Chatelain's column - 2003 all over again

np_husker

So, then what's next, fundamentals? I mean, that seems to always be a problem for Bo's teams, be it that it shows up in different ways. Sometimes it's poor tackling, other times its turnovers, other times its an ungodly number of penalties...

YES. Fundamentals. Enough of the technical fancy pants bs on offense. Narrow down an identity. Feed Ameer the ball 40 times a game. Dont fumble. Win. Profit. Bang the hookers. Smoke the blow. Dun.

Well, Carl's got that last part down, we should consult him, lol.

I agree. I want that to be the big focus this off-season (thank God we have Ameer returning, he's going to be such a weapon next year). We'll have a young QB in either Armstrong or Stanton, so we should definitely focus on the run game: Abdullah, the star senior, gets most of the carries, Cross, the power back for the few yards to get the first down, Newby, the shifty youngster to start preparing to fill Abdullah's shoes. Play actions should be our predominant form of passing, and passes shouldn't be that often.

Defense: Stick to what we have seen works: Blitz.

If we want to make up for recruiting deficiencies, we need to amp up our strength and conditioning program. We need to take these 2 stars and make them play like 4 and 5 stars.

4fcfc47d74b6a.preview-620.jpg

If I had a dollar for every pixel in that photograph, I would be broke. Exactly. Now, we have to do this more across the board. Especially up front in the trenches.

You would technically have $542,500.

• Fire 1

I thing that I hate about Dirka Dirk is that he is a simpleton. It's not as black and white as "fire your coach if you don't like what's happening on saturdays" as he makes it. Who the f#*k are you gonna hire, Dirk? Plus its a game of put on a smile and pat your coach on the back for 9 wins, because your possible future desire for a head coach may be watching. Some have to play that game more than others... we are one of those schools that have to play it more.

Bo deserves another year. You have to chalk up injuries as a major factor to us losing these games. When you don't have your best players available, you can expect the standard of play to go down.

perhaps... but the program cannot take another year with Bo. Each day with Bo is a one day delay in the road to recovery

Bo deserves another year. You have to chalk up injuries as a major factor to us losing these games. When you don't have your best players available, you can expect the standard of play to go down.

perhaps... but the program cannot take another year with Bo. Each day with Bo is a one day delay in the road to recovery

I'm frustrated as much as anyone but this comment is retarded. Recovery from what? Each day with Bo has been another day OF recovery. Bo took over a disaster. He didnt inherit a freight drain and drive it off the tracks.

How is our recruiting broken....well the majority of our 2 deep is Fr because of complete failure in recruiting for practically 3 years. But yeah, sure we are doing awesome at recruiting! Look at all of our wins against teams that finished the season top 10

How IS our recruiting broken, or how WAS our recruiting broken? You are saying one and arguing another, which isn't new.

If dirk is a simpleton what is Sipple?

A respectable sports writer.

I really hope you are kidding. Sipple makes more excuses then anyone on why Bo is average

I'm not saying you're wrong on that. but he's definitely more thoughtful than dirka dirk. Sipple has some good perspective.. thats my opinion though. Again, it's not as black and white as we'd like it to be.. I think Sipp gets that. To be fair, I haven't read a whole lot from either side since I moved to Colorado, just before the first loss.

"...at the end of the day, that particular day has ended, and it is judged by what you did that day, not as a step in the process for what may or may not happen by the end of the season.

So let's see if we can get a team assembled and in good working order before the season starts next year, instead of watching it fall to pieces on national TV because the glue hasn't dried yet.

Honestly, I don't disagree with the article. But, I don't totally agree with it either.

I'm not saying I want Bo fired and I'm not saying I support him staying. Whatever Shawn Eichorst decides to do at the end of the year, I'm fine with. I can not say the same thing about 10 years ago when Solich was fired. This is a very different situation in my mind. And, yes, probably the "f#*k the fans" audio has some to do with my feelings because that sucked a lot of support I had for Bo away.

BUT, when looking at the team and the program, I honestly think (especially with this game) you need to look at the injuries. I think how this has transpired, it has shown we have very good depth at so many positions on the offensive side of the ball. Our O line actually played very well Saturday against a very good D line. OK, some don't want to claim they are the best defense in the country. I'm fine with that. However, they still are a very good defense and our O line took care of business. Our RS freshman QB made some mistakes. A freshman RB didn't handle a questionable pitch. An O lineman playing out of position pulled too soon and hit the ball out of our RS freshman QBs hands on the one yard line (for which we never should have been there in the first place). A RS Freshman fielding a punt made a mistake and dropped the ball on a good hit.

All of that and we still put up 21 points, plus 7 trash points. That tied the most points that team had given up all year. Think about that for a minute. Our (mostly) second and some times third team Offense did that.

Are the coaches responsible for the injuries? Would many of the top 10-15 teams be sitting where they are if they had to play mostly their second and third team offense?

How would have this game gone if we would have had the O line we had at the beginning of the year along with Taylor and our WRs all healthy? I think it very well could have been a very different game but we will never know.

Bottom line, if this would have happened with that first team O line, Taylor at QB and healthy along with everyone else that is banged up, the I would be on the war path to make major changes.

Right now though.....all I can say is that I'm just sick to my stomach and numb.