Verizon Fios Internet wireless router does not support N??

It's the original router installed by verizon when fios was available for my area in 2007 or 08, not sure. Anyway, I have a Samsung LED 55" that is wireless with a lan adapter. I bought a cisco lan adapter(N) and attempted to hook up to my wifi.

My understanding is this wifi router from verizon is too old to support N.

So, do I spend the 100 bucks and buy a verizon router that does support N or look for a better router that supports AC and is backward compatible???

Well, I had thought about upgrading my fios speed to 50/25 and just grit my teeth at the 2 yr. renewal but I'm hesitant. I know N is the stable environment and AC is "draft" status. I just don't want to have to upgrade the router every other year :) cheapskate that I am. I just don't know enough about networks and the newer equipment.

The other thing is I have directTV and have 3 boxes that are wireless to the verizon router also. Plus our 2 phones that use wifi; so I'm starting to worry about bandwidth or something :D.

Thanks for your info guys.

You are really looking at dropping $100 to get something that can handle heavy use. Going above that is not a good return on performance gains vs cost. The newer N gear should be good for several years. With one of those your individual device speeds should be very good, and unless you are going to add more users, or are having slow speeds when everyone is connected, there is probably not much value in increasing your connection from Verizon.

It's the original router installed by verizon when fios was available for my area in 2007 or 08, not sure. Anyway, I have a Samsung LED 55" that is wireless with a lan adapter. I bought a cisco lan adapter(N) and attempted to hook up to my wifi.

My understanding is this wifi router from verizon is too old to support N.

So, do I spend the 100 bucks and buy a verizon router that does support N or look for a better router that supports AC and is backward compatible???

Rawhide, I upgraded to 75/35 and got my N router for free (helps that I've had FiOS Internet for some time now)...and honestly, it's not that great of a N router--no dual band, poor range, and no real great traffic-shaping options. The only redeeming quality is that their N router has gigabit LAN...

Frankly, I'll be getting one of the nice dual band N routers to piggy back into the FiOS router once AC gets more traction and drops prices.