What was the major influence for your love of football?

i was born in nebraska.

This. Also, my stepdad( I call him Dad) was a huge football fan and still is. I remember watching Broncos and Huskers games as far back as I can remember. We had a Bronco room in our house. I love those memories. As I grew older, I really started to respect Tom Osborne a lot. I found it amazing how hard his players played for him and each other. I liked watching the home grown Nebraska kids, sometimes walk-ons making a name for themselves on some damn great Championship teams. I also loved watching McBrides Blackshirts literally destroy their opponents. I mean literally. It was like those guys had murderous intent. I just love the game.

My Grandfather. I am pretty sure he loved Husker football more than my grandmother.

When I was about 4 or 5, I'm sitting with my Grandfather watch them play Oklahoma, He looks at me and asks what my favorite football team in the whole world is. I look at him and say, "Nebraska Grandpa". He just looks back at the tv and says, "good boy".

Fast forward almost 20 years. I'm shooting 9 holes with my Grandpa for his 77th birthday. We're about to tee off on a par 3, he's looking down at his ball, getting ready to swing, and says, "remember when I asked you what your favorite football team was, and you said Nebraska". I chuckled to myself and replied, "yes". He's about to swing, "you know if you'd have said anything different", he hits his shot then looks up at me, "I'd have disowned you".

I start laughing then, I realize he's not laughing, and turns around and starts walking to the green...

• Fire 1

Jay Novacek.

Gothenburg reference? or Cowboys?

My mom went to high school with him, so we ended up following the Cowboys. Started following the Huskers Frazier's Freshman season, I believe.

My aunt was in his class at Gothenburg. My dad was a few years older. Crazy.

Yep, your aunt and my mom probably know each other. Small world.