So I just discovered Steam on my PC

So I'm going to try to get into a bit of PC gaming. I just downloaded steam and logged in with my PSN account and OMG THERE IS A TON OF GAMES.

I don't even know where to start. Looking at the free-to-play games and it's overwhelming. Any suggestions on what to play first?

I also have an 8 year told that LOVES minecraft. Any suggestions for him?

Here's to trying out the PC Master Race :cheers

• Fire 1

If he loves minecraft, terraria and starbound are similar-ish

Yeah there's an ungodly amount of stuff, and we're right in the middle of the winter sale right now (lasts for another couple weeks) so you can easily end up buying dozens of games lol. They taunt you with 50 and 75% off deals!

Personally I only have like 18 games or something but if I had a better PC I would probably have more

• Fire 2

Yeah, the amount of games on Steam is ridiculous. Try comparing it to a console's library.

I have a much more extensive library than tschu, over 150 games for me, though there are many I have not gotten around to playing yet, but got on awesome deals on Steam sales. They are a bit like crack.

What to try, well that all depends on what you like to play. In the free to play arena, I would recommend, all have very good free to play models and are not pay to win.

both are good for co-op or single player.

Warframe - 3rd person, online co-op, action game. You play as a space ninja. Yeah, you read that right.

Path of Exile - Action RPG that is better than Diablo 3,

If you are looking for competitive, Dota 2 is far and away the most popular game. Daily peak is usually around 600,000 simultaneous players.

Feel free to ask more specific questions too.

• Fire 2

Yeah, the amount of games on Steam is ridiculous. Try comparing it to a console's library.

I have a much more extensive library than tschu, over 150 games for me, though there are many I have not gotten around to playing yet, but got on awesome deals on Steam sales. They are a bit like crack.

What to try, well that all depends on what you like to play. In the free to play arena, I would recommend, all have very good free to play models and are not pay to win.

both are good for co-op or single player.

Warframe - 3rd person, online co-op, action game. You play as a space ninja. Yeah, you read that right.

Path of Exile - Action RPG that is better than Diablo 3,

If you are looking for competitive, Dota 2 is far and away the most popular game. Daily peak is usually around 600,000 simultaneous players.

Feel free to ask more specific questions too.

It's like a whole different world of gaming it seems like. I remember hearing about Path of Exile and it's ridiculous skill tree. Warframe I've heard of also. Sounds like I'll give those two a shot over christmas break.

I've yet to add any friends, I believe my username is psn_stunutz so feel free to add me up.

Any of you guys use controllers with these games? I know for fast shooting online the mouse is better, but does anyone use one for platforming or action/adventure type games?

You absolutely want a gamepad. I have a wireless xbox360 pad I use a lot. And I have never owned an xbox. Some games are flat out better with a gamepad, and occasionally (Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, I'm looking at you) next to unplayable without one.

Its only a different world in gaming in that you have tons more options, and whole genres that really dont exist on consoles. Like Strategy and 4x games.

Could not resist Trackmania 2 for $2.49 so made my first purchase of the sale.

For controllers, I have a Logitech F310 that I use for racing, platformers, etc. It's just a really solid basic controller, essentially the PS3 controller layout. You can also use XBox360 Controllers and PS3 controllers but you have to get a program like JoytoKey or something to make them work properly. It think Xbox controllers are easier to set up than PS3 ones.

Could not resist Trackmania 2 for $2.49 so made my first purchase of the sale.

For controllers, I have a Logitech F310 that I use for racing, platformers, etc. It's just a really solid basic controller, essentially the PS3 controller layout. You can also use XBox360 Controllers and PS3 controllers but you have to get a program like JoytoKey or something to make them work properly. It think Xbox controllers are easier to set up than PS3 ones.

Xbox360 controllers are plug n play, no outside software. PS3 require some work, and research on a reliable 3rd party program. Logitech makes solid software for all their peripherals. I have not looked into it yet, but the PS4 controllers supposedly work easily with a PC also, going off statements by Sony, but I have not tried it myself. XBone controllers are not currently compatible with PCs to my knowledge, MS has said that is coming in 2014.

My advice is a 360 controller as the best option, as its plug n play, and most games with controller support default to the xbox button designations. Logitech would be my second choice, as they are simply one of the best PC peripheral makers out there. The issue with getting some of the others to work, like the PS3, is that there is no wireless option, so you have to be in handy range of a USB port. Which may or may not be an issue depending on your set up.

Terraria contains almost limitless fun and is 75% off right now. For $2.50, it's a ridiculously good buy. It's essentially a 2D Minecraft but with a bit more focus on combat, though you can still build some cool stuff.

What types of games do you like? Steam has just about everything you can imagine covered with a stupidly huge collection of big studio and indie games.