Ribs

OK....Teachercd asked in another thread how I do my ribs. I thought I would start a thread here for various versions on how everyone does them. I honestly have a number of different techniques that I use at various times. But, here is one I really like.

I like to use either baby backs or St. Louis style ribs. The St. Louis have to be trimmed well and on both styles, take the skin off the back.

I put a thin layer of yellow mustard on the ribs then rub them down with what ever your favorite BBQ rub is.

My smoker sits at about 250-275 pretty easily. I simply throw them on the smoker. If they seem to be getting dry, I might mist them down with apple juice.

I smoke mine with cherry wood. I have a ton of it from my mom's cherry tree dying and it's my reward for having to cut it down.

However, I don't over smoke. You can easily over smoke ribs. I will smoke it fairly heavily for the first hour then I really don't add much more.

The St. Louis ribs will take about 4 hours. The baby backs can get done sooner. They are both done when you bend them and the meat tears between the ribs easily. The mean will have pulled away from the ends of the bones also.

Now, when I do them for competition, ( won't do this just for a football saturday) I will now take the rack of ribs, squeeze soft butter over the top and wrap in aluminum foil (I have sprinkled brown sugar on top at this point too) and put back on the smoker for about 45 minutes to an hour. THEN, I take them out, brush BBQ sauce on the top. Watch them very close here because that sauce can burn. Just leave them on long enough for the sauce to caramelize just a little and get really shiny.

If done right, the meat should stay on the bone until you bite into it and then it should pull of easily.

So....how do others do them?

Sounds good BRB. I have only smoked ribs a few times. I will put rub on them the night before (I also use the mustard method for the rub). I prefer spare ribs vs. baby back because the spare ribs have more meat (that's what she said). I know St. Louis-style ribs call to cut off the top meat section to make an even set of ribs, but I like to keep it on. That's some good meat there!!!

I prefer my ribs dry vs. wet, but I do generally make a couple different BBQ sauces for the side. The sauce is a basic Sweet, Ketchup-based, KC-style sauce. But, I will usually make a spicier sauce, along with the sweet sauce.

I started with the amazingribs.com method, and have experimented from there.

I've been using a smokenator with my Weber kettle, and it works well. These were the first I did. I've done ribs, butt, chicken, turkey, ham, etc... It works wonders.

zFkTMg2.jpg?1?4583

p0mbzhq.jpg?1

My wife got me a Party Q temp controller that I plan on using for this week. If all goes well, I plan on doing an overnight brisket for one of the early kickoffs.