Coaches Changing Their Approach This Spring

Pelini said Nebraska's coaches don't plan to get too deep into the playbook this spring. Teaching is the goal.

The offense is working to adjust to new terminology while simplifying its system. The defense skipped a day of scheme installation this week, Pelini said.

It's all by design.

“We're not going to overload these guys with the amount of football we're going to expose them to,” Pelini said. “We're going to make sure that we establish that foundation, the things that are going to carry us over into fall camp, and build on it from there.”

OWH

Simplifying the terminology on offense. Slowing down the installation of the defense. Working on the basics. Didn't think we ever did anything different.

Yeah, it's the season of pump-up stuff like this. Last offseason we weren't exactly regaled with stories about how nobody knew what was happening on defense, but that's what they're saying now.

There's nothing wrong with it, though. It's the nature of the offseason. The results may or may not live up to the talk, but you'd hope there's a lot of positive vibe during the spring, wouldn't you? Additionally, every year is an opportunity to build on and learn from the mistakes of the previous.

Yeah, it's the season of pump-up stuff like this. Last offseason we weren't exactly regaled with stories about how nobody knew what was happening on defense, but that's what they're saying now.

There's nothing wrong with it, though. It's the nature of the offseason. The results may or may not live up to the talk, but you'd hope there's a lot of positive vibe during the spring, wouldn't you? Additionally, every year is an opportunity to build on and learn from the mistakes of the previous.

Are you sure? (In my cousin Vinny voice)

The sunshine and happiness stuff can get worn out, but what else do we expect them to say. They aren't going to tell us everything that's going wrong or expose any weaknesses that they don't need to expose. So I get all that.

To me, this season just might be the one where I think they aren't entirely full of sh#t on some of this sunshine pumping. I mean, if you look at the talent across the board, the experience gained by all last year both offense and defense, there's no reason we shouldn't be looking like a damn good athletic ball team this spring.

As far as the simplifying statements go for me, anytime I hear these coaches say they are simplifying, I am a happy camper.