Friday night tykes.

Anyone watch? What's the consensus? Obviously a lot is probably put on. The Broncos coach is a nutjob. He needs to get a life. I cant believe the Colts coach is so encouraging of the language ans such. But overall, I really didnt think it was as nuts as I thought it would be. I find myself agreeing with some things, and then furious a couple minutes later. The biggest thing for me is just the simple talent. 8 and 9 year old kids and their speed and athletic ability. The running back for the Colts, his name is Kadeon? Lott. That's a name we'll hear about 9-10 years from now when making his college choice. The one thing that really pissed me off though is making the kid run to the bushes over and over cuz he was "out of shape". If he's not in shape, he's not in shape, but he's not gonna learn anything by just running. But what do I know. My state dont put out the football players that Texas does, so i guess I dont know sh#t. But this show just shows a total lacking of perspective not on just the game, but life itself.

Very good discussion about this show on Sharp and Benning this morning. I'm sure it will be on a pod cast to listen to if you missed it and are interested.

From what I was able to listen to, the consensus on the radio was that this show goes too far and the coaches and parents are out of line.

Yes, most are out of line. But the big kid that plays for the colts, his parents seem like good folks. Like I said, some of their overall line of thinking as far as teaching the kids about intensity and working hard and so on I dont have problem with, but their relating of those mindsets gets so caught up in winning that it's just ridiculous. What my question is, is it really this ridiculous there, or did this being on tv create to need to exaggerate a lot of this?

One of the biggest issues the guys on the radio had was that they weren't even teaching proper techniques in stuff like tackling. So, the coach was all worked up and being a jack azz but he wasn't even doing HIS job.

These kids need to be playing flag football. That's it. They would have fun, learn the basics of running plays and the game and have more fun. These kids are being thrown into this due to over zealous coaches and parents.

It's pretty pathetic.

One of the biggest issues the guys on the radio had was that they weren't even teaching proper techniques in stuff like tackling. So, the coach was all worked up and being a jack azz but he wasn't even doing HIS job.

These kids need to be playing flag football. That's it. They would have fun, learn the basics of running plays and the game and have more fun. These kids are being thrown into this due to over zealous coaches and parents.

It's pretty pathetic.

We have a flag league with the Y here in Hastings, that my at that time 6 year old son will be playing this coming fall. I think it's great. It's great that the kids get a good jump on the inner workings of the game and such, things like x's and o'x and the nuances of the sport, that way when the do get to full contact at the 10+year old age, they have nice head start on the mental part of the game as opposed to have to start 100% from scratch, and more time can be spent on the basics of full contact, especially with rising issues on the health side of things. So yes, I agree, any kid under 10 years of age just should not be playing full contact.

It's pretty pathetic.

We have a flag league with the Y here in Hastings, that my at that time 6 year old son will be playing this coming fall. I think it's great. It's great that the kids get a good jump on the inner workings of the game and such, things like x's and o'x and the nuances of the sport, that way when the do get to full contact at the 10+year old age, they have nice head start on the mental part of the game as opposed to have to start 100% from scratch, and more time can be spent on the basics of full contact, especially with rising issues on the health side of things. So yes, I agree, any kid under 10 years of age just should not be playing full contact.

That is very similar to what we have around here and I think it's a great program. Coaches and parents are asked to leave if they get out of hand.

I think this entire series paints youth football in a bad light. This is not typical behavior.

That's what I'm thinking. I know football in texas is serious business and on another level. But I just cant fathom that there is behavior like this surrounding 8 and 9 year olds. Like I said, I really have no problem with pushing the kids some and teaching them about working hard and competition and accountablility and stuff, but the way it's done and protrayed on this show is just sad.