Top of the list of world problems

1. Destruction of the environment.

This will be callous but the problems already listed primarily affect only humans. The destruction of the environment also affects the other millions of species on earth. It only took 100 years to destroy a natural experiment that had been running for millions of years.

Damn, very very good point. For all of our immediate problems involving ourselves and relations with other humans, our relationship with the planet is huge for our species as a whole. The last 150 years have f'd up the planet beyond belief. Worse, nobody seems to give a sh#t whatsoever. Sure, it won't be a problem for us. But 100 years down the road...

The vast majority of people in the world are stupid. Not necessarily uneducated, but just f'ing stupid. Too stupid to be allowed to live, imo. That is why overpopulation is there - you can't fix stupid, you can only kill it off.

Whoa now. Hitler had similar views.

The vast majority of people in the world are stupid. Not necessarily uneducated, but just f'ing stupid. Too stupid to be allowed to live, imo. That is why overpopulation is there - you can't fix stupid, you can only kill it off.

Hitler's problem was he was targeting specific races/religions/beliefs. Stupidity has no boundaries like that.

Edit - I should probably edit this before someone gets butthurt and thinks I'm endorsing HItler. Take this as an example. Are you (a general "you") so f'ing stupid you can barely get your car from A to B each time without causing an accident, yet continue to drive while texting, doing your makeup, and so on? Then you need to die. Unfortunately, our society frowns on that, so I can only hope you crash your car and die in a fire alone, or a meteor caves in your skull, etc.

• Fire 1

Hitler's problem was he was targeting specific races/religions/beliefs. Stupidity has no boundaries like that.

Edit - I should probably edit this before someone gets butthurt and thinks I'm endorsing HItler. Take this as an example. Are you (a general "you") so f'ing stupid you can barely get your car from A to B each time without causing an accident, yet continue to drive while texting, doing your makeup, and so on? Then you need to die. Unfortunately, our society frowns on that, so I can only hope you crash your car and die in a fire alone, or a meteor caves in your skull, etc.

So are you saying that we need to improve education? Because it sounds like you're advocating the death of those who have been unfortunate to be born with bad genetics/bad parenting/bad education/other socioeconomic factors.

So are you saying that we need to improve education? Because it sounds like you're advocating the death of those who have been unfortunate to be born with bad genetics/bad parenting/bad education/other socioeconomic factors.

Forget education. The answer is simple: Soylent Green. Killing two birds with one stone!

Mmmmmmm, gimme some long pig! :lol:

1a. Freedom

1b. Personal Responsibility

1c. Opportunity

---

Freedom - The opportunity to choose one's path and not have it decided by or constrained by others in power.

Personally Responsibility - The understanding that if given the opportunity and freedom to decide your path, you will suffer the consequences and reap the rewards of your effort.

Opportunity - The individual's ability to recognize and take advantage of the gifts presented to us.

---

Solutions to human problems can be fixed by fighting for, providing, and preserving all three of the above.

Problems are created when we reduce, limit or take away any of the above.

• Fire 1

Let me guess, you're a fan of CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIAN VALUES Conga

It's a double-edged sword. We all want freedom to live our lives in peace, free from opression and discrimination and harm. But the issue is that not all people are good people who will respect that freedom. Problems arise when the shittier people have freedom to do whatever they want. Seriously. And even non-sh**ty people with too much freedom will turn their own fortune into awful circumstances for others. Look at how McDonalds and Walmart have created a ton of issues for lower-class America because their management is free to take advantage of them. I don't think that they're being oppressive or evil by any means, but their freedom to hire people at minimum wage with no benefits and only give them 25 hours a week, totally unchecked, is a freedom that they should not have. Uncontrolled social and economic capitalism has been the system for most of human history and it results in dictatorships, powerful wealthy oppression of the lower/middle class, slavery, poverty, etc etc. Which then leads to LESS freedom.

Sure freedom from opression is huge. But freedom to indirectly take advantage of others and game the system is equally bad.

• Fire 1

You can tie it back to Obamacare too - "I want the freedom to not buy health insurance" ...yeah, well that freedom is the same thing that results in insurance companies being able to drop coverage from the 55-yr-old self-employed contractor who got cancer and whose costs have run too high for their liking, leaving him unable to find insurance on the market and bankrupting him and his family. Your freedom to not pay for insurance has indirectly cost that man his freedom to healthcare and possibly his life. Same sort of thing. Most of the world's social and economic problems will be solved not through vague principles and ideals, but through compromises that collectively give a person the most freedom he or she can get without negatively impacting the freedoms of others, whether directly or indirectly. And that level of freedom will almost certainly not be "The opportunity to choose one's path and not have it decided by or constrained by others in power."

• Fire 1

Education was first on my list, yes. Many problems can be solved with real education in the long term. But not all. There will always be some people that just need to to die for the betterment of the species. The removal of their genes from the pool can only be considered a good thing.

1a. Freedom

1b. Personal Responsibility

1c. Opportunity

that is pretty simplistic. first, everyone would have to start at an equal playing field. warren buffett's kids get to enjoy all those ideals very differently from a kid born in the ghetto. second, there is freedom to do things and freedom from things. like smoking. i want the freedom to enjoy restaurants without smelling smoke. some would say that freedom infringes on others' freedom to smoke in public. third, so much of your opportunity, and therefore personal responsibility, has to do with the genes you inherit and the socioeconomic status you are born into.

and it seems like the biggest threats to all of those ideals are multinational corporations that afford you most of your liberties (people complained about the duck dude's freedom of speech, but that was granted and denied to him by A&E. furthermore, as alluded above, income and benefits provided to you by your employer, namely healthcare, largely dictate the kind of "freedoms" you can enjoy).

• Fire 1

Let me guess, you're a fan of CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIAN VALUES Conga

I'm a fan of Freedom, Responsibility and Opportunity. If you need to apply a label to it, I'd pick "Laissez-faire" as an acceptable label, but that probably doesn't fully encompass my fandom.

It's a double-edged sword. We all want freedom to live our lives in peace, free from opression and discrimination and harm. But the issue is that not all people are good people who will respect that freedom. Problems arise when the shittier people have freedom to do whatever they want. Seriously. And even non-sh**ty people with too much freedom will turn their own fortune into awful circumstances for others.

You're not wrong. There is a balance that must be struck...but we need to make sure we don't confuse freedoms, privileges and rights - and the simple fact there are winners and losers when competition is entered into the equation.

Freedoms might generally be thought as economic freedoms. A completely unregulated system is anarchy and from there each and every regulation, law and restriction gets us closer to totalitarianism. i'm not arguing for anarchy, I'm arguing for less totalitarianism.

- An example of a freedom is simply the choice of where to work or what car to buy.

Rights are more specific and refer to those pesky "unalienable rights" that those old white guys who setup this country were so adamant about. No doubt, one's own rights cease to exist when they intrude on the rights of another - but that is a very heady topic and has absolutely nothing to do with minimum wage, healthcare or Walmart.

- An example of a "right" is the freedom of speech - which means the government apparatus doesn't impede your ability to say what you want - so long as it doesn't interfere with others rights to safety - or something like that.

Privileges might be defined as something we become accustomed to, which may or may not incur a burden on others, but as a society we've decide they are important to provided to all - but can be taken away when someone doesn't do what they are supposed to to maintain the privilege.

- Healthcare is probably best described this way, as we are in the process of making it a universal privilege. It's not a freedom and hasn't been for a long time and it's not a right, since it does incur a burden on others.

This is a huge topic to discuss, but my point is it's important to use the correct words. When I say "freedom" and you say "freedom", it's best if we are discussing the same thing. Your reply would indicate we are not.

---

Look at how McDonalds and Walmart have created a ton of issues for lower-class America because their management is free to take advantage of them. I don't think that they're being oppressive or evil by any means, but their freedom to hire people at minimum wage with no benefits and only give them 25 hours a week, totally unchecked, is a freedom that they should not have.

I can't disagree with this more and find the comment rather frightening.

Uncontrolled social and economic capitalism has been the system for most of human history and it results in dictatorships, powerful wealthy oppression of the lower/middle class, slavery, poverty, etc etc. Which then leads to LESS freedom.

Sure freedom from opression is huge. But freedom to indirectly take advantage of others and game the system is equally bad.

This is a rather absurd statement. I'm not sure you understand what "capitalism" is. It most certainly has NOT "been the system for most of human history" and responsible for ANY dictatorships.

• Fire 2

Just want to point out that ONLY the United State has 'freedom of speech' Every other country has a form of censorship board, weather or not that name it as such. Many nations have limits on things you can say, or write, without a possible arrest.

Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press, and the Presumption of Innocence are far from rights for most people living on this planet. They are so ingrained in us as Americans we take for granted that others outside our borders have the same rights. They do not.

• Fire 1

Uncontrolled social and economic capitalism has been the system for most of human history and it results in dictatorships, powerful wealthy oppression of the lower/middle class, slavery, poverty, etc etc. Which then leads to LESS freedom.

This is a rather absurd statement. I'm not sure you understand what "capitalism" is. It most certainly has NOT "been the system for most of human history" and responsible for ANY dictatorships.

Some version of it has actually. Rules applied only to the lower levels of societies, and the wealthier a person became the fewer rules that would govern them. And the consolidation of wealth and power were the #1 priority of those at the top. Capitalism in its current form is little different, only instead of a 'family' being who is trying to gain the money and power, its a corporation doing it. And we do have a fairly recent, historically speaking, era with complete, unregulated capitalism. And it is the core of WHY we have many of the rules we have now, and that the rightwingers are trying to remove. Trust me, this is not a part of history we want to repeat by not learning from it.