Bullocks and the draft

I've heard Kiper and others on 1620 this week all mention Bullocks looks like a second rounder. He was impressing all the scouts with his coverage and filling the gaps on the run. Bullocks was on yesterday afternoon and he said Josh gave him some pointers on what to work on. I didn't see much of the Senior Bowl today but one play I did see had Bullocks hurrying the QB.

When is the draft? What channel

not until mid-late April, not sure of the exact date. occasionally the draft starts on the same day as the spring game.

its on ESPN and then ESPN2. i don't know if NFL Network is planning coverage this year (god help us if three channels actually cover that "event").

sorry for the lack of details here but i think it usually starts about 9 or 10 central time??

if you've never watched before and if you're planning on watching out for Bullocks to be drafted this year: wait 3-4 hours after the start time of tv coverage. that's about when the mind-numbingly slow first round might actually end.

Bullocks has a lot of things going for him. I think 2nd round might be too high, but Safety is a tough place to fill with solid players. Bullocks has the brains and the pedigree - his brother has already shown that he's an NFL player and has the good citizen characteristics/work ethic to make it there. That isn't something the scouts discount.

Physically, he has decent size and speed combination. They might like to see him a bit taller and a bit faster, but he has NFL level numbers. If he runs well at the camp it will move him up quickly.

He can play in the box and can play a good defensive zone coverage. He's not a man-to-man coverage guy, nor is he an enforcer in the box. However, he brings a nice overall combination of skills to be successful.

My prediction is that he does well in the camp in goes in the 3rd round - I'm assuming he runs in the 4.5's sub 4.6 range.

--Alan...

Bullocks' NFL stock rises

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 - 01:51:22 pm CST

NU's Daniel Bullocks celebrates as he scores against Wake Forest. (AP File)

Daniel Bullocks clearly feels comfortable with his future, whether it’s in the NFL or otherwise. Perhaps his confidence and self-assurance help explain why NFL teams appear to have taken a keen interest in the former Nebraska safety during this crucial three-month period before the April 29-30 NFL Draft.

“I don’t have anything to lose right now,” Bullocks said. “I have my degree. My brother’s playing in the NFL. I don’t have any worries.”

His mind free of stress, Bullocks impressed NFL Draft gurus Gil Brandt and Mel Kiper Jr. last week with strong practices leading to the Senior Bowl on Saturday in Mobile, Ala. The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Bullocks capped the week with an eye-opening performance in the annual college all-star game, recovering two muffed punts — one in the end zone for a touchdown, the other to set up a touchdown.

At least 750 NFL representatives — general managers, head coaches, assistant coaches, personnel directors, scouts, agents, etc. — descended on Mobile last week. Bullocks played for the North squad, coached by the Tennessee Titans’ staff.

“I think he improved his draft status,” said Brandt, senior analyst for NFL.com and former player personnel director for the Dallas Cowboys. “He definitely took a step forward. That young man did the right thing by staying in school for his senior year. I know this, he’ll be drafted a lot higher than he would’ve been drafted had he left after his junior year.”

Added Kiper: “Bullocks had a nice week down there. He’s a productive player. He covered well, made plays. He’s a good tackler.”

Kiper projects Bullocks as a second-round selection, which puts him on the same plane as twin brother Josh Bullocks, who left Nebraska after his junior season in 2004 and was drafted in the second round (40th pick overall) by the New Orleans Saints. Playing free safety this past season, Josh Bullocks ranked fifth on the Saints with 67 tackles.

Daniel Bullocks, meanwhile, completed his college career at Nebraska in 2005 by ranking second on the squad with 83 tackles, including eight in the Huskers’ Alamo Bowl victory against Michigan. A co-captain last season, his 22 career pass breakups are the most ever by a Husker safety.

Advertisement

He said he traveled to Mobile “with the attitude that I wanted to showcase my talent.”

“I showed I can cover,” he said. “I showed I can make plays on the deep ball. I showed I can make plays in the box. I showed I can get to the football.”

Bullocks said during the week he spoke with representatives from no fewer than 15 NFL teams, including sit-down meetings with general managers from five teams — Atlanta, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati and Miami.

Bullocks plans to spend a few days in his hometown of Chattanooga, Tenn., before returning to a training center in Newark, N.J., where he’ll continue to train and perform the same drills that will be used at the Feb. 23-27 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. In addition to Bullocks, three other ex-Husker standouts will be among 325 participants at the combine — I-back Cory Ross and defensive tackles Titus Adams and Le Kevin Smith.

About 70 percent of the combine’s participants typically are selected in the NFL Draft, Brandt said.

In Bullocks’ case, it appears the question isn’t whether he’ll be drafted, but when he’ll be drafted.

“It just seems like it’s all falling into place right now,” Bullocks said.

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

i hope he goes to the only professional nfl team i root for.. the Green Bay Packers... they are in serious trouble after losing darren sharper to free agency(stupid mike sherman, thank god they fired his incompetent ass.. talk about taking a great team and running it straight into the ground).

I root for the Packers and love to see any Husker up there.. but its hard to say Sherman "ran" the team into the ground. The team had injuries to deal with for one thing (who WASN'T injured at RB this year?! Gado even got injured FGS!!). The WRs, good names but they were downright awful at times. The offensive line looked worse than the Husker line at times. and that defense-- ugh.

as i said i like to see any Huskers in Green Bay but they are going to suck for years, no matter who the coach is, and no matter what Favre decides to do. They need a safety- but they also need just about every other position too!

Atlanta, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati and Miami

interesting list. Bullocks and Ruud together again? or Demorrio and Bullocks? I kind of don't want Atlanta to draft another Husker DB. Dan may be a safety but every CB that goes there ends up tanking.

off topic as far as Bullocks but I would kinda like to see Ross end up in Denver. He's a fan and a near-Denver native. And they seem to have a rep for doing more with disregarded RBs.

i hope he goes to the only professional nfl team i root for.. the Green Bay Packers... they are in serious trouble after losing darren sharper to free agency(stupid mike sherman, thank god they fired his incompetent ass.. talk about taking a great team and running it straight into the ground).

I root for the Packers and love to see any Husker up there.. but its hard to say Sherman "ran" the team into the ground. The team had injuries to deal with for one thing (who WASN'T injured at RB this year?! Gado even got injured FGS!!). The WRs, good names but they were downright awful at times. The offensive line looked worse than the Husker line at times. and that defense-- ugh.

as i said i like to see any Huskers in Green Bay but they are going to suck for years, no matter who the coach is, and no matter what Favre decides to do. They need a safety- but they also need just about every other position too!

Atlanta, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati and Miami

interesting list. Bullocks and Ruud together again? or Demorrio and Bullocks? I kind of don't want Atlanta to draft another Husker DB. Dan may be a safety but every CB that goes there ends up tanking.

off topic as far as Bullocks but I would kinda like to see Ross end up in Denver. He's a fan and a near-Denver native. And they seem to have a rep for doing more with disregarded RBs.

i agree with your assesment except that they let too many guys go away on free agency and they looked absolutely awful at all positions. i guess i overreacted with my evaluation of mike sherman but he made a lot of decisions that turned out bad in the long run and thats the way it is i guess. hindsight is always 20/20.

Green Bay needs a safety and Bullocks may not be the best safety in the world right now but they need to reload on young talent and need to make big strides this offseason(the past several offseasons have not been good under mike sherman).

Strangely enough, I could see him going to Oakland and joining up wth Fabian in the Raiders' defensive backfield. They have a need for someone versatile who could step in and play pretty quickly. Schweigert seems to be developing into an excellent player and I think will have a solid season next year, but Cooper just has too many holes in his game to be a starter and someone like Bullocks could step in and play early, IMHO. Would be a good fit for the team and for Bullocks.