How to bring the sides together?

I left this part out of the Frost blog because I think it deserves it's own thread, it's something that is going to need to be repaired for NU to ultimately bring NU to national prominence again.

Anti - present Husker v Pro - present Husker

What a Finish - LJS Frost Blog

-Finally, I would like to make this point. It has been fun for me to write this blog this year, but it has been amazing to me how much animosity there is between people on both sides of a lot of issues involving our program. Those differences in opinion shouldn’t have to escalate to the levels that many people seem to take it to. People should be able to make their points and “agree to disagree” without venomous personal attacks or comments that someone else is not a “real fan”. We all want to see the Huskers win. We all care more about our college team than any other fans in the nation. Questions and some criticism go with the territory in this business. Let’s keep some perspective and remember that we are all pulling for the same team.

I agree, unfortunately many fans along with other sites have self proclaimed "real fans" that have formed groups that do nothing more than attack any and all opposing views of theirs on the current staff and the last few years direction. More so clearly can't deal with any opposing views that are brought to the table....even if it is from x-players, coaches......fans etc (go figure).

Sadly Husker Nation has a divide that runs beyond football........but thats fine. Fortunately last time I looked I didn't like the HUSKERS due to others wishes, requests, and or views. I support them for the qualities, values and ethics that our fine institution / team represents in the great state of Nebraska and its people.

Thankfully and proudly I am a Nebraskan regardless and a Husker for life.

As for bringing the sides back together........were they ever together? I suspect there has always been a divide but the circumstances simply brought them to the fore front these past years. IMO, it really isn't a concern because everyone will continue to do what they deem is right in their eyes. I know I will.

Weasel

I agree, unfortunately many fans along with other sites have self proclaimed "real fans" that have formed groups that do nothing more than attack any and all opposing views of theirs on the current staff and the last few years direction. More so clearly can't deal with any opposing views that are brought to the table....even if it is from x-players, coaches......fans etc (go figure).

Sadly Husker Nation has a divide that runs beyond football........but thats fine. Fortunately last time I looked I didn't like the HUSKERS due to others wishes, requests, and or views. I support them for the qualities, values and ethics that our fine institution / team represents in the great state of Nebraska and its people.

As for bringing the sides back together........were they ever together? I suspect there has always been a divide but the circumstances simply brought them to the fore front these past years. IMO, it really isn't a concern because everyone will continue to do what they deem is right in their eyes. I know I will.

Weasel

Uh-huh, right. If you criticize anything to do with the Huskers, youre a hater. <_<

:sarcasm

I agree, unfortunately many fans along with other sites have self proclaimed "real fans" that have formed groups that do nothing more than attack any and all opposing views of theirs on the current staff and the last few years direction.  More so clearly can't deal with any opposing views that are brought to the table....even if it is from x-players, coaches......fans etc (go figure).

Sadly Husker Nation has a divide that runs beyond football........but thats fine.  Fortunately last time I looked I didn't like the HUSKERS due to others wishes, requests, and or views.  I support them for the qualities, values and ethics that our fine institution / team represents in the great state of Nebraska and its people.

As for bringing the sides back together........were they ever together?  I suspect there has always been a divide but the circumstances simply brought them to the fore front these past years.  IMO, it really isn't a concern because everyone will continue to do what they deem is right in their eyes.  I know I will.

Weasel

Uh-huh, right. If you criticize anything to do with the Huskers, youre a hater. <_<

lol.....for sure you are at some places / sites I've noticed.

Funny how when they were critical of past Huskers / coaches they were still "fans" though.....lmao

That however could hit them in the head directly and still not get their attention. It is great to be a fan of something, but when your eyes become completely blind to any and all issues / critiques...one has to wonder how they view the rest of the utopia of a world they live in?

Scary thought imo,

Weasel

I agree, unfortunately many fans along with other sites have self proclaimed "real fans" that have formed groups that do nothing more than attack any and all opposing views of theirs on the current staff and the last few years direction.  More so clearly can't deal with any opposing views that are brought to the table....even if it is from x-players, coaches......fans etc (go figure).

Sadly Husker Nation has a divide that runs beyond football........but thats fine.  Fortunately last time I looked I didn't like the HUSKERS due to others wishes, requests, and or views.  I support them for the qualities, values and ethics that our fine institution / team represents in the great state of Nebraska and its people.

As for bringing the sides back together........were they ever together?  I suspect there has always been a divide but the circumstances simply brought them to the fore front these past years.  IMO, it really isn't a concern because everyone will continue to do what they deem is right in their eyes.  I know I will.

Weasel

Without conflict - The world would be a pretty boring place. There's always going to be conflicting sides and one thing will UNITE them. WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :restore2

Husker nation didn't divide itself overnight. Steve Pederson did more to make a mess of things with his coach search and the way all that was handled. ie. the Houston Nutt debacle, and then Callahan fortunately falling into his lap. I wonder who would be here if Al Davis hadn't turned Cally loose. You really wonder.

There has really always been a divide. There are always people who are with it and people who aren’t. The latest changes have simply amplified the divide. It's really not specific to the Huskers either. I am sure most every team has this problem on some level or another.

As far as criticizing a team you like, you can and should do it when warranted. However, it is the content of the criticism that's important. It can't be demeaning, cynical or any other appropriate adjective. You surely want your team to be successful. Given that, the criticism has to be constructive, not destructive. It can't only be made up of backhanded, sly comments. Not even a majority. There has to be some kind of positive note, otherwise it does nothing but bring Husker Nation and the team in general down. On top of that, it leaves a bad taste your mouth.

How can you bring the two sides together? In many cases you can't. You can argue with people until you are blue in the face, but when you don't agree on what the problem is how could you ever agree on a solution? There lies the fundamental problem.

The best we can hope for is that Husker Nation somehow agrees to disagree on the biggest issues. All the while hoping that no matter who is coaching, who is AD or who is selling Runza's, come Saturday the Huskers come out victorious.

Road Rat: I'm at a loss as to what specific steps and the timing of those steps that you think Pederson should have made instead of the ones he did and when? To the AD it was obvious that a change had to be made with the HC. Given that, how could he have done the firing and the coaching search in a way that would have made you feel good about it?

Solich apparantly had made the AD and Chancellor upset by extending the coaching staff's salary extentions beyond what had been agreed upon earlier that year. HIs recruiting was so bad that some of the coaches didn't even go on the road! The AD couldn't recruit his replacement BEFORE terminating Solich and time was running out. Because Pederson thought that Houston McNutt WAS coming, and not back out at the last minute, there was obviously a delay. Some prospects were reluctant, because Solich had a good win/loss record that last year.

Please respond, definitively, as to what and when he should have made the change.

To much black and white... that is the problem not only with husker fans, but our country in general. What people have to realize that everything is in shades of gray. When you see something as being totally, completely evil, there is no room for naysayers, no room for disagreement, and the same can be said for good as well. Pederson is certainly not a saint, he isnt the best thing since sliced bread. He is too secertive, many say he is egotistical, but he certainly isnt a devil either. He does honestly care about the fans as evidenced by his devotion to making it possible for fans to get involved with the teams. He has created more opportunites for fans to see games, given us an expansion project and has helped out other sports greatly. As Dave said, the content of your criticism is very important, even when it is of other huskerboard members. If you dont leave room for the other side of the argument, than all you are doing is practicing a form of induvidual tyranny.

Roy Co Husker: If you remember Pederson denied he ever offered the job to Nutt. That caused a credibility problem right off. Then those pretend interviews he gave Gill and Pelini, tell me that didn't cause more division. Then there was this 30 day period when basically nothing happened while hearing the names of Al Saunders and I forget the guys name from the Cowboys. It was like Steve was on this top secret personal pilgrimage and all this led to was more distrust. Speaking of recruiting. Solich fired those lazy butts Tenopir and Young who refused to recruit on the road after the 7-7 season.

I don't think that Pederson was lying about Nutt. He gave Nutt the opportunity to seriously discuss it. Nothing moved. He had to give Peleni and Gill those interviews out of courtesy or it would have been worse. Why would you discuss sensitive queries and discussions with potential candidates wirth the public? No one would ever talk to you if you did, because they have employers and other options. Secret is not only good, but necessary.

You still have not answered my questions about specific moves and the timing if you were the AD. I don't believe you can and that's my point.

Oaky I'll answer the question. If I was the AD, I would have a new coach in place the day I fired Solich. Not go on the charade Peterson went on knocking on doors and being turned down. You can't tell me that you didn't think for a while it looked like no one was going to take this job until Callahan who was his 4th, 5th or 10th choice fell from grace in OAK. The heading to the topic is called "bringing the sides together". Maybe I should ask you how the job search unified this state because if you take a poll (except on this board) you would see that 50% of this state still doesn't trust Peterson today. Don't get me wrong I've been a husker fan for my 46 yrs on earth, and I certainly don't want to rehash the Solich firing, but it doesn't mean I have to blindly agree with everything that's happened the past couple years. Have a great day.

I won't go into whether I know for sure if Pedey offered the job to NUTT or not......but rest assured that Pedey "even" considering NUTT for the job concerned me!

I know several sources in Arkansas that were incredible happy that we were about to take him and then it feel through. To this day when we discuss football our family friend is still upset that they still have him and we don't.

All I can say is THANK GOD we got BC......otherwise we were screwed. Personally, I don't think Pedey is nearly as smart as he thinks he is...and is NOT good PR wise.....but when you have an ego like he does it probably doesn't matter to him.

Regardless.....he didn't exactly put NU in a positive light.......period.

Weasel