Mitt

I watched the Romney documentary last night that covered Romney's 2008 and 2012 campaigns. My main takeaways were:

1. My god. Presidential campaigns look like hell on earth.

2. Romney in private is more likeable than the Romney presented as a candidate.

3. Personal likability aside, Romney in private seems to agree with some of the more noxious right wing talking points including the infamous 47% comment and a weird statement about [if Obama won re-election] the United States would hit a "tipping point" in the next five years. I didn't expect such nonsense in private from an intelligent individual.

Anyways. Has anyone else watched it? Thoughts?

• Fire 1

I watched the Romney documentary last night that covered Romney's 2008 and 2012 campaigns. My main takeaways were:

3. Personal likability aside, Romney in private seems to agree with some of the more noxious right wing talking points including the infamous 47% comment and a weird statement about [if Obama won re-election] the United States would hit a "tipping point" in the next five years. I didn't expect such nonsense in private from an intelligent individual.

I saw it when it first came out several months ago. I remember really enjoying it.

The documentary definitely should unlock the empathy valve for political junkies. Running for president is about the most stressful thing a person could willingly put oneself through, and that's just a run-up to the most difficult job on the planet. You're constantly trying to balance these competing and often exclusive ideological factions. Every decision you make is painted in the worst possible light with total disregard for the broader context. And if you're lucky enough to be president, your power is ultimately checked by the system and political necessity (which no one will remember or care to remember).

• Fire 1

I saw it when it first came out several months ago. I remember really enjoying it.

The documentary definitely should unlock the empathy valve for political junkies. Running for president is about the most stressful thing a person could willingly put oneself through, and that's just a run-up to the most difficult job on the planet. You're constantly trying to balance these competing and often exclusive ideological factions. Every decision you make is painted in the worst possible light with total disregard for the broader context. And if you're lucky enough to be president, your power is ultimately checked by the system and political necessity (which no one will remember or care to remember).

All of that and ultimately, Congress has more power.

I think this is probably true for almost all political people.

Maybe at the national level. I know a few politicians at the state level who are much more likable when they have their candidate facade on.

You are a democrat. Is there any other thought you think I should have, democrat?

You are a democrat. Is there any other thought you think I should have, democrat?

Nice of you to label someone you don't know and proceed to judge them. Great way to start off as a poster around this board.

And frankly, Carlfense's points were spot on. There is a level of noxious stupidity in Romney's belief of those statements.

• Fire 3

Circumstance may change - Romney may run in 2016

http://www.businessinsider.com/mitt-romney-2016-president-hugh-hewitt

Leads in new Iowa poll as the result of his 'change' comment. Not sure how much that tells us about Romney but perhaps more on the uninspiring list of potential candidates.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/08/27/Mitt-Romney-Huge-in-Iowa-Poll-for-2016

Regarding the original post: I agree, Romney seems to be more like able in private - thus the big push in the repub convention to point out his private humanitarian work that he doesn't broadcast. As a pol - not so nice - ask Newt. I don't think the repubs win 2016 if they rely on a 2 time loser (not meant derogatorily ) as their banner barrier. Time for a new face, new idea and a non-neocon. Moderate right candidate. Again I prefer a governor who has gotten things done in his/her state.

I don't think the repubs win 2016 if they rely on a 2 time loser (not meant derogatorily ) as their banner barrier.

Unless we enter another significant recession, enter another unpopular war, or the DNC frontrunner has some sort of meltdown . . . I don't think that the GOP will win regardless of who they run. Particularly if they continue to alienate Latino voters.