Where your tax dollars go in one chart

Buster what if the government still funded the those knew technologies but through research and universities instead of private contractors?

As Zoogies pointed out, there is already a lot of research funded by the government at Universities and for the most part, I am fine with that.

My comments were aimed at the point trying to be made that the defense budget doesn't add anything of intrinsic value to the country and is basically a dead end. While giving money to the poor through welfare produces growth.

Now, I have the feeling I have to keep saying this or someone is going to claim I hate the poor. I don't. I believe the assistance programs for people who need it are necessary. I also believe the defense budget needs to be cut back drastically and that money spent elsewhere.

Let's take the F-35 plane that I think all of us would claim is money spent that should go elsewhere. That didn't just plop into 3-4 evil rich people's laps. Yes, I'm sure there were some execs that got fat pay checks. However, there probably were thousands of people in Lockheed and the sub contractors under them that took home pay checks to their families.

As far as technologies, the military and NASA have produced amazing technologies that every one of us uses probably every day. These have spawned complete industries outside these governmental agencies which produce thousands of jobs and in many ways help society in general.

BRB, what if we took the money invested in the F35 and other military waste, and spent it on our failing infrastructure or green energy technology? Wouldn't people still be getting jobs and we'd be doing something useful with the money?

Great idea.

From post #59.

This post is just strange to me. Now, before I say anything, I am all for cutting defense spending mainly by shutting down most of the over 700 military installations around the world and bringing those Americans back home along with stopping the absolutely stupid production of expensive equipment the military doesn't even need or want. Take that money and invest in infrastructure.

This would bring military families home. It would save millions of dollars. It would create jobs for the people who we are bringing back and unemployed people already here. It would create opportunities for new private businesses to be created.

Meanwhile, put the military that we keep on the Mexican border and they can help keep the violence on the Mexican side.

BRB, what if we took the money invested in the F35 and other military waste, and spent it on our failing infrastructure or green energy technology? Wouldn't people still be getting jobs and we'd be doing something useful with the money?

Great idea.

From post #59.

This post is just strange to me. Now, before I say anything, I am all for cutting defense spending mainly by shutting down most of the over 700 military installations around the world and bringing those Americans back home along with stopping the absolutely stupid production of expensive equipment the military doesn't even need or want. Take that money and invest in infrastructure.

This would bring military families home. It would save millions of dollars. It would create jobs for the people who we are bringing back and unemployed people already here. It would create opportunities for new private businesses to be created.

Meanwhile, put the military that we keep on the Mexican border and they can help keep the violence on the Mexican side.

I told you it was a good idea!! :)

Great idea.

From post #59.

So after that earlier outburst you're agreeing with me?

Great idea.

From post #59.

So after that earlier outburst you're agreeing with me?

What earlier outburst are you talking about?

• 3 weeks later...

Pi8qqtF.jpg?2

Not sure how I feel about this...Thought provoking (I hope)...Could this work here? I suspect many would just go for the parties, or just try to maintain the minimum GPA to stay in school...but eventually, the cream? might have a more better chance to rise to the top..

Not sure how I feel about this...Thought provoking (I hope)...Could this work here? I suspect many would just go for the parties, or just try to maintain the minimum GPA to stay in school...but eventually, the cream? might have a more better chance to rise to the top..

It would have to be self-limiting by the entrance requirements and the fail-out requirements, which would be a very good thing. Currently too many kids go to college who shouldn't be there because the entrance requirements are so low. Do you know how f'ing stupid you have to be to get an 18 on the ACT? That's not college material. That person is better off going to community college, learning a good trade, and there's still money to be made that way. I think it would be good, and we already fund a lot of higher education through our public university system anyways.

But that is a very liberal (and smart) info-comic-graphic that you posted, something that makes your average conservative froth at the mouth. So I just wanted to check. Most conservatives say they believe in one thing, but when it comes to actually doing it, they somehow are against it because something something government overreach. Case in point, the majority of Americans are strongly in favor of the things that Obamacare does, yet they oppose Obamacare. Because....?????? Or "I want to help the homeless" or "I want to end world hunger" but then also "Welfare programs in this country are out of control!!!"

So I'm just doing an obligatory hypocrisy check. If you aren't a conservative then carry on.