#MarineHeldinMexico

I don't know if anyone is following this closely, but I was reading on Fox News that he was giving an interview to Greta Van Susteren. I will admit that I didn't know much about what was going on with this Marine and I hope he is okay and that things get sorted out quickly for him.

But something in the article struck me as odd. It states that he is originally from Florida and was in California seeking treatment from PTSD presumably from his tours in Afghanistan. And then he is driving around Southern CA with 3 guns in his possession.

After what has happened at Ft. Hood twice along with all of the other instances of violence at schools, theatres, universities, etc, why is someone who was openly seeking mental treatment allowed to own and/or carry a weapon?

I am all for people exercising their rights as gun owners but when someone purposely seeks professional help, shouldn't this throw up a red flag?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/29/marine-sergeant-jailed-in-mexico-on-gun-charges-speaks-exclusively-on-record/

I totally see what you're saying. Common sense tells us that person shouldn't have or be allowed access to guns. However, implementation of such a policy would be very tricky imo. How would it work? Would all guns be confiscated immediately after seeking mental help? Who is going to do the confiscating? I'm just not sure how this gets accomplished without some type of Orwellian government.

I totally see what you're saying. Common sense tells us that person shouldn't have or be allowed access to guns. However, implementation of such a policy would be very tricky imo. How would it work? Would all guns be confiscated immediately after seeking mental help? Who is going to do the confiscating? I'm just not sure how this gets accomplished without some type of Orwellian government.

Yeah, that's the key. If guns were confiscated as a matter of course in response to seeking mental help, then nobody would seek mental help. It might be best to handle the guns confiscation/mental health issue on a case by case basis. Perhaps check to see if the guy has done anything illegal when it's discovered that he is unbalanced.

In the military this already exist. If the marine lives on base all guns have to be kept in the arms section of each unit. If you want to go shooting or hunting. You just have to check it out by signing your name, date and time. Then same thing when you return it. Since he had them, i'd bet he either lives off base, just bought them or stole them.