Entitlement Reform - farm subsidies

I have zero problems with SNAP in its current form

What about the 34 states that have waived any work requirement for able workers with no dependents for FY 2014? I think that's a problem. It's been a continual problem since the 2009 stimulus, actually. Also, when they waive the limit of time the benefits are able to be received don't you think that can create an environment where there is little incentive in finding work? I know that doesn't apply to every person using SNAP but it does happen. Whether or not you see that as a problem is on you though.

Corn should not be subsidized and SNAP should not be used for any junk food. Unfortunately the junk food makers have a lot of $. And they use a lot of corn.

I don't have a particular problem with crop insurance subsidies. The farmer shares in the expense, and it acts as a safety net for a very important but unpredictable industry (see what happened to farmers near Gibbon and Heartwell last week). Direct payments are a dumb idea, price supports are largely forbidden by the WTO, and the ethanol mandate is a really, really bad idea. The effect on food prices tends to get overstated, but it's my experience that using an E-10 blend will reduce mileage in my Camry by 15% or so.....so what's the point?

Regarding SNAP, it's a necessary program, but it needs to be narrowed in what it can be used to purchase. It's a bit of a kick in the groin as a taxpayer to see a woman whip out her EBT card to pay for frozen pizzas and potato chips while her kid stands behind her texting on his iphone. My inclination is to make it more of a coupon system, e.g. you can buy 4 gallons of milk, 6 loaves of bread, etc. per month.

Corn should not be subsidized and SNAP should not be used for any junk food. Unfortunately the junk food makers have a lot of $. And they use a lot of corn.

I don't have a particular problem with crop insurance subsidies. The farmer shares in the expense, and it acts as a safety net for a very important but unpredictable industry (see what happened to farmers near Gibbon and Heartwell last week). Direct payments are a dumb idea, price supports are largely forbidden by the WTO, and the ethanol mandate is a really, really bad idea. The effect on food prices tends to get overstated, but it's my experience that using an E-10 blend will reduce mileage in my Camry by 15% or so.....so what's the point?

Regarding SNAP, it's a necessary program, but it needs to be narrowed in what it can be used to purchase. It's a bit of a kick in the groin as a taxpayer to see a woman whip out her EBT card to pay for frozen pizzas and potato chips while her kid stands behind her texting on his iphone. My inclination is to make it more of a coupon system, e.g. you can buy 4 gallons of milk, 6 loaves of bread, etc. per month.

I don't know, 6 frozen pizzas for $10 is a pretty good deal. The problem is the cheapest food is also crappy for you. I'd love to say we should make people using SNAP assistance buy fresh fruits, veggies, and meat. But that stuff isn't cheap.

The idea of complaining about someone poor using a cell phone is also really shortsighted too. Sure, maybe their kid has a cell phone... but who has a home phone these days? My in-laws do and it is cheaper for me to have a two cell phone plan for my wife and myself, than it is for them to have a single landline. So... how is a person using SNAP having a cell phone actually a bad decision?

I'd love to say we should make people using SNAP assistance buy fresh fruits, veggies, and meat. But that stuff isn't cheap.

I don't know that it would save money but the benefits could be substantial.

I don't disagree. But it's going to cost more taxpayer dollars and you can see in this thread already how that is going to go down. People want to cut SNAP spending, not increase it.

The farm bill can definitely be modified and it was greatly modified this last year. I believe some direct farm payments were taken away.

I believe in a safety net for a farm bill. The insurance subsidies would fall under this. I am opposed to direct farm payments to farmers when you have corn WAY above break even prices. They should take the break even cost on corn (as an example) and go slightly below that for the floor for where subsidies should start. A farmer making really good money, living in nicer houses than most in town, going on 5 week long vacations a year should not be getting direct subsidies. You go slightly below the break even point so there is some risk. The farmer can lose money. BUT, if the farmer is a decent manager, he isn't going to be wiped out because of one or two bad years out of his control.

HOWEVER, our farm program has built the most reliable food production system the world has ever known. I believe this is a HUGE thing that we need to keep going. It is a national security issue along with any humanitarian benefits from it. We need to guarantee we have a stable and reliable supply of food.

BTW.....I know a lot of farmers who believe the same way I do.

I don't know, 6 frozen pizzas for $10 is a pretty good deal. The problem is the cheapest food is also crappy for you. I'd love to say we should make people using SNAP assistance buy fresh fruits, veggies, and meat. But that stuff isn't cheap.

The idea of complaining about someone poor using a cell phone is also really shortsighted too. Sure, maybe their kid has a cell phone... but who has a home phone these days? My in-laws do and it is cheaper for me to have a two cell phone plan for my wife and myself, than it is for them to have a single landline. So... how is a person using SNAP having a cell phone actually a bad decision?

It's going to end up on the taxpayer's tab one way or another. Moderately more expensive food now, or lots of taxpayer-funded healthcare to treat complications from obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease later. My calculation is that the better food now is the cheaper option. There would need to be price allowances built in though. I have no interest in paying for people's organic plantains at Whole Foods. The point of welfare is to keep a person alive and in good health, not to live better than rank and file taxpayers.

I'd love to say we should make people using SNAP assistance buy fresh fruits, veggies, and meat. But that stuff isn't cheap.

I don't disagree. But it's going to cost more taxpayer dollars and you can see in this thread already how that is going to go down. People want to cut SNAP spending, not increase it.

This is true. The conversation will probably never be about how to make the program better . . . it will always be about how to get it small enough to drown in a bathtub.

It doesn't have to be fresh fruits and veggies. Heck, even canned stuff is better than a friggen frozen pizza or other crap.

The toll this takes on our health care system is substantial. Let's just take one thing. My family doesn't drink pop hardly at all. We NEVER have it actually at home. I don't even remember the last time we purchased a case for at home. We drink water. Contrary to popular belief, tap water is just fine in almost all locations in the US. It is basically free.

There are ways to eat healthy and cheap. The problem is education and motivation of the people buying the food. It's easier to just pick up a frozen pizza and stick it in the oven than actually planning a meal around what is smart to eat.

It's going to end up on the taxpayer's tab one way or another. Moderately more expensive food now, or lots of taxpayer-funded healthcare to treat complications from obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease later. My calculation is that the better food now is the cheaper option. There would need to be price allowances built in though. I have no interest in paying for people's organic plantains at Whole Foods. The point of welfare is to keep a person alive and in good health, not to live better than rank and file taxpayers.

Again, I don't disagree, however it's never going to happen. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, I'm just saying it never will. The people on the far right will throw a fit about an increase in spending on food assistance programs. I've seen it locally in Urbana, IL. They started to allow you to use SNAP money at the farmer's market and people were flipping the hell out. "They don't need to be buying stuff at the farmer's market!!" They don't want them buying frozen pizzas, They don't want them buying fresh veggies. They really don't want them to be able to get assistance at all. You know it and I know it.

Regarding SNAP money going toward staples rather than garbage food, that's a swell idea and all, but that's predicated on the purchaser knowing how to make something nutritious out of what they buy. My experience is that people in this country, by and large, don't know how to make a meal from raw ingredients up. If you can't cook, buying onions, peppers, carrots, celery, garlic and the like won't do you a bit of good.

That's a bit of a tangent/personal rant, but it's part of the reality of the situation.

Regarding SNAP money going toward staples rather than garbage food, that's a swell idea and all, but that's predicated on the purchaser knowing how to make something nutritious out of what they buy. My experience is that people in this country, by and large, don't know how to make a meal from raw ingredients up. If you can't cook, buying onions, peppers, carrots, celery, garlic and the like won't do you a bit of good.

That's a bit of a tangent/personal rant, but it's part of the reality of the situation.

Sure, that's part of it, but some of it is time. If you are a single parent (as a lot of these poor families tend to have) I honestly don't know how they could possibly find time to cook while working and taking care of kids. I'm not a single parent and we can barely find the time to cook between working and actually spending some quality time with our two year old.

Completely agree. So...they end up buying crap because it's easy to stick in the microwave and we end up paying the price through health care.

This also takes a toll in other ways. I know a number of people who are on federal assistance due to "not being able to work". Well, it's many times because of complications from smoking, eating crap, diabetes....etc.

Just in our own small town, I can think of at least 5 people off the top of my head who could work if they didn't have health issues stemming from what I have listed.

Sure, that's part of it, but some of it is time. If you are a single parent (as a lot of these poor families tend to have) I honestly don't know how they could possibly find time to cook while working and taking care of kids. I'm not a single parent and we can barely find the time to cook between working and actually spending some quality time with our two year old.

There are healthier things to eat that are just as cheap and take just as little time to prepare than what much of the US actually eats for meals.