GOP, The Middle Class and Trade Policy

Basically the "the new world order" became the downfall of the GOP and in many ways the middle class.

Trade policy: corporate cronyism, manufacturing, lost/stagnant wages all discussed.

http://www.wnd.com/2...middle-america/

One commentor after the article states - I highlighted the last sentence which hits the nail on the head. He mentions the Buffet Plan to reduce trade deficeits - I'm not familiar with it but I have provided a couple of links here:

http://www.levyinsti...ons/?docid=1077

http://www.traderefo...80%94make-jobs/

Will Wilkin

While I absolutely agree with Mr. Buchanan that the Free Trade offshoring of our manufacturing was a great betrayal of Americans, and while there may be some truth in saying the large numbers of immigration in that de-industrializing context did indeed contribute to the stagnation of American wages, I heartily disagree with his focus on the electoral and partisan effects of these trends and the demographic make-up of the immigrants.

If we really have a patriotic loyalty to the USA as the denominator of our common identity and common fate, then we care not a whit for either political party, nor for the ethnic background of immigrants. Our focus should be on getting BOTH parties to replace Free Trade with Balanced Trade (such as the Buffett Plan using Import Certificates) to divert our $600 Billion annual trade deficits into new demand for US-made goods.

Regarding immigrants, although until we re-industrialize I do favor restricting entry, the emphasis should indeed ultimately be on integrating them as full citizens, speaking English and participating in every American institution with a common identity and common national interest.

When our country had 80 years of trade surpluses (from the late 1890s to the mid 1970s), we absorbed huge numbers of immigrants AND built growing levels of prosperity. Our troubles began and must be fixed starting with TRADE POLICY. Once we have a Balanced Trade policy to end our trade deficits and require that globalized corporations invest employ and produce in the USA to sell in the USA, all our other problems --from unemployment and poverty wages to fiscal crises-- will be a lot easier to solve.

There are some things I agree with in the article and some I don't. As usual, he will take a topic I will start to agree with him on and then take it in a direction that I have to step away from agreeing.

As for the bolded part above, I agree. I am not a fan of free trade agreements with countries that don't have anywhere close to the same labor and environmental laws as we have. It is a disaster for American workers and companies who want to manufacture in the US. It allows unethical companies to access that pool of disgusting industry and ultimately hurts American jobs. THEN, the ones who do actually have some morals are forced to follow to stay competitive. It's just a bad equation for most involved.

The Democrats have done a wonderful job of pooling everyone who is in a minority under their umbrella and makes them feel welcome. Republicans have become the party of angry old white men. Pretty hard to win national elections that way.

There are some things I agree with in the article and some I don't. As usual, he will take a topic I will start to agree with him on and then take it in a direction that I have to step away from agreeing.

As for the bolded part above, I agree. I am not a fan of free trade agreements with countries that don't have anywhere close to the same labor and environmental laws as we have. It is a disaster for American workers and companies who want to manufacture in the US. It allows unethical companies to access that pool of disgusting industry and ultimately hurts American jobs. THEN, the ones who do actually have some morals are forced to follow to stay competitive. It's just a bad equation for most involved.

The Democrats have done a wonderful job of pooling everyone who is in a minority under their umbrella and makes them feel welcome. Republicans have become the party of angry old white men. Pretty hard to win national elections that way.

agree

I will tell you something just from my experience. I am not making this comment based on anything other than my experience as an employer.

Many jobs have not been lost to hispanic workers because they are cheaper. Sure, there are some. But, one heck of a lot of them are hired into jobs that are paying just as much as they would pay a white person.

BUT.....if I have two candidates both in their mid 20s walk in and apply for a job and one is white and the other is hispanic, my FIRST thought would be hire the hispanic and I would maybe even be willing to pay him more than I would the white person. Now, I'm making that comment knowing that I really don't know either one and an interview could change my mind. It has nothing to do with legal or illegal either. We do absolutely every back ground check possible to not hire illegal immigrants and everyone that works here pays all applicable taxes.

BUT.....the biggest problem group we have when we employ people are white people in their 20s. Probably the BEST group we have that we hire are hispanics in that same group or a little older.

So, I roll my eyes sometimes when I read that employers only hire hispanics because they want to tap into cheap labor. That's an insult to hispanics and employers who try their best to follow all rules. I have talked to other business people who without question say the same thing I just said.

American kids grow up with an entitlement attitude and with no understanding that when you are hired you are expected to actually show up for work and do what you were hired to do.

Until that changes (and I don't see it happening) there are going to be a lot of businesses looking at someone else other than American raised kids/people for labor.

I will tell you something just from my experience. I am not making this comment based on anything other than my experience as an employer.

Many jobs have not been lost to hispanic workers because they are cheaper. Sure, there are some. But, one heck of a lot of them are hired into jobs that are paying just as much as they would pay a white person.

BUT.....if I have two candidates both in their mid 20s walk in and apply for a job and one is white and the other is hispanic, my FIRST thought would be hire the hispanic and I would maybe even be willing to pay him more than I would the white person. Now, I'm making that comment knowing that I really don't know either one and an interview could change my mind. It has nothing to do with legal or illegal either. We do absolutely every back ground check possible to not hire illegal immigrants and everyone that works here pays all applicable taxes.

BUT.....the biggest problem group we have when we employ people are white people in their 20s. Probably the BEST group we have that we hire are hispanics in that same group or a little older.

So, I roll my eyes sometimes when I read that employers only hire hispanics because they want to tap into cheap labor. That's an insult to hispanics and employers who try their best to follow all rules. I have talked to other business people who without question say the same thing I just said.

American kids grow up with an entitlement attitude and with no understanding that when you are hired you are expected to actually show up for work and do what you were hired to do.

Until that changes (and I don't see it happening) there are going to be a lot of businesses looking at someone else other than American raised kids/people for labor.

You know, there is an unfairness in the talk about illegal immigration. Too often the talk creates a negative impression of those who have crossed our boarders. I too, have worked with and hired (not as an company owner but as a mgr) many hispanics and find most to be very family oriented, hard working. There are bad apples but it is unfair to label them all as 'law breakers' even if that is technically correct for those who came here illegally. My biggest grip on the illegal immigration issue is - if we have no intentions to enforce the law then change it to a workable solution. At a time of high unemployment we don't need a lot of new faces here to flood the job market so there must be some controls otherwise we need to get rid of citizenship, boarders etc everywhere (sounds like one world nation and one world govt :ahhhhhhhh which I don't want).

Big +1 on that Buster, I work in my wife's family business and we employ about 60 people at 3 manufacturing plants. At least half of our workers are Hispanic and we pay them the exact same wage as the white employees.

The Hispanic guys work hard are always on time and do what they need to do. Our business is hard work and a lot of the white kids we hire think it is too hard a work. A lot of them quit after a week or so on the job.

And the GOP did block legislation that would have put a tax credit in place for businesses that bring manufacturing jobs back to the US. And the only reason really was that Obama was for it.

Right now there is a large, and growing, consumer demand for American Made products. The series ABC news does now and then, Made in America, highlights some of the businesses and economic impacts around the locally produced goods. I don't remember the exact number, but a fairly small amount of money spent actually has a huge impact in the amount of jobs created.

The term 'job creators' needs to die. No rich guy or business is sitting around going "Damn, look at all this money! I should go hire some people" If that was the case Apple would have the largest workforce in North America.

The problem isn't hispanic workers, the problem is outsourcing all of our manufacturing and tech support to China and India and Southeast Asia where cost is 1/10th what it is here.

Which is also a problem for them because wages that low are borderline inhumane and contribute to the issues that these poverty-stricken areas have.