Former Nebraska Kicker Says He Was Openly Gay, Loved By Teammates

GSG

Knapp-an hour ago you said you didn't view my ideas as hateful. Now you're calling them bigoted hatespeach. Forget to tske you bipolar meds?
Here is what I don't understand about you. Why does this bother you so much? If you believe gay people are sinners, in what way does that affect you? There so called sins are not your sins. So, why are pushing the issue? It's not your place to judge. Let it go.

There are several reasons why this is important to me.

First I believe that the nuclear (father/mother/child) family is the ideal building block for a society.

Second, I do believe that the rise of gay rights comes at the expense of religious liberty. 3 examples out of many 1) earlier mentioned Christan Bakery. 2) Where I live a local church was forced to rent its parsonage to gay couple due to sexual oreintation ordinance 3) Catholic Charities no longer allowed to perform adoption services in several states because they won't adopt children out to gay couples.

Third, spiritual. to proclaim the Gospel, one must first point out the law. The law shows us our sin, and the gospel saves us from the eternal consequences of the sin. However, if people do not see the sin, then they think they have no need for a savior.

Fourth, personal (perhaps even selfish). My views and my heart haven't changed, however, while I was once seen as standing up for what is right, my view is now at times called bigoted. It saddens me to think of what my little girl will have to go through to stand up for her faith. I gauantee you that she is taught to be respectful of everyone, and to defend anyone who is being bullied, but my guess is that will not be reciprocated to her as she is bullied because of her beliefs.

The bolded seems to fly in the face of your own personal methods - your reference to the gambling whoremongers is very telling.

Either way, I think you are well intentioned. i do. But I also think you are being a bigot, and a bit ignorant and lacking sympathy for a people group. Even if you're not, you come across that way.

Want to know a secret? Would it surprise you to learn I was a Christian? Not just a church-goer, but an outspoken, born-again, hoping-to-plant-a-church evangelical Christian? Maybe not maybe you've lurked around for a while. But it's true, and the regulars on here know it and know what I'm about. It might surprise you even more that I agree about the sinfulness of homosexuality! But I don't make a big or focused deal about it, because the issue of sin is so much bigger than sexual orientation in my decaying heart and in everyone else's, and also because Jesus didn't focus on particular sins nor make a big deal out of them, but he approached the heart of people with redemption, grace and encouragement.

Anyways, the reason I ask is because I would bet you money that the majority of established posters on here would not describe me as a bigot or hateful, even though they know my stance and my sustaining faith. I would also bet the opposite of true of you. Chalk it up to whatever you will - hatred, ignorance, not being in touch, well-intentioned but misguided tactics/approach, whatever. I'm not claiming you to be a demon or lacking love, although it's possible. I'm saying that at the minimum, you are bearing witness to an abrasive, unattractive (not in the Christian self-fulfilling "Jesus said the world will hate me" kind of way; just an a-hole kind of way) gospel that doesn't seem to have any room left for redemption.

My only point in getting into this was to defend coach brown. I probably haven't done that very well.

I have no great desire to continue this. I will end it my participation by admitting that if the person who may share the closest world view to me thinks that I may be hate filled, lacking in love, ignorant, abrasive, and a demon; there is an outside chance that I did not spend my first 20 some posts on huskerboard putting my best foot forward.

Because churches currently have tax-exempt status, the government does have some say in what it perceives as civil rights violations.

There's usually a way to get the government off your case, but most parties aren't willing to give up the perks.

This thread seems to be winding down peaceably and respectfully, so it's worth noting that five years ago this same conversation would have been much less civil. Ten years ago it would have been much more violent. And twenty years ago nobody on a football fan board would ever have broached the subject.

The whole thing is moving fast. My ironclad beliefs aren't what they used to be either. Generally that's a sign of maturity.

Surprised to not see this mentioned.

http://www.omaha.com...SKERS/140219007

Eric says that several assistant coaches — he won't name names — started making comments about masculinity and femininity in his presence after they learned he was gay. That they gave him sidelong glances, brushed past him in the hall like a stranger, employed their own brand of under-the-radar animosity.

But Eric wants to point out that longtime assistant Ron Brown, a man who later vocally opposed Omaha's ordinance banning workplace discrimination against homosexuals, was not one of those coaches. Eric joined the post-practice and postgame huddles and bowed his head as Brown prayed.

He was specifically asked about Coach Brown, which is an utterly obvious question to ask in the wake of Brown's public testimony against basic human rights.

There is no "narrative" that explains why Coach Brown's lack of condemnation wasn't commented on. Coach Brown shouldn't specifically be commended for not openly condemning this guy.

In the immortal words of Chris Rock, "That's what you're supposed to do."

He was specifically asked about Coach Brown, which is an utterly obvious question to ask in the wake of Brown's public testimony against basic human rights.

There is no "narrative" that explains why Coach Brown's lack of condemnation wasn't commented on. Coach Brown shouldn't specifically be commended for not openly condemning this guy.

In the immortal words of Chris Rock, "That's what you're supposed to do."

I agree. I was late but the first page was a discussion on whether Ron Brown would make Eric feel uncomfortable and I had remembered reading this part in the omaha.com article so I thought I'd throw it out there.