on the field over 12 games instead of two. Playing better in the playoffs is not better than doing it in the regular season. But people think that is because it's at the end of the year and it's called "the playoffs." Aside from popular opinion, there is nothing innately meritocratic.

It's not about the name "playoffs" it's about running a gauntlet vs the best teams in the country, the very teams that already ran another gauntlet to win their divisions to have the privilege to play for a championship, the pretenders are weeded out(like Notre Dame would have been last year, first playoff game likely).

I cant even fathom your reasoning Joe, well I can, it's total bullsh#t. As far as how well you play in the playoffs, well it's up to you, but every team gives 110% during these games, besides it's not like some slacker who played poorly would end up in the playoffs as they do have to play and win their Division, which is hard enough. I get it though, ND is a special snowflake without a home, so the playoffs would leave ND out, but you can just join the ACC fully.

Now Joe, lets see how good the system is, when the two teams with best regular season records in the NFL/NHL/NBA and MLB don't get into the finals, which is virtually every year. It would be ridiculously wrong for those leagues but it's even worse for the CFB since the schedules are so uneven and you end up with horrible "championship" blow out matchups like Rudy vs Gump.

It's a good excuse if your team sleepwalks through Akron and UConn, I guess.

Gee, wow well my dad can beat up your dad. Whats that got to do with anything? Don't make me whip out the pyramid of logic jpeg on you, you are starting to reply not only off topic but with lack of substance, UM Offense is fair to poor at best, so? It didn't change anything regarding a piss poor system when they were good or average or bad.

There is nothing intrinsically superior about a playoff over a regular season. Only two different ways of selecting a champion.

There is everything superior about earning your way to the championship on the field rather than having people and computers choose it.

In CFB you earn[ed] it on the field over 12 games instead of two. Playing better in the playoffs is not better than doing it in the regular season. But people think that is because it's at the end of the year and it's called "the playoffs." Aside from popular opinion, there is nothing innately meritocratic.

It's not about the name "playoffs" it's about running a gauntlet vs the best teams in the country, the very teams that already ran another gauntlet to win their divisions to have the privilege to play for a championship, the pretenders are weeded out(like Notre Dame would have been last year, first playoff game likely).

I cant even fathom your reasoning Joe, well I can, it's total bullsh#t. As far as how well you play in the playoffs, well it's up to you, but every team gives 110% during these games, besides it's not like some slacker who played poorly would end up in the playoffs as they do have to play and win their Division, which is hard enough. I get it though, ND is a special snowflake without a home, so the playoffs would leave ND out, but you can just join the ACC fully.

Now Joe, lets see how good the system is, when the two teams with best regular season records in the NFL/NHL/NBA and MLB don't get into the finals, which is virtually every year. It would be ridiculously wrong for those leagues but it's even worse for the CFB since the schedules are so uneven and you end up with horrible "championship" blow out matchups like Rudy vs Gump.

It sounds like ND fan is realizing that the double standard that they have lived on for pretty much a millennium is disappearing with the playoff system. With the opinion taken out of the equation, then they will finally have to earn their way into a NC game. This explains as to why they ran to the America’s Crapiest Conference instead of joining the B1G which has always made sense. I guess there is nothing to be ashamed of, Bobby Bowden forced the same thing at FSU when they ducked the SEC in 1990. The story behind that was that the FSU administration was ready to accept the invitation to join the SEC until good old Bobby threw a fit and even threatened to retire if they joined the SEC and you saw who won that argument.

Not even close. Holtz might have had four official national titles if the Fla schools had to go through him instead of hiding in the Southern Bowls. But in no way is that harder than playing a tough regular season grind, like Holtz did, and winning a bowl game. I suspect it's actually harder to go 12-0+1 bowl than it is to go 11-1 + two playoff games, since in the latter you are incentivized to take the last week off. But the difference is tiny.