Chatelain's column - 2003 all over again

np_husker

The argument that Armstrong is only playing because Martinez is injured and Armstrong turned the ball over when Martinez would not have ignores the fact that Martinez led the NCAA each of the past three years in turnovers.

Can we stop trotting this out now?

Because it's a damned lie.

Where did he rank? Also . . . even if he didn't lead the NCAA it would be pretty tough to argue with the core of the argument: Taylor Martinez turned the ball over a lot.

I can't tell his ranking because I can't find an accurate list that lists total turnovers by player. You have to add up interceptions and fumbles separately.

What I was able to find (with 2 minutes of googling) is that he has never led the nation in turnovers.

What the original stat was supposed to be was that he led the nation in fumbles 3 years in a row, and that's not true either.

Of course, none of this excuses Nebraska's lack of emphasis on holding onto the football. It's just a knock people use on Taylor to prop up Tommy... even though he's on pace to beat Taylor's turnovers as a frosh.

At least on the fumbles side . . . looks like Martinez was worst in the nation in 2012 and 2010 . . . and tied for worst in the nation in 2011.

Looks like the general gist of the point has some serious merit, right?

Maybe from a 10,000 foot view, sure if folks want to hang your hat on it, then go for it. But it's disingenuous to say he lead the nation in turnovers for three years, then tout TA as the savior (like many were doing after SDSU and Illinois). At least Taylor made up for his mistakes with offensive prowess. Tommy hasn't even come close.

And it all falls back to our staff not having a coach who ever developed a QB.