So I just discovered Steam on my PC

Bought rise of Venice and Europa universalis today as my game tastes are pretty limited. Anything similar to civilization mostly.

I have not played RoV, but I have a ton of hours on EU4. If you have never played a game made by those devs before, you might want to go into the guides section on Steam and watch a vid or two. Such a deep game. I'm a big fan. A side note to that is Crusader Kings 2 can export the save file to EU4, so with DLC you could guide a county from about 850 to the 1800s.

A quick note on any of the EA games that you can purchase on Steam--you can take the CD Key and enter it into Origin and get the game unlocked for you on their service as well.

For example, if you purchase Mass Effect 1 and 2, you can take those CD Keys, enter them into Origin, and then you can pick up ME3 for something like $7.50 on their service to complete the trilogy if you're so inclined.

And no, I'm not saying Origin is great--in fact, it sucks pretty hard as an online service goes, but if you're a fan of EA games on PC already (and therefore are already subjected to the inconvenience that Origin is), then you may as well put that CD Key in and have that game unlocked on your Origin account as well.

---

Also a few points:

-Steam had Saint's Row IV for $19.99 and the DLC pass for $9.99, which is a great deal. Great silly GTA-style sandbox shooter that doesn't take itself seriously at all, and has good co-op features to boot.

-If you go with StarBound, please note that the game is in beta and your characters are subject to being wiped at any time until the game is in General Release. If this is a problem, go with Terreria (only $2.49 via Steam Sale) until StarBound is out of Beta. And for the record, both are awesome, addicting games. :)

-For the next three hours, Borderlands 2 is $7.49 by itself, and $29.99 for the GotY edition (read: with all available DLC). This game is an awesome co-op shooter that works perfectly and seamlessly with either a KB/M or a 360 Controller and an example of what PC games, as they creep to the living room, will be like in the years to come.

-Stu, welcome to Steam. It's an excellent platform for gaming, and once the 4GB graphics cards come down in price later this year and Steam OS/Boxes are widely available, it will easily be an affordable living room option, not unlike the XBox One, Wii U, or PS4.

Yeah, Borderlands 2 is an amazing game, Highly recommended from me as well. Good solo, awesome with friends. shooter with a loot system like an Action RPG, and great humor too.

Hell, with the inclusion of optional Mob bosses, it's not unlike a localized/minature MMORPG-shooter hybrid.

Frankly, I fully expect Borderlands 3 to embrace more MMORPG features, like having more classes available, deeper character customization, and seeing more parties than just your merry band of misfits in the wastelands.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the amount of games on Steam is ridiculous. Try comparing it to a console's library.

I have a much more extensive library than tschu, over 150 games for me, though there are many I have not gotten around to playing yet, but got on awesome deals on Steam sales. They are a bit like crack.

What to try, well that all depends on what you like to play. In the free to play arena, I would recommend, all have very good free to play models and are not pay to win.

both are good for co-op or single player.

Warframe - 3rd person, online co-op, action game. You play as a space ninja. Yeah, you read that right.

Path of Exile - Action RPG that is better than Diablo 3,

If you are looking for competitive, Dota 2 is far and away the most popular game. Daily peak is usually around 600,000 simultaneous players.

Feel free to ask more specific questions too.

It's like a whole different world of gaming it seems like. I remember hearing about Path of Exile and it's ridiculous skill tree. Warframe I've heard of also. Sounds like I'll give those two a shot over christmas break.

I've yet to add any friends, I believe my username is psn_stunutz so feel free to add me up.

Any of you guys use controllers with these games? I know for fast shooting online the mouse is better, but does anyone use one for platforming or action/adventure type games?

I use mouse for everything except for sport games.

Any of you guys use controllers with these games? I know for fast shooting online the mouse is better, but does anyone use one for platforming or action/adventure type games?

Only for sports games, like Michigan Ball mentioned. Perhaps if you like jet figher games, a joystick would be useful. But, as you pointed out, it'd best to stick to mouse/keyboard for most everything else. You'll ridiculously handicap yourself if you play any kind of FPS game online and try to go controller vs. mouse.

Only for sports games, like Michigan Ball mentioned. Perhaps if you like jet figher games, a joystick would be useful. But, as you pointed out, it'd best to stick to mouse/keyboard for most everything else. You'll ridiculously handicap yourself if you play any kind of FPS game online and try to go controller vs. mouse.

Even action games that are console ports? Stuff like Batman or especially Dark Souls, can range from less than ideal, to nearly unplayable with a mouse and keyboard. I just look at it like I'm handicapping myself by not having different controller options game to game. Mouse and keyboard, gamepad, or flightstick.

Bought rise of Venice and Europa universalis today as my game tastes are pretty limited. Anything similar to civilization mostly.

I have not played RoV, but I have a ton of hours on EU4. If you have never played a game made by those devs before, you might want to go into the guides section on Steam and watch a vid or two. Such a deep game. I'm a big fan. A side note to that is Crusader Kings 2 can export the save file to EU4, so with DLC you could guide a county from about 850 to the 1800s.

Paradox games are awesome. Highly recomended for any civ/strayegy gamer. Expecially CK3 and EU4. CK2 is over 2 years old and gets better all the time. I really want them to announce a Victoria III soon.

Even action games that are console ports? Stuff like Batman or especially Dark Souls, can range from less than ideal, to nearly unplayable with a mouse and keyboard. I just look at it like I'm handicapping myself by not having different controller options game to game. Mouse and keyboard, gamepad, or flightstick.

Yea, action games as well, though I do change the key assignments to my taste and of course assign actions to the extra buttons on the mouse.

Dark souls I hear was the devs fault with how they implemented the controls so an exception, otherwise I haven't missed a controller.