When 9 wins a year isn't the whole story.

NUpolo8

Saw this kickin around and thought it might be fun here.

Now, Bo Pelini and Nebraska finished off with a bowl win, and that's a good thing, and of course the #9wins mantra kicked into full froth again as a sign of improvement, steadiness, and something to build for towards the future.

So admittedly, I hate the 9 wins argument, and it's been discussed to death here, be it a good or bad thing. So, let's just look at how Bo gets his 9/10 wins a year.

Bo Pelini vs BCS opponents according to wins.

13+ game winners: 0-2

12+ game winners: 0-6

11+ game winners: 2-10

10+ game winners: 4-14

9 + game winners: 5-17

8 + game winners: 13-20

7 + game winners: 21-22

6 + game winners: 24-23

Avg point margin against BCS opponents.

13 Wins: -7ppg

12 Wins: -19ppg

11 Wins: -8.5

10 Wins: -7.6ppg

9 Wins: -6.75ppg

8 Wins: 2.3ppg

7 Wins: 9.8ppg

6 Wins: 10.5ppg

If you consider 9 wins Nebraska's standard, Nu currently has a .227 winning percentage against their peers. And holy crap the point differential.

Ultimately, I think most people would like those stats to improve. This seems to show a heavy reliance on beating some pretty poor teams to salvage a "benchmark" season. Something many NU fans used to mock schools like KState for.

Pretty sure your losses totals are way off. Not sure how it is possible to lose 114 games in 6 seasons.

• Fire 2

Saw this kickin around and thought it might be fun here.

Now, Bo Pelini and Nebraska finished off with a bowl win, and that's a good thing, and of course the #9wins mantra kicked into full froth again as a sign of improvement, steadiness, and something to build for towards the future.

So admittedly, I hate the 9 wins argument, and it's been discussed to death here, be it a good or bad thing. So, let's just look at how Bo gets his 9/10 wins a year.

Bo Pelini vs BCS opponents according to wins.

13+ game winners: 0-2

12+ game winners: 0-6

11+ game winners: 2-10

10+ game winners: 4-14

9 + game winners: 5-17

8 + game winners: 13-20

7 + game winners: 21-22

6 + game winners: 24-23

Avg point margin against BCS opponents.

13 Wins: -7ppg

12 Wins: -19ppg

11 Wins: -8.5

10 Wins: -7.6ppg

9 Wins: -6.75ppg

8 Wins: 2.3ppg

7 Wins: 9.8ppg

6 Wins: 10.5ppg

If you consider 9 wins Nebraska's standard, Nu currently has a .227 winning percentage against their peers. And holy crap the point differential.

Ultimately, I think most people would like those stats to improve. This seems to show a heavy reliance on beating some pretty poor teams to salvage a "benchmark" season. Something many NU fans used to mock schools like KState for.

Pretty sure your losses totals are way off. Not sure how it is possible to lose 114 games in 6 seasons.

Crap, that's really muddled.

I'm assuming this stat means a 13 win team also won 6, 7, 8 etc....

I'm a fan who appreciates the 9+ wins per season that Pelini has accomplished. Do I consider it some sort of "standard" or "benchmark"? Not necessarily. I do believe this much......we will not fire a 9 win coach again anytime soon. So Pelini's 9 wins offers job security. The strength of schedule stuff goes back a long time......before Pelini to the days of the Big 8, or Big 2 and Little 6. The one place I will give Pelini credit, regardless of any asterisks for schedule or anything else is this. If winning consistently like Pelini has done....in this case the number 9......were no big deal, the list of coaches who have accomplished it would be longer.

• Fire 3

Yeah nine wins against the crap of our sched doesn't look so good but, nine wins would look amazing if we had only won 5-7 games a year every 3-5 yrs.

plus it's not easy to win any games. You have to play them and you have to win.

There would 10-12 teams who've done it more the last 6 yrs if it were easy, not 3

Only including BCS competition:

vs. 13-win teams: 0-2, -7.0 ppg

vs. 12-win teams: 0-4, -19.0 ppg

vs. 11-win teams: 2-4, -8.5 ppg

vs. 10-win teams: 2-4, -7.7 ppg

vs. 9-win teams: 1-3, -6.8 ppg

vs. 8-win teams: 8-3, +0.6 ppg

vs. 7-win teams: 8-2, +9.8 ppg

vs. 6-win teams: 4-1, +19.4 ppg

vs. everyone else: 18-2, +14.2 ppg

• Fire 5

While this is an interesting discussion, those stats don't mean much without a basis for comparison. For instance, how did Ohio St., Michigan, Oklahoma, or whoever you'd consider our "peers" do? That's too much time for me right now, but it'd be fascinating to see if someone did it.

That was my first thought. I want to see their records against teams with 9+ wins.

Also, if he's 0-8 against teams who've won 12+ games, then he's 2-2 against teams who've won 11 games, 4-4 against teams who've won 10 games, and 5-3 against teams who've won 9 games. So he's 11-9 against teams with 9, 10, or 11 wins.

• Fire 1