Club Volleyball

Ended up playing some amazing volleyball this weekend. Went undefeated (only dropped one set to the #1 seed that we beat 2-1) and won the tournament.

Happy group of girls (and coaches) sporting their championship t-shirts:

gQhD1kx.jpg

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

:thumbs Sounds like they're more than ready for Orlando.

Late recap...

~150 teams in our brackets. We were seeded #50 and we ended up finishing 23rd.

Played really good volleyball until we had to play teams from Puerto Rico. From talking to their parents, the girls on these teams practice year round, and have been together on the same teams since they were 9 years old. They take their volleyball pretty serious down there.

Anyways, very happy how all the girls on our team played. Great group of girls/coaches/parents that we will hopefully meet again down the road.

My daughter only had one week off (after Nationals) before hitting the gym for 3 days/wk Weights/Conditioning. First camp was this afternoon in Omaha, and hitting one more next week in Lincoln before school starts.

It never ends....

• Fire 1

Late recap...

~150 teams in our brackets. We were seeded #50 and we ended up finishing 23rd.

Played really good volleyball until we had to play teams from Puerto Rico. From talking to their parents, the girls on these teams practice year round, and have been together on the same teams since they were 9 years old. They take their volleyball pretty serious down there.

Anyways, very happy how all the girls on our team played. Great group of girls/coaches/parents that we will hopefully meet again down the road.

My daughter only had one week off (after Nationals) before hitting the gym for 3 days/wk Weights/Conditioning. First camp was this afternoon in Omaha, and hitting one more next week in Lincoln before school starts.

It never ends....

Sounds like they did very well. If you travel and look for it, you can always find somebody better. I know some of the teams we've seen at Colorado Crossroads are simply on a whole different level. Some of them play year round and their club fees are in the $20K range. Some of the girls live away from their families just so they can play with certain clubs. I've seen teams of 13 year olds and not one of them was under 5'-9". Crazy.

My daughter also is hitting it hard with her high school team. I had no idea they would be practicing 3-5 times per week all friggin summer. Already been to 2 team camps and have another one this week. 25 games in 3 days..... I'm glad she likes it.

as I type this, my daughter is on the driveway hitting her volleyball against the house. she spends hours a day out there doing that....if she is not at club, camps, training, she's on the driveway. I do not push this, she is obsessed with the sport. I just stay out of the way and pay BIG TIME $$ for travel, club fees, training, etc......and her being a 12YO 5'10 MB who plays with great coaches/great team doesn't hurt. , she can jump and hits very hard, having a phenomenal setter doesn't hurt either...she plays with a great front, even as a middle blocker, she gets set a lot, some games she may have 5-10 kills...she is lucky to be with the people in the sport she is with...I always remind her that she is blessed to have the team, coaching and friendships she has from this sport...

she plays 12u, USAV. won their power league. her team went to Nationals in Minneapolis ranked #6 in the nation. went 5-0 in pool play with wins over teams from TX, California, AZ, Maryland and I believe Premier or Elite out of Nebraska. they had a bit of a meltdown as a #1 seed and lost to #2 seed from Arizona in challenge(top 16) round 13-15 in 3 . .I think they ended up #11 in the nation, were 9-0 in regular season play against 4 of the teams who made it t gold level(including a team from California they whooped in 2 the day before!!!!) . the weird thing about that challenge match is that while the entire year is about strength of schedule, then you have a challenge game to seed into the championship bracket, and if you get beat, its over. you lose that 1 challenge game, you kick out to silver level ....no shot at National Championship. that's very tough!

the team that won 12u was OVA out of Orlando afte beating our rival from KC who we were lucky enough to go 4-0 against in power league. Cant say enough good things about either of those teams, I'm not sure our rival out of KC hadn't come along farther than us in the second half of the year, but we didn't get to play them again after 'show me' in KC. OVA had 2 12 YO's who are 6'2! 6 freakin 2! when we played them, it was quite a battle up front as both front lines are big, physical, and athletic. but they beat us well. they are clearly a cut above everyone...

there were 300 D1, D2 NAIC, etc colleges in Minneapolis recruiting this year. that was pretty cool to see.

She was at Nebraska camp last week and played in the coliseum . I think her coach was #9 Cecilla Hall. all in all a fun weekend. spent most of the camp playing with high school kids so that was really cool.

anyway, don't know where this will go., and certainly there is a long way to go. this may end in a year or 2, or maybe the devaney center!!! ...she always jokes and tells me she wants to play at Penn state, in which my response is I will disown her, PSU will not be an option if NU is in the conversation...but for now we just need to focus on today... anyway u just never know...i really just support her, as long as she enjoys it, i'm good, if at some point she decides she done, ill miss it. I don't coach her, don't pressure her, just support her.

didn't really ever know anything about volleyball until my daughter started playing. now I really enjoy the sport and have immense respect the athletes that compete in that sport at any level. and for you guys who have kids playing, tell me watching them play doesn't get as intense as watching NU playing in a close game coming down to the final play. I am always emotionally wiped out after a weekend of tournament play.

• Fire 1
  • 5 months later...

Well the new club season will be starting again for us the weekend of January 17th. Have a tourney down in Colorado Springs and our first game will be against Nebraska Elite 15's. Our coach knows we have a couple girls new to volleyball so he was warning those parents tonight that Nebraska Elite would probably beat any team in Colorado and that we should be extremely happy if the girls hit double figures in that game. Good way to start the club season though IMO.

Well the new club season will be starting again for us the weekend of January 17th. Have a tourney down in Colorado Springs and our first game will be against Nebraska Elite 15's. Our coach knows we have a couple girls new to volleyball so he was warning those parents tonight that Nebraska Elite would probably beat any team in Colorado and that we should be extremely happy if the girls hit double figures in that game. Good way to start the club season though IMO.

The 15-1 Elite team is pretty good (3-5th best 15s in the state). I bet you guys do better than your coaches expectations. :thumbs

My daughters season ended (injury) before it started, unfortunately.

The team I am coaching (13-1) has first local tournament on the 31st.

Keep us posted JJ on the progress throughout the season! If you guys go to KC for the qualifier let me know.

Sorry to hear about the injury Tood. Hope she heals up soon.

I think my daughters team will be decent based on the little bit of her practices I've seen but probably not in the top dozen 15's teams in Colorado. We're starting out in about division 7 which basically is at about 42nd +/- in the state. With only 6 power tournaments, we would have to win every one to even make it up to the top 6 in division 1. The good news is, they should do lots of winning the first 3 to 4 powers. The bad news is, if they do end up being really good, their initial seeding will keep them from being able score enough ranking points so, they're basically prevented from ending the season ranked high enough to move on to a regional or nationals. Somehow I don't think that will end up being a problem.

I do really like her coach this year. He pushes them hard and is pretty much no nonsense. My daughter likes him also, he's been at it for many years. It's nice to finally have someone that really knows the game and how to coach a competitive team. The last few years she got some pretty good skills coaching at practices, from the club coaches as a group but, her team's coaches were either young and inexperienced, soft, or tended towards rec ball thinking of everyone plays equally. That was annoying on more than many occasions. I don't think that will be an issue with this guy. About one too many mistakes and I'm convinced they'll ride a little pine.