The Moaning of Life

knapplc

I think jsneb83 is correct right there, ^^^ but I would add that most everyone's comfort level would increase dramatically if the team simply became less sloppy. Fumbles, false starts, not getting plays or defensive calls in in a timely manner... there's a pretty big list of things they do that may not directly contribute to losses, but can, and they make the team look ill-prepared.

I think we have some pretty serious athletes on this team but they're missing some "thing" that puts them over the top, some je ne sais quois that the teams in the top ten have and we lack.

Exactly. This is my biggest frustration. It goes both ways though. If we weren't doing any of this and still winning only 9, I'd say we'd be even farther away from a breakthrough season than we are now. It's obvious if the turnovers, and other BS crap we do could be limited...we'd be winning 11 games almost every year. Look at we do to ourselves and still win 9-10. However, these are issues that have plagued the team for the better part of the last 4-5 years. At the end of the day most people's opinion of Bo can be summed up on whether or not you think he can fix the above issues. The wins will come if he does - that's obvious. If he can't, then we'll always be overcoming ourselves.

It's not 9 wins, it's not 10, or 11 or 12. It's not 4 losses. It's whether he can clean the team up enough so they can "allow" themselves to win more games. The numbers work themselves out if so.

• Fire 2

Supporting the team, cheering for them and being happy to be a Cornhusker fan makes you a "sunshine pumper." Anyone caught celebrating the Northwestern win is a sunshine pumper. Anyone happy that we had n**e w**s is a sunshine pumper. Anyone excited to have gotten to watch Taylor Martinez play here is a sunshine pumper. Anyone who even thinks of voicing out loud the idea that we may be better next year is a sunshine pumper.

Being a Husker fan is no longer about celebrating the culture of Nebraska football. It's about attaching yourself to a team that you'll be the most critical of.

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see any of that.

I think jsneb83 is correct right there, ^^^ but I would add that most everyone's comfort level would increase dramatically if the team simply became less sloppy. Fumbles, false starts, not getting plays or defensive calls in in a timely manner... there's a pretty big list of things they do that may not directly contribute to losses, but can, and they make the team look ill-prepared.

I think we have some pretty serious athletes on this team but they're missing some "thing" that puts them over the top, some je ne sais quois that the teams in the top ten have and we lack.

Exactly. This is my biggest frustration. It goes both ways though. If we weren't doing any of this and still winning only 9, I'd say we'd be even farther away from a breakthrough season than we are now. It's obvious if the turnovers, and other BS crap we do could be limited...we'd be winning 11 games almost every year. Look at we do to ourselves and still win 9-10. However, these are issues that have plagued the team for the better part of the last 4-5 years. At the end of the day most people's opinion of Bo can be summed up on whether or not you think he can fix the above issues. The wins will come if he does - that's obvious. If he can't, then we'll always be overcoming ourselves.

It's not 9 wins, it's not 10, or 11 or 12. It's not 4 losses. It's whether he can clean the team up enough so they can "allow" themselves to win more games. The numbers work themselves out if so.

Agreed.

Supporting the team, cheering for them and being happy to be a Cornhusker fan makes you a "sunshine pumper." Anyone caught celebrating the Northwestern win is a sunshine pumper. Anyone happy that we had n**e w**s is a sunshine pumper. Anyone excited to have gotten to watch Taylor Martinez play here is a sunshine pumper. Anyone who even thinks of voicing out loud the idea that we may be better next year is a sunshine pumper.

Being a Husker fan is no longer about celebrating the culture of Nebraska football. It's about attaching yourself to a team that you'll be the most critical of.

It happens occasionally here, but it's rampant on BRR, RSS, and HuskerMax. You'll be labeled a PeLLLLini supporter or accused of holding the program back for not demanding better results, or supporting mediocrity (which nobody knows the definition of apparently), etc...

The conversation continues in the Status Update, apparently, and Foppa makes an interesting point (abridged)

there's not a lot you can say about a win other than 'hooray!' But there's usually a billion things to critique in a loss. That's why discussion boards tend to exist, IMO.

That's pretty sad if that's all this board is for. If the only purpose of HuskerBoard is to agonize over what's not good enough, and not to celebrate being a fan of this team, that's a pretty morbid existence for this place.

At that point I'd expect more fans of other teams to come here to enjoy the schadenfreude than Husker fans actually enjoying their team. Interesting that this is what the board seems to be for, for some people.

It's not all this board is for. I've got to see some hot chicks, picked up some nice recipes, learned how to be argumentative, and found some new tunes. Now leave me alone and let me continue to complain about Husker football :D

You haven't seen the #9wins hashtag floating around, mocking winning nine games? You haven't seen this thread?

You haven't noticed how traffic quadruples after a loss?

You haven't noticed the fact that we can't have a Taylor Martinez-esque thread without it turning into an analysis of his flaws?

You haven't noticed that nary a thread has a mention of excitement for "next year" and someone, or often many someones, come in and says, "We were saying this last year." And the inevitable four-loss conversation starts, and the Bo leaving, and bap bap bap.

Are you saying you haven't seen any of this, or are you remarking on the hyperbole I'm using? Because if you're saying it doesn't exist, at all, I'm gonna get concerned.

I guess it depends on what you're looking at. Maybe you haven't seen this stuff.

^you forgot injuries happen everywhere debate

^ask ESPN how injuries happen...to Georgia. I'm surprised they didn't find a way to use the golf 'handicap' for them in the Gator Bowl, especially since they lost. But that's going off the subject, carry on.

You haven't seen the #9wins hashtag floating around, mocking winning nine games? You haven't seen this thread?

You haven't noticed how traffic quadruples after a loss?

You haven't noticed the fact that we can't have a Taylor Martinez-esque thread without it turning into an analysis of his flaws?

You haven't noticed that nary a thread has a mention of excitement for "next year" and someone, or often many someones, come in and says, "We were saying this last year." And the inevitable four-loss conversation starts, and the Bo leaving, and bap bap bap.

Are you saying you haven't seen any of this, or are you remarking on the hyperbole I'm using? Because if you're saying it doesn't exist, at all, I'm gonna get concerned.

I guess it depends on what you're looking at. Maybe you haven't seen this stuff.

I sense a project, but it won't get to be finished until the end of next season.