Chatelain's column - 2003 all over again

np_husker

The reality is that student athletes are not the same as in the 90's. Look at the problem that schools are having in this country, no discipline , no accountability, no structure, and the passion to win is not there anymore. The coaches are working with athletes that have been told there whole life that every body is a winner. Why do you think they act and talk this way.

The reality is that student athletes are not the same as in the 90's. Look at the problem that schools are having in this country, no discipline , no accountability, no structure, and the passion to win is not there anymore. The coaches are working with athletes that have been told there whole life that every body is a winner. Why do you think they act and talk this way.

How does this have to do with this team?

Ok, I don't "disagree" with the column, but look at the landscape of colleg football. There is so much more parity today than when TO coached. During the 70-80-90's, there truly where only about 10 really good programs in the entire country, and only 2 good programs in our conference.

Based on what Dick, ( oops ), I mean Dirk, wrote, I am sure glad he wasn't making decisions during the 70-80's and early 90's or Tom, nor we as fans, would have ever had the opportunity to celebrate like we did...

Lets' see.... Winning 9 games a year, filling stadiums, having guys play hard and never quit, and LOSING most of the big games that your team plays.......are we talking about Tom or Bo.... because that is exactly what Tom did for the longest time. If Nebraska was able to beat OU, then you could almost automatically assume that we would lose in the bowl game or NC game... and yes, Tom's teams did get upset more than once.....Missouri, Iowa State, Florida State, Syracuse, on and on....

Now, I am not bashing TO, because he is my role model, (named my son after him), my wife has extremely close (daily) ties to TO and you will not find a bigger TO fan in the world than me.......but just trying to point out that TO and Bo are taking the same path... and TO only had to win 1 big game a year....not UCLA, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State (last year's schedule)..... and with only probably 10 great programs in the 70-80's, it was pretty stinkin easy to stay in the top 25.

This defense is very young and in given time, they will be outstanding. I predict that even as soon as next year, this team will have a top 10 defense, and if not, it will be in 2 years. The offense was destroyed by injury... You lose an All-American lineman, 1st team All-Big 10 qb, and injuries to basically the rest of the O-line and 2 of your top 3 WR.......WOW.... and you still find a way to beat Michigan at Ann Arbor and you somehow are even "in" a game after turning it over 5 times.....

This team has heart and passion, along with RAW talent.... the heart and passion start at the top....Bo....

If you want to set the program back another 5-8 years, listen to Dick (oops, did it again), I mean Dirk....if not.... pray that Shawn makes the right choice. I can 100 %, without doubt, say that TO is hoping that Bo sticks around....and no, I will not a source on the last comment...

I'm going to stop reading this thread right after your post because you've stated just about everything anyone needs to know. The fact is 20% of the fan base will love the coach no matter who it its. 20% will hate the coach no matter who it is. 10% will be pretty objective about stuff much like you've done here and 10% and 50% isn't really smart enough to know what they should really believe and just seem to follow which ever crowd the media is supporting.

Anything anyone else writes is probably going to piss me off.

I think it has a lot to do with the team. It is a mentality thing and whether the coaches can change it or not, it is present.

This defense is very young and in given time, they will be outstanding

Who says "time" automatically improves everything? Scotch is better after sitting around for ten years but not so much with milk.

Taylor was back to dropping his shoulder and throwing off of his back foot again this year...why didn't "time" improve that?

Ron Kellogg looks a little slower and chubbier this year than a couple years ago...why didn't "time" improve that?

We sucked in the turnover ratio last year, and did so again this year...why didn't "time" improve that?

UCLA methodically took us apart this year the same way they did the year before...why didn't "time" improve that?

Minnesota copied Wisconsin's game plan last year to take advantage of the flaws in our defensive scheme and beat us this year...why didn't "time" prevent that?

Today, I have to go to the orthopedic surgeon to schedule surgery on a knee that has been going bad for years...why doesn't "time" improve that? Should I give it more time, so it will turn into an outstanding knee, or should I see that it gets fixed?

I think it has a lot to do with the team. It is a mentality thing and whether the coaches can change it or not, it is present.

How so?

Alabama seems to have no problems convincing their players to want to win. Baylor either.

Guys, this is what we are under Pelini. A team that is out of the top 25 more often than they are in it. A team that loses at least one game they shouldn't every year. A team that gets consistently out performed on the biggest stages. Turnovers, penalties, dropped passes... meltdowns at critical times... (anyone remember the first and goal against Va Tech that ended with us PUNTING?) It's been the same for the entirety of the Pelini era. Are you all surprised that we turned the ball over so much against MSU? You shouldn't be. The old saying is that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. Well it's the end of year 6 and we're getting the same results.

Look at this schedule. 9-4 this year is pitiful, assuming we can get to 9 wins of course. I wouldn't be shocked to see only one more win.

• Fire 4

I'm frustrated as much as anyone but this comment is retarded. Recovery from what? Each day with Bo has been another day OF recovery. Bo took over a disaster. He didnt inherit a freight drain and drive it off the tracks.

You'd have to show consistent improvement to make that argument. By virtually any measure, that improvement is not there. Bo's program peaked around the end of 2009 . . . and if 2009 is the best that he is capable of he is not a good enough coach for Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Alabama seems to have no problems convincing their players to want to win. Baylor either.

Guys, this is what we are under Pelini. A team that is out of the top 25 more often than they are in it. A team that loses at least one game they shouldn't every year. A team that gets consistently out performed on the biggest stages. Turnovers, penalties, dropped passes... meltdowns at critical times... (anyone remember the first and goal against Va Tech that ended with us PUNTING?) It's been the same for the entirety of the Pelini era. Are you all surprised that we turned the ball over so much against MSU? You shouldn't be. The old saying is that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. Well it's the end of year 6 and we've been getting the same.

Look at this schedule. 9-4 this year is pitiful, assuming we can get to 9 wins of course. I wouldn't be shocked to see only one more win.

+1.

Spot on.

Guys, this is what we are under Pelini. A team that is out of the top 25 more often than they are in it. A team that loses at least one game they shouldn't every year. A team that gets consistently out performed on the biggest stages. Turnovers, penalties, dropped passes... meltdowns at critical times... (anyone remember the first and goal against Va Tech that ended with us PUNTING?) It's been the same for the entirety of the Pelini era. Are you all surprised that we turned the ball over so much against MSU? You shouldn't be. The old saying is that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. Well it's the end of year 6 and we've been getting the same.

Are you saying our players don't want to win?

In some theoretical sense, I'm sure they do. In terms of putting in the hard work, hour after hour and day after day that it takes to get there? I'm not sure. In terms of showing up ready to play down after down and game after game? Certainly not. In terms of playing with mental and physical toughness and in a disciplined way? No way.

• Fire 1

No, the poster above me said that.