The Moaning of Life

knapplc

you can control your own focus and energy level, but not your oppents'. it is foolish to discount any win, but all wins certainly are not equal. ultimately, though, a win is a win and a loss is a loss. if you are not taking every advantage you can to win, including getting up for every game and exploiting opponents who are not, then there is a problem.

I suppose that depends on how much you're going to pin me down to the "get a pass" phrase that I offhandedly typed. If we're going to be completely pedantic about it I'm bored with the "I didn't say exactly that" back-and-forth so I'll bow out. If you're going to allow the intent of what I typed to be discussed, I think it has merit as a topic. Not specifically only because Hujan talked generally about it, but also because it's a fair question - Is it OK to discount certain of Nebraska's wins because of opponent record or perceived interest level, and if so, is OK to apply that same litmus test to Nebraska's losses? If not, why not?

sh#t, my apologies sir. I guess I misunderstood. I thought you had maybe mistook the point of my rant. Then I read through other comments and hadn't really seen things going in the direction of people giving a pass......

Anyways, to answer your question, I say most times no, it's not fair. This is tough though. The reason being, from sitting in the stands or watching on television, it's really hard to determine the amount of effort being given. Sometimes physical dominance by one side over the other can make a competition look one sided. Familiarity with Nebraska makes it easier to tell when there is a lack of effort, but then again, what about injuries? Who knows what might be going on behind the scenes? So, generally I say no, it's just not a fair way to say why a win or loss happened. Even as I say this, I know I've probably judged a game based on the effort shown by team A and team B, but giving it thought, I'm probably wrong in doing so. You're right, a topic worth thought for sure.