Injuries and Expectations

tschu

Defensive Losses: 2014 Expectations and Coaching  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After what I saw happen to our offense last year after losing starters throughout the year, losing three potential starters for the entire year before it has even started does not bode to well. I expected a 10-2 kind of year. I don't know if something like that is possible with this team because I figured the cream would rise to the top in our secondary by years end. It is the biggest unknown of what could be a great defense, but the could be part may now be more of a would have been. What could have been a rotation in the secondary may now resemble a stuck out there for every series plan.

Will these injuries doom us? Will the next man up be just as good, better, or worse? I don't know, but I am sure these guys not being able to play will hurt us more than it will help.

I expect them to make the B1G title game this year with either 0 losses or 1 loss.

Wisconsin is overrated...BIGTIME. They will continue to be this way all year long because of the weak schedule.

Iowa should make a good run but....they're Iowa and will lose to a team they have no business losing to.

Northwestern will be average this year in my opinion and take a step back on defense.

2 out of these 3 examples could be Nebraska

Because Nebraska lost all of its receivers (including tight ends) and all (all but 1?) of its front 7 on defense?

or because Nebraska has a cakewalk of a schedule?

I don't understand what it is you are asking

Fact is, under Bo Pelini thus far, it's been proven it takes years to comprehend his defense.

Players such as Randy Gregory, Maliek Collins, Lavonte David, Dejon Gomes and others that were not in the program for years might disagree. It's still about the Jimmys and Joes.

Well this Joe wants to point out that we could have the next David, Collins, Gomes, or Gregory making their first start in a few weeks. We seem to have a fear of the unknown. I have faith in our coaches to get everyone ready. I think we start out much better on D than we did last year regardless of these injuries.

I don't understand what it is you are asking

It was supposed to show Wisconsin, who replaces all of their starting receivers and 6 of 7 of their defensive line is definitely NOT Nebraska.

It was also to show that Iowa's easy schedule was definitely not Nebraska.

Northwestern I have no idea about...but I have to think that the Nebraska defense will be better than theirs.

So I don't understand how 2 of 3 of the examples could be Nebraska.

Ah. I see now.

You said Wisconsin was overrated and will be because of a weak schedule: Could make the case for Nebraska as well.

You said Iowa usually loses one they should win: Nebraska has done this I think every year under Pelini

You said that Northwestern would be average but their defense would take a step back. Losing 2-3 potential starters on our defense could mean the same thing.

Fact is, under Bo Pelini thus far, it's been proven it takes years to comprehend his defense.

Players such as Randy Gregory, Maliek Collins, Lavonte David, Dejon Gomes and others that were not in the program for years might disagree. It's still about the Jimmys and Joes.

Well this Joe wants to point out that we could have the next David, Collins, Gomes, or Gregory making their first start in a few weeks. We seem to have a fear of the unknown. I have faith in our coaches to get everyone ready. I think we start out much better on D than we did last year regardless of these injuries.

I agree. Despite the losses due to injury and suspension, we have a talented bunch of players all with experience in the system. I think the defense was coming around the second half of the season. I expect us to be really good at the beginning of the year, and maybe one of the best in the country by conference play.