Club Volleyball

My daughter's team finished first day of President's Day Classic pool play 2-1. They advanced to the Gold Level track tomorrow at the CenturyLink Center tomorrow afternoon.

Congrats. We had a rough day 1. Finished 3rd in our pool 4. Should've went 2-1 but played terrible our first game of the day so went 1-2. That took us out of contention for the grand champion and reserve champion fights. Went 3-0 today so we got one of the top four seeds in what they call the 1st flight brackets. Monday is single elimination. I'm terrible, I almost hope they drop the first game. If not, we'll play at 10am, 2pm, then championship at 4. Don't tell my daughter but I've had enough volleyball for this weekend.

Finished 3rd in last nights pool(tie breaker on Set%). In the Silver Bracket today. Over all pretty happy with how they are playing, as this is only their second tournament playing together.

edit: won first match today in Silver. 20-25, 25-23, 15-11

won second match 25-18, 25-16 on to the final match in Silver Bracket.

Lost last game 24-26, 26-24, 12-15 to finish 14th out of 48 teams.

Ran into a bit of a buzzsaw for our first bracket game. Daughters team played really well at times and not so much so at others. One and done for us.

This team is missing a couple crucial things. We are really weak in our back row play, bad first pass and bad serve receive. And then we only have one or two girls that can put it away on a hit. My daughter is the setter and is very solid playing all the way around the rotation and we also have another girl that is an awesome hitter but she is not on the court half the time. The good thing is, even though most of our players just aren't very good, they are very scrappy and never quit. I can live with that but I do wish we had a libero and one more hitter. Just too many girls that haven't yet figured out they need to anticipate and move their feet to get their body into position. Maybe it will get better :-l

Hang in there...it's still early in the season. :thumbs

They moved our daughter from OH to MB...which she is hating atm. Instead of getting the majority of the swings, she now gets a couple per set. But they needed an athletic MB since the team doesn't have anyone over 5'10". On to South Dakota this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

It was a fun weekend. The girls played well at times and pretty darned bad at others.. Saturday went 1-2 and took third in our pool. Sunday went 3-0 and won our pool. Monday bracket play, won first game and got knocked out second game. They ended finished 69th out of 128 teams in their division. If we would've won our last game, would've faced A Nebraska Elite team from Omaha for the championship (65th) in our division.

Had some rather bizarre things happen. Two of our girls collided on Sunday, one definitely got a concussion and they played it safe with the other so we lost two players for Monday. Our team was in a three way tie for second in our pool on the first day. The new rule this year causes them to play each team an extra set to 25, instead of using tie breaking procedures. . The Dallas Synergy who had just beat us, immediately left the building (they were told to stay...). Well they were called back to play us one more set, only got two girls back in time, and had to forfeit, so they got 4th. Then we played the other team we had already beat, but lost so we took third. The wildest thing was on Sunday our last game. Went three sets and had just won (so we thought) 15-10. Our girls were already celebrating but the the team keeping score discovered we had a rotation error earlier so they took us back to 8 points, gave the other team a point, and we had to continue down 8-11. The other team was really excited. But we still came back and beat them again 16-14. The other teams coach was flipping out on her girls. Pretty wild.

• Fire 1

My daughter plays in the OVR of Ohio. She has had 3 tournaments so far this year, placing 1, 2 and 5th. They are a good team, but sometimes get down too far to come back which is what happened at their last tourney. She has a tournament this weekend at Miami University (Ohio), but is playing as a sub on the lower team, so we'll see, they are not that good and she wasn't happy that I said she would play.

• 2 weeks later...

Had our 5th and last power tournament of the season yesterday. The girls played really well considering their roster has been decimated. Most of our team had to play positions they're not used to and most girls had to play all the way around which they're also not used to. Out of our normal 11 players we only had 7 yesterday. Lost one to a knee injury, one to a horse show, one was on a cruise, and our best hitter had to go in for an emergency appendectomy Sunday morning. And 1 of those 7 just returned from a concussion so she was only able to see limited action. The coach turned our 2 shortest players into our 2 main hitters. One of them is usually our libero and both of them usually only play across the back row. The little libero girl did an awesome job hitting, probably the best hitting we've had all year. Go figure. And luckily my daughter quit setting to the other short girl cuz she was struggling bad. One of our tall girls who usually only plays across the front row had to play all the way around and by far played the back row the best anyone has all season. Her passes were on the button to the setter every friggin time. It was unbelievable. Usually my daughter has to chase that first pass all over the court but this girl was money in the back row. Went 3-0 in pool play but things caught up to them and they lost the crossover game. Finished in 2nd place so will move up a division for our last tournament which will be regionals at the end of April.

How's things going for you Tood?

• Fire 1

My daughters team picked up a win last weekend (22nd-23rd) in their JVA Power League tourney in Lincoln. Ended up beating River City 141 in the finals 2-0.

They were without their starting Libero, so our DS took her spot and she filled in nicely. Overall the girls played really well. We have one really solid OH that can put the ball down with a lot of power and she had a great weekend. My daughter played solid at the net (MB), had a couple nice slide kills, and 5-6 solo blocks. She has become more confident in her jump serve, and sprinkled in a few aces along the way.

We are getting ready for Kansas City Show-Me Qualifier this weekend. Will be down there Fri-Mon. 32 teams...2 USAV Nationals bids on the line. I think if they can play the way they have the past couple weeks, they should do well.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Headed to Chicago this weekend for the Mizuno Sports Performance Youth Classic. We got the #8 overall seed (64 teams), which puts us in a great spot to advance to the Gold bracket on Sunday.

Should be a good tune up before we head to Orlando for AAU Nationals in three weeks.

• Fire 1