Stewart Mandel is not a Boliever

Hoke had experienced coordinators last year, while Bo did not. Who won more games again?

not sure what your argument is.

I'm saying that experienced coordinators don't always equate to success. Everybody seems to think that all we need to do is hired experienced coordinators, and then #BOOM, we'll be awesome. It's wrong. Borges was proven, Mattison was proven. Michigan went 7-6. Papuchis isn't experienced, Beck isn't experienced. Nebraska won 9 games.

There's far more than experience which can make up a good coaching staff.

i see. i was not really saying experienced coaches necessarily mean greater success. frankly, i like beck. i think pap might be a problem. i was just making comparisons between the two coaches. and one difference is that one prefers hiring from within and getting young coordinators, the other prefers more experienced coordinators.

my greater point was that if bo won a bcs game and then went 7-6, we would not be calling for his head. hoke was brought up because he is facing a situation similar to that (although, again, there would be differences. side note: both coaches were the most successful with other coaches' players). but, it was a fair point to bring up hoke.

furthermore, i think bo's problems run deeper than coordinators.

Hoke had experienced coordinators last year, while Bo did not. Who won more games again?

I'm saying that experienced coordinators don't always equate to success. Everybody seems to think that all we need to do is hired experienced coordinators, and then #BOOM, we'll be awesome. It's wrong. Borges was proven, Mattison was proven. Michigan went 7-6. Papuchis isn't experienced, Beck isn't experienced. Nebraska won 9 games.

Vision and identity for starters. Things which are severely lacking around Lincoln.

9 games. Always back to that. But it also always has 4 losses. And at least one to someone we have no business losing to, and at least one that is an embarrassment on the national stage. But lets all sit back, cheer and pretend everything is going to come up Roses next season.

Jeebus. Win a BCS bowl, and then go 7-6? You cant possible think that would go unscathed. It's be hell around here.

the argument was that there is a floor and we cannot get another coach here because they would be afraid to coach somewhere where 8 wins could get you fired. i was just arguing that a bcs win would buy a lot of slack.

as far as people calling for to's head after an 11-2 season, obviously we have lowered our expectations since then.

Jeebus. Win a BCS bowl, and then go 7-6? You cant possible think that would go unscathed. It's be hell around here.

the argument was that there is a floor and we cannot get another coach here because they would be afraid to coach somewhere where 8 wins could get you fired. i was just arguing that a bcs win would buy a lot of slack.

as far as people calling for to's head after an 11-2 season, obviously we have lowered our expectations since then.

I may have a hard time figuring out then what you meant by "calling for his head". After a 7-6 season, regardless what happened the year before, there would be howls from the faithful. Doesnt necessarily mean he'd actually be canned, cuz I think that would be ridiculous. But look at what just happened a few months ago. I wonder how many out of every 100 fans really went to bed that friday night 100 percent sure in their heart that Bo Pelini was still gonna be the coach come that Monday. I bet it was less than 5 of a hundred. And how many wanted him gone. Yet, he was still retained. But again, I guess I'm haveing a hard time gauging what youre getting at, so I shoulda just shooshed. LOL.

As far as the lowering of expectations since 1996? Meh. That's rather comical and obvious.

I may have a hard time figuring out then what you meant by "calling for his head".

it was fairly vague. i just think some meaningful win would give bo a lot of slack, basically.

As far as the lowering of expectations since 1996? Meh. That's rather comical and obvious.

i typed that with tongue firmly placed in cheek.

I agree that "that win" would give him some slack in a literal sense, as in he would have a longer leash before actually being fired. But as far as fans and us message boarders go, there wouldnt be any more slack than there is now, IMO. In fact, there would probably be less. It just seems like anymore, any sort of success breeds further insatiable expectations and greed. Like Bama fans literally pissed at Saban about the most flukish play in college football history. One frickin play in the middle of the multi-year run theyre in. It's really kinda surreal at times.

If Bo wins the Big 10 next year, it's gonna be NC or bust for 2015. Anything less than that will be viewed as unacceptable by many. And you can bet that regardless of how the season goes, it would lead to desires of a coaching change. I guess that could be seen as a positive in being raised expectations, but I see it as nothing less than total insanity and lack of perpective. :lol:

Vision and identity for starters. Things which are severely lacking around Lincoln.

9 games. Always back to that. But it also always has 4 losses. And at least one to someone we have no business losing to, and at least one that is an embarrassment on the national stage. But lets all sit back, cheer and pretend everything is going to come up Roses next season.

Vision and identity for starters also doesn't come with experience. There are people who just have a knack for it, it's not bounded by experience.

No one, not one person on here is pretending that everything is going to come up roses. Everybody knows Nebraska's situation: we're good and the talent is there, but things always find a way to not be good enough. There are just some people who envision us turning the corner. And there are some people who envision more of the same.

Who wouldn't want us to win more games? No one.

Vision and identity for starters also doesn't come with experience. There are people who just have a knack for it, it's not bounded by experience.

No one, not one person on here is pretending that everything is going to come up roses. Everybody knows Nebraska's situation: we're good and the talent is there, but things always find a way to not be good enough. There are just some people who envision us turning the corner. And there are some people who envision more of the same.

Who wouldn't want us to win more games? No one.

I was in agreement about not needing experience to have vision or identity.

There are people around here that believe fully that this team will win 10-11 and win the conference next season, which is why I capitalized Roses. And there is far, far too many 'moral victories' being taken also.

We've won ten regular season games in the past before. If we don't blow it in the postseason - totally possible of late, as demonstrated by the superlative effort vs Georgia - I think that's an entirely reasonable expectation. It's not as if the schedule is the toughest thing in the world. But it's never happened yet, so I'll believe it when I see it.

I just don't see any room for "The cards are stacked against us in this tough year 7, so we should all temper our expectations and be reasonable about a possible 8-5 year." Psh. Harry Potter messed up Voldemort in year 7. I think a CCG is reasonable to expect if this program is on the right trajectory.

Why does 9 wins even matter? We're not winning conference championships or playing in BCS games....so who cares? We haven't played in a BCS bowl since the 2001-2002 season. Since then, these teams have played in BCS bowls:

Washington State

Kansas State

Pitt

Utah

Virginia Tech

Penn State

West Virgina

Boise State

Louisville

Illinois

Hawai'i

Cincy

TCU

UConn

Clemson

Northern Illinois

Baylor

UCF

Those are teams that I feel like we should be a step above (based off of our 90s run, lol) but yet they've played in BCS bowls (some more than once) and we're stoked about Bo's 9 wins per season. I'd really like us to be in the top 15 annually and at least playing in the BCS bowls here and there. I don't put a lot of merit into 9 wins as we lose 3-4 against like competition or better competition and even then, we tend to stumble against lesser competition like Wyoming. After the Wyoming game this year where we gave up 600 yards and nearly lost, I thought, their QB is solid so I'm sure they'll have a good season behind that guy. Nope, they went 5-7 with crushing losses to Texas State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Boise State, Utah St etc. I guess Bo is the guy as long he wins 9 games. That said, I don't know if we will unless something changes. Here are my thoughts on the 2014 schedule:

FAU - W

McNeese State - W

Fresno State - should be a W

Miami - L

Illinois - W

Mich St - L

NW - L

Rutgers - W

Purdue - W

Wisconsin - L

Minnesota - W

Iowa - L

I'm guessing that we'll go 8-4/7-5 this season (like I guessed last season). Maybe 7 or 8 wins (depending on our bowl match up) will get us interested in trying to raise the bar and find another coach or unless Bo finally throat punches a ref (I kid, I kid).