Top of the list of world problems

i tend to agree with carlfense more than i disagree with him, and i do agree religion causes a lot of problems (namely in the middle east), but i imagine people would find other reasons to hate each other if religion did not exist. seems like you could argue that religion is the excuse, not the cause.

And there you're probably right.

Food distribution: We don't have a supply issue with food. We have a distribution issue. It usually is an issue due to horrible governments that either don't allow distribution of food to the population or they don't allow systems to be developed to distribute it.

Plus, ability to pay for said food . . .

Food distribution: We don't have a supply issue with food. We have a distribution issue. It usually is an issue due to horrible governments that either don't allow distribution of food to the population or they don't allow systems to be developed to distribute it.

Not trolling with this, but who says food should cost money?

Not trolling with this, but who says food should cost money?

There have been instances where starvation was happening in a particular country. FREE food was available from countries like the US and the local governments would not allow it to be distributed or they sold it for their own benefit.

There have been instances where starvation was happening in a particular country. FREE food was available from countries like the US and the local governments would not allow it to be distributed or they sold it for their own benefit.

I get that. I'm not like...I guess I'm asking more theoretically or rhetorically. It's an assumed presupposition that food has to cost money. It doesn't.

1. Deficiencies in education

2. Marginalization of women

3. Scarcity of stable, non-corrupt, efficacious governments

4. Innate propensity for human conflict

Notes

1. Better education would help address many smaller issues...human rights, disease, economic etc...

2. 50% of the population yet they're often denied basic rights and are shut out from the economies and political scenes of many nations. No country can afford to ignore half it's population or allow it to lie idle.

3. Effective governments are the key to real progress in the developing world. Without an effective government the international community can throw all the aid in the world at a problem and not get traction. We can provide food and medicine to starving masses but what favor are we really doing when all that does is assure them a life of misery and poverty? These governments need not be democratic to work, heck a military dictatorship steered South Korea from a war ruined nation to the nation it is today until the 1980s. It just needs to have the interests and development of the people at heart...though admittedly dictatorships of this type are rare. Furthermore, government is the key to 1&2.

4. More relevant to the developed world but how much money is wasted in defense spending worldwide each year? I'm a veteran, not a hippie, but I think it's a tremendous tragedy. Trillions and trillions to buy fleets of equipment only to replace it after a few years, and all for what? A standing peacetime military is essentially a nation's insurance policy. It would be nice to live in a world where such insurance wasn't necessary...all the progress we can make in other areas if we had that money. Such a time may not be a fantasy either as it seems large scale international conflict is growing less and less likely.

I don't view disease or famine as problems worth addressing first or with a special vigor. That would be like fighting termites when your house is on fire. That kind of aid almost creates problems of its own...the West pumping all this food and medicine into places that didn't acquire them the way the West did...through economic advancement and growth...and as a result those underdeveloped countries get huge populations, ever dependent on continual aid, that they can't provide with jobs or educations.

It's painful but teach and employ them first, heal and feed them second.

• Fire 1

I get that. I'm not like...I guess I'm asking more theoretically or rhetorically. It's an assumed presupposition that food has to cost money. It doesn't.

You're right, it doesn't. I grow a lot of relatively free food in my own yard.

How'd you get the yard?

How'd you get the yard?

worked for it.

How'd you get the yard?

worked for it.

And then paid for it presumably.

Admittedly, that was a smart ass comment.

I'm fine with free food to people who can't afford it. I support the local food bank with quite a bit in donations and my family has volunteered there often.

When I was thinking about the question, I was thinking more international and many places in the world where there is starvation free food is available if relief was allowed into the country to distribute food.

Back to topic:

It appears that the main points are

Education

Food distribution/supply

Religious conflicts

unstable/unstable governments

What should be done about it? Or, is what is being done good enough but these problems will simply always exist?